2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

On 1/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, zippy-claws said:

Exactly!  This is the way to go...

I think the best exposure for these ladies would be for the administration to stop treating them like an inconvenience and more like a team under their watch. I get at least one, most times more, emails per week about men’s games. Nothing ever about upcoming women’s games. And we are season ticket holders for both. The bourbon night flyer and emails never even mentioned there is a women's game too! I’ve been emailed plenty about the “white out” for Kent on Friday but never a mention that the women hosted Kent tonight. Maybe if the administration showed they care about the Women’s Basketball program fans would come out to support them. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Basketballfan1 said:

It’s coach Jackson, show a little respect. “We would’ve won if we made our layups” and then you go and bash the coaching. Not a word about the worst reffing we’ve had all year taking out two of our best players. Especially in the last 3-4 minutes. The bench came up big bringing this to a two point game. This was a dog fight from the start with exceptional defense on both sides. Coach Jackson is well respected around the league and if this administration doesn’t renew her contract because of a 2 point loss to Kent with the calls we had tonight then they shouldn’t be in administration. This is the MAC. This is how the MAC plays. 

I'm not an expert on women's basketball or basketball in general.  But there are some folks on here who are and have a sense of where the ball bounces with the administration.    That aside, being a successful D1 coach requires some luck and the ability to make one's own luck.  There's a school of thought that had Akron's Brian Walsh made a certain 10 foot jump shot in the 2012 MAC championship game John Groce wouldn't  now be coaching the Zips.  Had Buffalo's Segu made that 3 pointer in the quarters last year, the Zips could be a different program today.  Groce has luck and makes his own luck.  Dambrot, although a success, didn't have that luck.  Buffalo's Oates had lots of luck but the ball doesn't bounce favorably for their current coach.  Hell, Tom Arth had some horrible luck with Zips football.

Losing by 2 points isn't what gets a coach fired.  It's about not being able to seal the deal.  Can she make the big decisions needed to turn things around.  Last year, after a soul-crushing loss to Kent followed by two losses to bad MAC teams, Groce had to make a huge and hard decision that led his team to the MAC title...with some luck along the way.  Maybe Jackson will do the same.

Edited by NWAkron

The program is fine. Coach is doing a great job this year as I was expecting to be at the bottom of the league. However, tonight we saw a lot of the issues that have plagued them this season come into focus. Camp was completely out of control, and picked up just an insanely horrible foul early that ended up hurting in the end. They were unable to get open shots for the shooters—Ferrell came up short on any decent looks, Neitzel hit and has been a warrior this year, Martindale nothing, not to say she wasn’t working for it, but the offense wasn’t getting her looks. I thought the Zips had a decent shot at it with Kent failing from within 5 feet every single time, but they couldn’t string together enough buckets in the 2nd half until it was too late. The season is far from over, but one can’t help but think “what if?” when thinking about the BG and Kent games. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm not an expert on women's basketball or basketball in general.  But there are some folks on here who are and have a sense of where the ball bounces with the administration.    That aside, being a successful D1 coach requires some luck and the ability to make one's own luck.  There's a school of thought that had Akron's Brian Walsh made a certain 10 foot jump shot in the 2012 MAC championship game John Groce wouldn't  now be coaching the Zips.  Had Buffalo's Segu made that 3 pointer in the quarters last year, the Zips could be a different program today.  Groce has luck and makes his own luck.  Dambrot, although a success, didn't have that luck.  Buffalo's Oates had lots of luck but the ball doesn't bounce favorably for their current coach.  Hell, Tom Arth had some horrible luck with Zips football.

Losing by 2 points isn't what gets a coach fired.  It's about not being able to seal the deal.  Can she make the big decisions needed to turn things around.  Last year, after a soul-crushing loss to Kent followed by two losses to bad MAC teams, Groce had to make a huge and hard decision that led his team to the MAC title...with some luck along the way.  Maybe Jackson will do the same.

There’s a lot to break down here. I don’t disagree with what most say on here. Valid points and arguments to be made after a game is played. These two schools play each other very hard. It’s a great rivalry. The reffing was a huge factor in tonight’s game. Not that they missed layups or turned the ball over, but in very close games they can decide an outcome. Tonight was just that. Coach Jackson has really turned this program around. She has made those tough choices and created some luck for this program. 

7 hours ago, Basketballfan1 said:

There’s a lot to break down here. I don’t disagree with what most say on here. Valid points and arguments to be made after a game is played. These two schools play each other very hard. It’s a great rivalry. The reffing was a huge factor in tonight’s game. Not that they missed layups or turned the ball over, but in very close games they can decide an outcome. Tonight was just that. Coach Jackson has really turned this program around. She has made those tough choices and created some luck for this program. 

As a rule, the reffing in women's games makes it tough to watch.

10 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I think it was Rasheed who grabbed a big rebound, didn't protect the ball, and the Kent player slapped it off Rasheed's leg.  that led to a 3 pointer by Kent and they pulled away.  Painful to watch.

Wasn't that Stewart? I don't know if I want to go back and rewatch. Pain. I hate losing to KSUcks. I don't even like it if I happen to overhear someone say "Kent State" in a conversation.

59 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wasn't that Stewart? I don't know if I want to go back and rewatch. Pain. I hate losing to KSUcks. I don't even like it if I happen to overhear someone say "Kent State" in a conversation.

could have been.  she was shorter so i thought it was the point guard.  either way.  was bad.

Zips fall to 5-5 in conference, continuing the drop towards the middle of the pack losing 4 of last 5. They've yet to beat a MAC team with a winning record. Not a good sign. Need to regroup against a bad Northern Illinois team on Wednesday, but who knows what will happen in DeKalb on any night?

Edited by ewbrooman1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips fall to 5-5 in conference, continuing the drop towards the middle of the pack losing 4 of last 5. They've yet to beat a MAC team with a winning record. Not a good sign. Need to regroup against a bad Northern Illinois team on Wednesday, but who knows what will happen in DeKalb on any night?

Outscored by 21 in the 3rd quarter after being tied at half.  That's what can happen in DeKalb.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

For what it's worth, the loss doesn't drop them any in the standings, but it opens up a bigger gap from the top 4. Plus they're only one game away from a five way tie with the 4-7 teams. And Ball State is next at the JAR. 😬

The MAC Tournament looking like a pipe dream.  On another note, BG coach not likely to be around much longer but for the opposite reason.

Edited by NWAkron

Froelich is the real deal. She built a national championship level program at Ashland. I wish we had acted to grab her before BG but we did not want to eat the remaining year(s) of our coach's contract. Cleveland is not going to save this staff.

• Thanks 1

You (or maybe just I) can't help but compare the two programs since both coaches took over the same year with both programs on a significant downturn. We certainly seemed to at least miss a chance to at least talk to Froelich while we waited for Kest to step away after two terrible years. Although she sputtered a bit I think Froelich had the easier task due to a BGSU program with a much greater history of success and fan support. Jackson must also hold some of the responsibility for those two bad seasons since she was the top assistant and I think head of              recruiting.

There's still time to turn things around, but there can't be any more performances like last night. Need to win the remaining home games and beat Can't and Canada at their place. It could happen...🥴