Jump to content

Game 9- Miami


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

This is what blows me away. You dominate the stats but still lose by 18 points. It’s like Groundhog Day every Saturday. I see so many things that give me hope but ultimately get kicked in the nuts again every week. Painful 

D215C6D3-FFD7-4A81-89E0-6FCCCC84B636.jpeg

Mistakes will kill you.  Look at:

-Turnovers

-Sacks

-Penalties

This tells me the whole scary story!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Between the Zips, the Browns, and Chippewa High School, I’m about to become a front runner. They’re a combined 6-15. 
 

I’m starting to understand Buckeye honks. I may need counseling…

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

This is what blows me away. You dominate the stats but still lose by 18 points. It’s like Groundhog Day every Saturday. I see so many things that give me hope but ultimately get kicked in the nuts again every week. Painful 

D215C6D3-FFD7-4A81-89E0-6FCCCC84B636.jpeg

We live in a world where statistics have taken the place of game analysis. It's why Americans no longer really understand the sports they watch, especially baseball. For example, a player does not hit a home run because of exit velocity. The home run is a result of a series of events that happen in a 2-5 second period and announcers are no longer capable of articulating those events because they are too busy discussing nonsense.

 

The numbers above only appear to show Akron dominated the statistics. In reality, they lost all of the meaningful statistics. Teams don't win games. The other team typically loses the game. Let's review. 

 

Akron had 3 turnovers to Miami's zero. It's almost impossible to win a game when this statistic is this lopsided. Akron had more penalties and penalty yards. Akron gave up more sacks. Sacks are drive killers. 

 

Discipline and efficiency wins football games. Show me the statistic above where Akron outperformed Miami in a MEANINGFUL way yesterday. Where is a meaningful statistics like first down yardage or the average yards to gain a first down on second down?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, GP1 said:

We live in a world where statistics have taken the place of game analysis. It's why Americans no longer really understand the sports they watch, especially baseball. For example, a player does not hit a home run because of exit velocity. The home run is a result of a series of events that happen in a 2-5 second period and announcers are no longer capable of articulating those events because they are too busy discussing nonsense.

 

The numbers above only appear to show Akron dominated the statistics. In reality, they lost all of the meaningful statistics. Teams don't win games. The other team typically loses the game. Let's review. 

 

Akron had 3 turnovers to Miami's zero. It's almost impossible to win a game when this statistic is this lopsided. Akron had more penalties and penalty yards. Akron gave up more sacks. Sacks are drive killers. 

 

Discipline and efficiency wins football games. Show me the statistic above where Akron outperformed Miami in a MEANINGFUL way yesterday. Where is a meaningful statistics like first down yardage or the average yards to gain a first down on second down?

Obviously, losing the turnover battle 3-0 is the biggest statistic. But yes, there are some MEANINGFUL statistics that they won. When you win first downs 20-13 that is meaningful. That means you were moving the ball. When you have 316 yds passing and almost 400yds of total offense that is also meaningful. Any coach would tell you that those are meaningful. These stats but scoring only 9 points shows that you can’t finish. Their red zone efficiency is terrible.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Obviously, losing the turnover battle 3-0 is the biggest statistic. But yes, there are some MEANINGFUL statistics that they won. When you win first downs 20-13 that is meaningful. That means you were moving the ball. When you have 316 yds passing and almost 400yds of total offense that is also meaningful. Any coach would tell you that those are meaningful. These stats but scoring only 9 points shows that you can’t finish. Their red zone efficiency is terrible.  

400 yards of offense with 9 points, 6 of which were in garbage time is not meaningful. I would say those yards are shallow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The stats demonstrate that it is much more difficult to pass the ball inside the twenty than it is the rest of the field.  The field shrinks down deep and the pass is easier to defend because there's so much less ground to cover and an additional boundary involved.  That's why it's important to be able to run the ball.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

We live in a world where statistics have taken the place of game analysis. It's why Americans no longer really understand the sports they watch, especially baseball. For example, a player does not hit a home run because of exit velocity. The home run is a result of a series of events that happen in a 2-5 second period and announcers are no longer capable of articulating those events because they are too busy discussing nonsense.

 

The numbers above only appear to show Akron dominated the statistics. In reality, they lost all of the meaningful statistics. Teams don't win games. The other team typically loses the game. Let's review. 

 

Akron had 3 turnovers to Miami's zero. It's almost impossible to win a game when this statistic is this lopsided. Akron had more penalties and penalty yards. Akron gave up more sacks. Sacks are drive killers. 

 

Discipline and efficiency wins football games. Show me the statistic above where Akron outperformed Miami in a MEANINGFUL way yesterday. Where is a meaningful statistics like first down yardage or the average yards to gain a first down on second down?

Thank you for repeating my post above.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Okay, I really hate the non-stop music but if we have to have it, how about a playlist that reflects how we feel about Akron football the last 7 years and what we are seeing out on the field:

 

“Sad Day”—The Rolling Stones

“I Feel Like Dying” – Lil Wayne

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones

Wasted Time by The Eagles

 

Anyone else want to add to the playlist?

 

Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar

The Impossible Dream - Man of La Mancha

The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow - Annie

 

(pardon the show tunes / all I got 😒)

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

 

Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar

The Impossible Dream - Man of La Mancha

The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow - Annie

 

(pardon the show tunes / all I got 😒)

 

Everybody Hurts- REM

Just a Dream- Carrie Underwood

Here Comes the Rain Again-  Eurythmics

Loser- Beck

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

Everybody Hurts- REM

Just a Dream- Carrie Underwood

Here Comes the Rain Again-  Eurythmics

Loser- Beck

 

Bad Day:  Daniel Powter

The Winner Takes it All (the loser's standing small):  ABBA

Send in the Clowns:  A Little Night Music

Ship of Fools:  Erasure

Say a Little Prayer:  Dionne Warwick

Bulletproof:  La Roux (for all the long-suffering fans)

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Okay, I really hate the non-stop music but if we have to have it, how about a playlist that reflects how we feel about Akron football the last 7 years and what we are seeing out on the field:

 

“Sad Day”—The Rolling Stones

“I Feel Like Dying” – Lil Wayne

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones

Wasted Time by The Eagles

 

Anyone else want to add to the playlist?

 

"Doing It Wrong" - Drake

"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers

"How Do I Live" - LeAnn Rimes

"Crying" - Roy Orbison

"All By Myself" - Eric Carmen

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Jock Strap Full of Kryptonite” – Spin Doctors

“Fall: Some InfoCision Blues” – Johnny Cash

“I’m One-winning” – Santana

“Redzone Paranoid” – Black Sabbath

“You’re 4th and 1” – Orleans

“Kickers Just Keep Getting’ Harder to Find” – Paul Revere and The Raiders

“99 Problems (and the Zips ain’t solved one)” – Jay-Z

“Negative Yardage Carry” – Til Tuesday

 “Smells Like Crushed Spirit” - Nirvana

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The stats demonstrate that it is much more difficult to pass the ball inside the twenty than it is the rest of the field.  The field shrinks down deep and the pass is easier to defend because there's so much less ground to cover and an additional boundary involved.  That's why it's important to be able to run the ball.

I know Coach Moorehead likes a wide open game but he doesn't quite have the horses to play as wide open as he would prefer. You are correct about the 'red zone' offense. You have to present a legitimate threat to be able to run or you end up throwing into a ton of coverage. But, the run game hasn't been consistently effective all season. And, when your offense is turning the ball over as much as the Zips' offense you need to slow the game down at times to give your defense,such as it is, a break. Hopefully, the coaching staff will look at it in the offseason.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The stats demonstrate that it is much more difficult to pass the ball inside the twenty than it is the rest of the field.  The field shrinks down deep and the pass is easier to defend because there's so much less ground to cover and an additional boundary involved.  That's why it's important to be able to run the ball.

 

This is 100% the correct answer. Akron has no real running threat outside of Kato dropping back for a pass, eluding 1-2 defenders, and then taking off for some yards. The redzone efficiency will improve once we can get a run game that other teams have to respect. It puts you in more makeable down and distances, helps you on 3rd/4th and short yardage, and helps get receivers open on playaction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

 

This is 100% the correct answer. Akron has no real running threat outside of Kato dropping back for a pass, eluding 1-2 defenders, and then taking off for some yards. The redzone efficiency will improve once we can get a run game that other teams have to respect. It puts you in more makeable down and distances, helps you on 3rd/4th and short yardage, and helps get receivers open on playaction.

Kato?  LOL.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...