Jump to content

Game 1- South Dakota State


Recommended Posts

We're just a little more than 2 weeks out to the opening of the season and I'm just so damn ready for hoops to start that I thought I'd get the ball rolling with the game 1 thread.

 

The reigning Summit League regular season and tournament champion Jackrabbits of South Dakota State come to the JAR to open the season on November 7th.  SDSU was picked to finish second in the Summit League preseason poll (behind Oral Roberts). Last year, the Jackrabbits had the first undefeated regular season in Summit League history.  THe Jackrabbits fell to Providence 66-57 in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

 

Last year’s Summit League Sixth Man of the Year 6-8 Forward Luke Appel (11.1 ppg/4.2 rpg) is joined by 6-3 guard Zeke Mayo (10.6 ppg/2.7 rpg/2.1 apg) on the Summit League Preseason First Team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, zipsrule said:

Football went digital for tickets and basketball is still printing them?

 

Basketball still has wooden bleachers that destroy the lower back. Keeping it old school with tickets, too. 

 

 

Regarding this game, this is quite the home/season opener. SDSU is a perennial tourney team with some notable March Madness upsets - EDIT: THIS IS ERRONEOUS ON MY PART. They've only ever come close to upsets, and have 6 first round losses since 2012 (their first NCAA tourney appearance). No idea what to expect from the Zips, but I'm hyped for this game. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

Basketball still has wooden bleachers that destroy the lower back. Keeping it old school with tickets, too. 

 

 

Regarding this game, this is quite the home/season opener. SDSU is a perennial tourney team with some notable March Madness upsets. No idea what to expect from the Zips, but I'm hyped for this game. 

 

I like their schedule.  Their OOC is:  UA, Boise State, St. Bonaventure, Arkansas, Stephen F, Austin, Valpo, James Madison, PCCC, Alabama, Montana, E. Washington, Mount Marty and Bellevue.  I have no idea who those last two are but the rest is fairly solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will be an awesome opener. And I can already see the meltdown that ZN will have if the Zips drop it. Some folks will probably blame the Point Park and Wheeling game from last year.
 

Anyway, the title defense starts now. It’s been 20+ years since someone not called Buffalo repeated in Cleveland. The Zips strike me right now as a team that would be kind of like that 2016 UB team. Lose a few big pieces from a title run, adds a few big contributors, but everyone forgets about you when you underwhelm a little bit based on expectation. Then you’re right back at the end raising the trophy. 
 

Did you see Toledo got a point in the first AP poll of the year? UT may very well end their tournament drought this year. But they lost Rollins and added a couple nice transfers. But they’ve still totally choked in the MAC semis back to back years. But nobody ever seems to take that into account, and they’ll probably be the preseason favorite again. Whatever. Love me some Groce basketball, and the weather is telling me it’s time to see some Zips basketball!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

 

Did you see Toledo got a point in the first AP poll of the year? UT may very well end their tournament drought this year. But they lost Rollins and added a couple nice transfers. But they’ve still totally choked in the MAC semis back to back years. But nobody ever seems to take that into account, and they’ll probably be the preseason favorite again. Whatever. Love me some Groce basketball, and the weather is telling me it’s time to see some Zips basketball!

Toledo and choking in the postseason...name a more iconic duo

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I predict a low scoring win for the Zips. Neither kangaroos nor jack rabbits have exceptional shooting skills although I recall seeing one do some shooting in a Crocodile Dundee movie. I expect the Zips to control the paint because Kangaroos are bigger than jackrabbits and can jump higher. GO ZIPS.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I never received my season tickets in the mail. Someone mentioned the football team went digital only for tickets, which is fine because I have no problem using my login to pull up my ticket. My question is how does parking work without the parking passes they use to send?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I never received my season tickets in the mail. Someone mentioned the football team went digital only for tickets, which is fine because I have no problem using my login to pull up my ticket. My question is how does parking work without the parking passes they use to send?

I think if you call the ticket office they will print tickets for you.  They are doing the parking electronically if you are in one of the lots.  The ticket office should be able to give you the link for that.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Curious to see Amani Lyles.  Given his size, he could be a nice replacement for Ali.  Groce doesn't seem to use freshman a lot, at least since his first year but I think Lyles might fit in quickly.

 

Ali happens to be one of those true freshmen that Groce used consistently 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, NWAkron said:

I don't recall this being posted, but this is the first time I've seen it.  Will get you pumped for Monday:

 

 

Special team. 2019-20 and 2021-22 are my 2 favorite Akron squads of all time. What that team did last year to pull together through all the adversity and not only beat KSUcks by 20(!) in the MAC Title game, but also come within a couple of baskets of knocking off UCLA in the NCAA Tourney - legendary team. 

 

The newcomers this year need to understand what happened last year. The sooner they figure that out, the sooner they buy in, the better off we'll be in the long run. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

Special team. 2019-20 and 2021-22 are my 2 favorite Akron squads of all time. What that team did last year to pull together through all the adversity and not only beat KSUcks by 20(!) in the MAC Title game, but also come within a couple of baskets of knocking off UCLA in the NCAA Tourney - legendary team. 

 

The newcomers this year need to understand what happened last year. The sooner they figure that out, the sooner they buy in, the better off we'll be in the long run. 

That 3 game skid PCCC, WMU, and NIU felt like an eternity.  Of course, how the PCCC game ended sent us and apparently the team into a spiral.  Then they dumped Trimble and won out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...