2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

An ugly but solid win today. Never in doubt from start to finish. Buffalo reminds me of the 2018 UA men’s team. Just completely overmatched. Zips got a big one on Wednesday!!!

Buffalo is a decent opponent. Middle of league, so convincing victory!  I noticed Raegan Bass hit 3 of 4 three-pointers. I didn't think she ever shot from distance. Maybe Faith Stinson is giving her tips...

I just noticed Middle Tennessee State WBB is ranked #23 in the country, on a 16-game winning streak. Not bad for a mid-major, but they have Lanae Riley, the much sought-after F from Hoban HS, who Akron recruited hard. She's only played in 2 games this season in Murphreesboro. Makes you wonder...

• Like 1

I think there was a little room for doubt after the 8-9 1Q and the convincing part came with the 27-12 4Q. 😉 Nevertheless, it was a needed win against a team with a new coach and 11 new players that they should win. It also kept us from dropping below Can't in the standings. Need a big effort from the start and a win on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Buffalo is a decent opponent. Middle of league, so convincing victory!  I noticed Raegan Bass hit 3 of 4 three-pointers. I didn't think she ever shot from distance. Maybe Faith Stinson is giving her tips...

She’s been trying all year, but finally cashed them in today. In home games, she’s been taking 1-2 a game max and missed just about every one of them. Been pretty good in the mid-range though, just hasn’t been able to extend out…until today!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I just noticed Middle Tennessee State WBB is ranked #23 in the country, on a 16-game winning streak. Not bad for a mid-major, but they have Lanae Riley, the much sought-after F from Hoban HS, who Akron recruited hard. She's only played in 2 games this season in Murphreesboro. Makes you wonder...

Come home, Lanae!

One thing they REALLY need to do - or not do - tonight is miss lay-ups.  Sooo many missed opportunites the last few games in the paint.  RB seems to be forcing the shot, and over-shooting the rim, and the same goes for Layne.  But Molly has been consistent down low, so just need the rest to make the bunnies.

I’d like to see Layne come out of her funk. And agreed on Bass, lots of forced layups, very similar to what Freeman can get stuck into on the men’s side. Kent is a tough, experienced bunch. But are definitely bearable. This would be a massive win for this program to prove last year was not a fluke. 

38 minutes ago, MDZip said:

What are those butt ugly powder blue things Kent State is wearing? 

their men wore the same color last night.

Of course, Akron's "gold" isn't much better.

What's with the missed FTs?  they know the ball is smaller, right?

Edited by NWAkron

This was a brutal game to watch. We should have won had we made our layups. Melissa got out-coached. She still does nothing to develop her bench. Rasheed may have surfaced as a backup guard out of necessity, but not out of a plan. Yet she is better than Thorpe who showed D1 ball is beyond her. Camp usually plays out of control on O, yet tonight she was out of control on D too. Whoever coaches the guards on this team is letting her get away with very bad habits and it hurts the team. Layne had a subpar game. I have no problem with that because she tries so hard. Same for Rachel. Molly was superb and I hate to see she is a senior. If the team continues in this mode of play I can't see Melissa getting her contract extended. Worst of all though was those putrid PCCC sky blue uni's. Made me want to puke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 72 Roo said:

This was a brutal game to watch. We should have won had we made our layups. Melissa got out-coached. She still does nothing to develop her bench. Rasheed may have surfaced as a backup guard out of necessity, but not out of a plan. Yet she is better than Thorpe who showed D1 ball is beyond her. Camp usually plays out of control on O, yet tonight she was out of control on D too. Whoever coaches the guards on this team is letting her get away with very bad habits and it hurts the team. Layne had a subpar game. I have no problem with that because she tries so hard. Same for Rachel. Molly was superb and I hate to see she is a senior. If the team continues in this mode of play I can't see Melissa getting her contract extended. Worst of all though was those putrid PCCC sky blue uni's. Made me want to puke.

I think it was Rasheed who grabbed a big rebound, didn't protect the ball, and the Kent player slapped it off Rasheed's leg.  that led to a 3 pointer by Kent and they pulled away.  Painful to watch.

Just a bad home loss to our key rival, exacerbated by a terrible start on offense going scoreless for almost the first 6 minutes and two bonehead two handed push to the back fouls by our point guard to send her to the bench. Not sure what her deal was tonight. Pretty bad officiating down the stretch, too. Layne's 5th foul was a nice flop by the opponent. A gritty comeback in the 4th quarter, but better play in the 3rd would have made the comeback easier. I hate losing to Can't, especially at home. 🤬 On to Kamalzoo for another tough road contest. Need to avoid falling further back into the pack.

That was a dreadful game to watch. Absolutely dreadful. Sheer will kept them alive, and some prayers from about 30 feet. This teams got some real issues on offense. They couldn’t generate and open look all night. Did Martindale even attempt 1 three pointer? I’m worried as to how the rest of the year will go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

It’s coach Jackson, show a little respect. “We would’ve won if we made our layups” and then you go and bash the coaching. Not a word about the worst reffing we’ve had all year taking out two of our best players. Especially in the last 3-4 minutes. The bench came up big bringing this to a two point game. This was a dog fight from the start with exceptional defense on both sides. Coach Jackson is well respected around the league and if this administration doesn’t renew her contract because of a 2 point loss to Kent with the calls we had tonight then they shouldn’t be in administration. This is the MAC. This is how the MAC plays. 

56 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That was a dreadful game to watch. Absolutely dreadful. Sheer will kept them alive, and some prayers from about 30 feet. This teams got some real issues on offense. They couldn’t generate and open look all night. Did Martindale even attempt 1 three pointer? I’m worried as to how the rest of the year will go. 

Martindale was 0 for 1 from the field. No three point attempts. I don't recall her one shot or her popping open enough to even take a 3 pointer. Someone was in her face all the time. She also played hard as usual for 37 minutes.

Edited by ewbrooman1