2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Faith Stinson played extremely well. In fact, when we were down 11-3 she’s the Zip who got us back in the game with not one, but two big 3-pointers IIRC.

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm wondering if Aila Miller is hurt. She scored 4 pts off the bench vs Oakland and didn't play vs Dayton or YSU.  Freshman from Berlin Hiland HS.

When Bass picked up a quick 2nd foul, it felt like it was going to be a 40-point ass-kicking. She only wound up playing like 4 minutes of the first half, but the Zips locked down defensively and it was very impressive. YSU’s forward was having her way early on, and didn’t do much the rest of the game. Many Zip teams over the last 6 years would have crumbled in either of these first two home games, but this team seems to be pretty resilient. They kept playing hard on defense despite not getting anything but chucked up threes to fall early, and they played themselves back into it. 

The quality of the MAC is still very high despite the departure of Legette-Jack at UB. A Zips womens ticket is a great buy if you want something to do on a Wednesday night, and this is an easy team and staff to get behind!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Faith Stinson played extremely well. In fact, when we were down 11-3 she’s the Zip who got us back in the game with not one, but two big 3-pointers IIRC.

Upon further review, it was actually when the Zips we’re down 20-3 that Faith hit her two big 3’s to give the Zips life. One at the end of the first quarter and then another at the start of the 2nd.

• Like 1

MAC Women's Basketball:

Ball State makes the trip to the Beehive State and comes home with two big victories. Defeated usually nationally ranked BYU in Provo 61-56. That after scoring a 25 point win over Utah State earlier this week. Lady Balls look like another NCAA tournament quality team.  

23 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

MAC Women's Basketball:

Ball State makes the trip to the Beehive State and comes home with two big victories. Defeated usually nationally ranked BYU in Provo 61-56. That after scoring a 25 point win over Utah State earlier this week. Lady Balls look like another NCAA tournament quality team.  

😂😂

14 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Zips pick up their first road win of the year at NKU. Now 4-1!

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Great game last night!

Thanks to both of you (and others) for posting about WBB and for following!  Nice to see interest, and you're right, they're playing well, and showing great strides, and a nice push in the 4th quarter to get the job done last night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Sunday at the JAR should be a nice day of basketball!  At 2:00 the men face Jackson State and then at 5:00 the women face Cleveland State.  I've not heard, but I'd have to imagine a men't ticket would be good for both games.  I'm planning on staying and catching both!  Go Zips!

The CSU game ought to be much more competitive than the men's contest with Jackson State -- if not it will raise questions about Groce's squad...or coach Jackson's depending on the circumstances...hope I've not confused anyone! lol.

Cleveland State is now 7-1 with their only loss to top-10 Iowa State in Ames, Iowa. They own an overtime win over usually nationally ranked DePaul in Chicago.  Also defeated Oakland, Akron's only loss by 23 points at the Woolstein Ctr.  Vikings are led by Jr guard Destiny Leo from Willowick with 17.8 ppg, a 39% 3-point shooter who's made 26 of 27 FTs.  However, they have a long rotation with 11 players averaging over 8 minutes per game.  I suspect Cleveland State would be near the top of this year's MAC WBB standings if they were members.  This game should tell a lot for both teams.

And the crowd was HUGE!  not....but the Zips women played well, and ESPN+ coverage wasn't bad.  Very cold start but they were the more athletic team and it kicked in in the second quarter, and they withstood a Stetson run in the 3rd and won by 8.  Dominque Camp looked (sacrilege!)  Dawson-esque in her best game as a Zip.  These are games they should win, so the MAC will be intriguing to see.  But nice early morning (although we watched after the World Cup on DVR) Victory.  

• Like 2