TIPOFF RECEPTION at the JAR ARENA - THURSDAY, NOV. 3 at 7 PM

Akron1

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If that rendering is what we'll get, why bother? I don't see any benefit aside from a slightly better sightline without the railing. This most likely reduces capacity (right side upper level would no longer be bleachers) and simply copies any modern high school gym aesthetically. 

I hope this is an "under promise, over deliver" situation. 

I don't think reducing capacity is necessarily a bad thing if its made up for in other ways. Student population is about half what it was a decade ago and "Joe Akron" doesn't come out to support the Zips like they did during the Dambrot years, though we've put together some of our best teams during Groce's tenure thus far.

20 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't think reducing capacity is necessarily a bad thing if its made up for in other ways. Student population is about half what it was a decade ago and "Joe Akron" doesn't come out to support the Zips like they did during the Dambrot years, though we've put together some of our best teams during Groce's tenure thus far.

Reducing capacity in certain ways is acceptable, you're right. I just don't think simply replacing wooden bleachers with plastic seats/bleachers is an acceptable method of reduction.

Also, are we not going to have seating behind the baskets?

10 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I can't imagine moving forward without the iconic glass rail.

The downstairs seating and sightlines are okay.  Upstairs, not so much.  All in all, I find the place place just adequate and worse than the average D1 basketball facility.  It has always struck me that we get to watch really awful football in a nice facility while we get consistently good basketball in a below average one.  I am happy, however, that the JAR is superior to the Brimfield Animal Husbandry and Agriculture Center.  That place has awful sightlines from the GA seats.

Heck, the Canton Civic Center, which is a dump built in the early 1950s, is a superior basketball facility to the JAR and the the PCCC BAHAAC.

This doesn't even go into how much more use the community would get out of the arena compared to the football stadium. Infocision gets used for 5 home games per year then maybe a handful of high school games.

The basketball arena houses 3 Zips sport teams, high school graduations, and if it wasn't a dump could host concerts and other similar type events

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to that rendering it doesn't look like there are chair back seats in any of the upper sections; north, south, east, or west. 

And there's no way with the track still there that they'd be able to do away with the railing around the track. People would definitely fall into the lower sections. Lol

I've been a diehard Zips fan for so long that I have a lot of warm fuzzies associated with the JAR, but I can say objectively that the JAR utterly blows in every conceivable way.

tenor-211069032.gif.a81a2d060962f055042a5fcb69cbf722.gif

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, a-zip said:

Pet peeve for me.  If you go to the roster section on the website, there are no pictures of the players yet (except for Enrique F).  Cmon

I looked at every other school in the MAC and they all have team pictures, individual pictures and some of the stars have action pictures.  Pretty lame IMHO.

It's not that hard 😕

13 hours ago, a-zip said:

I looked at every other school in the MAC and they all have team pictures, individual pictures and some of the stars have action pictures.  Pretty lame IMHO.

It's not that hard 😕

Try doing it without a Marketing Director, and only two SIDs, 1 videographer and 3 GAs wit zero experience covering football, mens and womens soccer, volleyball swimming and diving, rifle and now mens and womens basketball all at the same time.  You can put lipstick on the JAR with new lighting and a new floor, but you gut the admin staff and expect "other school in the MAC" amenities?

18 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

Try doing it without a Marketing Director, and only two SIDs, 1 videographer and 3 GAs wit zero experience covering football, mens and womens soccer, volleyball swimming and diving, rifle and now mens and womens basketball all at the same time.  You can put lipstick on the JAR with new lighting and a new floor, but you gut the admin staff and expect "other school in the MAC" amenities?

I'm pretty sure I could do it in less than an hour, Captain K could probably do it in 30 min.  One of these folks could likely do it in 15 min with eyes closed UA Computer Science Degree