MAC Tourney Championship Game - Nov 12 v WMU

• Zip_ME87 changed the title to MAC Tourney Championship Game - Nov 12 v WMU

Congrats on winning the MAC Regular Season, Akron! Your prize is to play one more game against WMU because we're a pathetic conference that, instead of just sending our regular season champion to the NCAA Tournament, we're playing a 1 game playoff. 

I didn't even realize they ditched the MAC Tournament, and that this was for the MAC Title Game. 

I. Hate. The. MAC.

season 6 dancing GIF

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Is there any chance that the MAC drops sponsoring Men's soccer next year?  Would love a chance to freely join a conference with a full roster of teams and a real tournament.

I'm pretty sure the MAC needs to add a 6th team next year to keep the automatic bid. I think a conference can only have under 6 teams one year and keep the automatic bid. So they'll likely just add a new team who is looking for a soccer conference in order to keep the bid. Like when they added Georgia State and Georgia Southern for one year, last year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, indians4841ks said:

I'm pretty sure the MAC needs to add a 6th team next year to keep the automatic bid. I think a conference can only have under 6 teams one year and keep the automatic bid. So they'll likely just add a new team who is looking for a soccer conference in order to keep the bid. Like when they added Georgia State and Georgia Southern for one year, last year.

Put me in the camp of "the conference with one of the most respected and successful college soccer programs should not be a revolving door with AQ pending year in and year out, and the member school that is one of the most respected and successful college soccer programs should take their ball and find a new conference that will properly support them."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Put me in the camp of "the conference with one of the most respected and successful college soccer programs should not be a revolving door with AQ pending year in and year out, and the member school that is one of the most respected and successful college soccer programs should take their ball and find a new conference that will properly support them."

That is an excessively long title for a camp.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Is there any chance that the MAC drops sponsoring Men's soccer next year?  Would love a chance to freely join a conference with a full roster of teams and a real tournament.

Oh, how I wish!

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Guthrie has told Jared that he will not insist they stay in the MAC, unlike previous AD's. He realizes the MAC is s**t in soccer, changes year to year and has no solution for the future. To that end Akron has been voted in by the coaches in the Big East. The next step is to get the AD's to vote them in. If the AD's vote Akron in for soccer the presidents are likely to follow. The problem is that college athletics are changing so fast the AD's want to adopt a wait and see attitude as akron will only be coming in for soccer. The assistant commissioner of the Big East in charge of supervising soccer is all in favor of adding Akron. He has argued that Akron can be invited in on a yearly conditional basis for now. Akron would be OK to go that way also. The Big East could then ditch Akron if the shifting scene of college athletics dictated that they dissolve the relationship. If there are no changes that affect a Big East membership for Akron the Zips would then stay in the Big East for soccer only. Our addition helps the Big East in soccer. Possible win-win. Stay tuned. The ball's in the AD's court.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Guthrie has told Jared that he will not insist they stay in the MAC, unlike previous AD's. He realizes the MAC is s**t in soccer, changes year to year and has no solution for the future. To that end Akron has been voted in by the coaches in the Big East. The next step is to get the AD's to vote them in. If the AD's vote Akron in for soccer the presidents are likely to follow. The problem is that college athletics are changing so fast the AD's want to adopt a wait and see attitude as akron will only be coming in for soccer. The assistant commissioner of the Big East in charge of supervising soccer is all in favor of adding Akron. He has argued that Akron can be invited in on a yearly conditional basis for now. Akron would be OK to go that way also. The Big East could then ditch Akron if the shifting scene of college athletics dictated that they dissolve the relationship. If there are no changes that affect a Big East membership for Akron the Zips would then stay in the Big East for soccer only. Our addition helps the Big East in soccer. Possible win-win. Stay tuned. The ball's in the AD's court.  

Holy smokes. You rock for this info. 

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

That sounds very nice, but so long as the MAC maintains an NCAA tournament slot -- and they just need to find one more member to maintain that -- the MAC is not just going to sit back and allow their prize cow to run away.  I'm guessing the conference would have the final say.  But that said...I wonder what the rest of the MAC soccer-playing schools are up to... 🤔

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

That sounds very nice, but so long as the MAC maintains an NCAA tournament slot -- and they just need to find one more member to maintain that -- the MAC is not just going to sit back and allow their prize cow to run away.  I'm guessing the conference would have the final say.  But that said...I wonder what the rest of the MAC soccer-playing schools are up to... 🤔

The conference does not have final say. Otherwise, Texas & Oklahoma wouldn't be allowed to leave the Big 12.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The conference does not have final say. Otherwise, Texas & Oklahoma wouldn't be allowed to leave the Big 12.

Are you certain about that if we’re only moving the Mens Soccer team? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Are you certain about that if we’re only moving the Mens Soccer team? 

Buffalo dropped soccer, WVU/GA State/GA Southern/FIU all came and went, etc.

If Guthrie is telling Embick that he won't restrict us to the MAC, I'm quite confident - as long as we have a place to go - we can tell the MAC to kiss our butt. Plus, if we leave, the MAC won't have enough members yet again. I can't imagine there being a huge push for outside schools to come to the Akron-less MAC for soccer. They'd probably drop the sport completely - like men's hockey - and WMU/NIU/BUGS would just find a new conference. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Bush league of the other MAC members not sponsoring Men's Soccer. The World's Sport.  Nowadays that's almost as bad as us formerly not sponsoring a freaking baseball team.

There should be four staples: football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Big East has nine D1 soccer teams in Top 100 RPI, and 11 current member schools.  That would be quite the impressive conference, with Akron being a natural geographic fit in the west of the conference, alongside Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Marquette, and Creighton.  

I bet that the MVC or Horizon League would be happy to welcome NIU, Chicago St, WMU and BGSU.   Western and Bowling Green both would likely win either one of those conferences. 

The only independents this year the MAC could pick up is UIW and Hartford, neither of which make much sense for the conference - this year more than most others is probably the right year to dissolve MAC Men's soccer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Big East has nine D1 soccer teams in Top 100 RPI, and 11 current member schools.  That would be quite the impressive conference, with Akron being a natural geographic fit in the west of the conference, alongside Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Marquette, and Creighton.  

I bet that the MVC or Horizon League would be happy to welcome NIU, Chicago St, WMU and BGSU.   Western and Bowling Green both would likely win either one of those conferences. 

The only independents this year the MAC could pick up is UIW and Hartford, neither of which make much sense for the conference - this year more than most others is probably the right year to dissolve MAC Men's soccer.

I'm out of reactions, which is probably a good thing since I won't be able to spam the "sad reaction" to any football posts tonight, but this is well researched. 

The Big East makes 1000% sense for us. Xavier, Creighton, and Georgetown are traditional soccer powerhouses. Butler has come on strong in recent years, and the rest of the conference is no slouch with Seton Hall, St. John's, etc. You make an excellent point with the geographic fit, as the Big East has shifted more and more to the midwest with their basketball acquisitions. 

I didn't realize that UIW and Hartford (for a laugh, research their men's basketball program right now) were the only 2 independents left. That's even more reason to get the hell out of the MAC after this season. 

Side note: I wonder if a Big East soccer membership would help get some Big East schools on our basketball schedule. That would be a phenomenal perk. 

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bush league of the other MAC members not sponsoring Men's Soccer. The World's Sport.  Nowadays that's almost as bad as us formerly not sponsoring a freaking baseball team.

There should be four staples: football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.

The MAC has been a boat anchor for its top schools. Steinbrecher is a joke. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The point is, the MAC CAN stop Akron from moving to another league for soccer only (so long as the conference continues to sponsor men's soccer). It sounds like you're talking about another conversation...the #HittingaDeadHorse thread of Akron leaving the conference altogether. That's a fair discussion, but a different one... 😉

7 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

The point is, the MAC CAN stop Akron from moving to another league for soccer only (so long as the conference continues to sponsor men's soccer). It sounds like you're talking about another conversation...the #HittingaDeadHorse thread of Akron leaving the conference altogether. That's a fair discussion, but a different one... 😉

I still don't believe this to be true. If Guthrie is the one saying he won't restrict Embick to the MAC, then I'd imagine we have an autonomous out. 

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

I completely agree. I would love for us to join the Big East for Mens Soccer. Great programs, excellent schools, and the geography makes sense. I’ve attended Zips Mens Soccer matches at Xavier, Butler, Creighton, St John’s, and Georgetown. I’d love to travel to see our games at the other schools as well. 

• Like 2

I hesitated to put any mention of the other Big East sports (since it is a non-football conference), but we would match up well in T&F and Swimming with the other conference members, and not be at the bottom of the pack in Basketball.  Winning the conference would never happen, but there's no reason we couldn't put up a good showing, if soccer is a 'foot in the door' for the other sports.

I doubt the MAC would keep Akron as a football-only member, so it does leave the gridiron team swinging in the wind if we had the option to move that direction long term.

14 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I hesitated to put any mention of the other Big East sports (since it is a non-football conference), but we would match up well in T&F and Swimming with the other conference members, and not be at the bottom of the pack in Basketball.  Winning the conference would never happen, but there's no reason we couldn't put up a good showing, if soccer is a 'foot in the door' for the other sports.

I doubt the MAC would keep Akron as a football-only member, so it does leave the gridiron team swinging in the wind if we had the option to move that direction long term.

Furthering this, the Big East has a tv/media deal with Fox Sports worth $40M+ per year - $32M+ more per year than the MAC's deal with CBS/ESPN - AND THE BIG EAST DOESN'T HAVE FOOTBALL! It is set to expire in a couple of years, but based on the ratings charts I saw, there is no reason a new deal won't be agreed upon, and probably for an even larger amount.

If the opportunity would arise to join the Big East in basketball and all other sports except football, you immediately take that offer and figure football out later. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

pre game party and march to the match

Fellow Alumni & Friends,

We’re hosting the MAC Tournament Championship against Western Michigan this Saturday, November 12th! The #1 and #2 overall seeds are competing for all the marbles this weekend. As you always have been, we’ll need our 12th man energizing the boys they absolutely love it and it fuels them. Bleacher stomp, drums, chants, whatever it takes let’s bring the noise.

For those that are attending the match, there will be a PREGAME PARTY at Score Draft Room (off Exchange Street – right across from campus). There will be a MARCH TO THE MATCH at 12:30 prior to kickoff. We ask that you please help spread the word to your fellow alumni, friends, and family.

When: Saturday, November 12th

Time: 11:00am – 12:30pm

Who: For all alumni, family, friends, students!

Specials: 1/2 OFF BEER AND PIZZA!

• Thanks 2

Zips must win this game this afternoon.....to get a top 16 seed

as you can see below, Akron has dropped out of the top 16 for RPI

with a win today.....I could see the zips getting a seed between 12 and 14...go, zips

Akron is currently 17 in RPI 

7 teams (ranked 11 to 17 ) are super close

9.  Lipscomb         .6168

10. Oregon State   .6149

11. SMU        .6068  

12. UNC-G  .6062

13. Hoosiers   .6046

14. FIU.     .6042

15. Penn.   .6037

16. Vermont   .6031

17. Akron.   .6031

18. Tulsa      .5999

Western Michigan is 40 In RPI 

Lipscomb plays Central Artkansas Staturday at 8.  Central Arkansas is 44 in RPI

Oregon State season is over. they ended their season by upsetting #1 Washington on Thursday night

SMU season is over ....lost to South Florida in conference semis

UNC-G plays Mercer at 6 on Saturday 

Mercer is 104 in RPI

Penn plays Princeton in reg season match at 4 saturday

Princeton is 72 In RPI 

FIU plays south Florida Sunday at 1….south Florida is 31 in RPI 

Hoosiers plays Rutgers Sunday at noon….Rutgers is 46 in RPI

Vermont season is over. They lost 1-0 in conference semis last night

Tulsa season is over...lost to Memphis in conference quarters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1