MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

PCCC and Detroit Southwest Campus in Kevin Connors' Mid Major Top 10 to start the season.

7. Kent State Golden Flashes

Let's face it, the end of the 2021-2022 season at Kent State was ugly.

A profane social media post leading to the suspension of four players prior to the MAC championship game -- which ended in a 20-point loss at the hands of Akron -- was not the way anyone drew it up. Coach Rob Senderoff called his player's actions "really, really, really dumb."

Nevermind failing to get up for a game at Southern Utah and losing by 4 in The Basketball Classic. Pinky is leading his clown car full of clowns exactly how you'd expect in Clown Town. Never change, Pinky. 

11 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

OU loses on a buzzer beater 3 to Belmont after making a 3 with 1 second left to go up by 2. WOW! O U - O NO!

Zips were very close to being in same spot.  Had Freeman not tipped the missed FT I think SDSU would have won.

(It would probably be wrong to head over to Kitten Attack and enjoy their rationalizations and meltdown)

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Zips were very close to being in same spot.  Had Freeman not tipped the missed FT I think SDSU would have won.

(It would probably be wrong to head over to Kitten Attack and enjoy their rationalizations and meltdown)

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right. 

I was following the gamecast, saw OU go up by 2 with 1 second left, almost exited the page, and it refreshed to show the made 3 by Belmont as time expired. Immediately typed in bobcatattack.com and got some popcorn. 

Also, Belmont apparently lost 7 of their 8 top scorers from last year. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If this is wrong, I don't want to be right. 

I was following the gamecast, saw OU go up by 2 with 1 second left, almost exited the page, and it refreshed to show the made 3 by Belmont as time expired. Immediately typed in bobcatattack.com and got some popcorn. 

Also, Belmont apparently lost 7 of their 8 top scorers from last year. 

Once I got home, I watched the end of both the Zips game and the Kitten game.  It may not have been Freeman who tipped the missed FT BUT that tip made the difference.  OU game is a cautionary tale about how 1.7 seconds can seem like 10.  OU went up by 2.  Refs added some time.  Now the Bruins don't have to just tip the ball.  Belmont makes amazing pass just past half court.  Guy catches it and immediately calls time out.    Refs add more time again.  Now it's like 1.3.  Belmont throws it to top of key and they make the 3.

I thought it was tacky for the Belmont students to rush the floor after beating an average MAC team in a season-opener.  But, hey, it's the South.

Edited by NWAkron

Kind of a mixed bag in MAC play last night.  Western Michigan lost by 1 to Minnesota.  Quality wins by Toledo, PCCC, and Bowling Green as well.  But Miami lost at home to a very bad Evansville team (or at least very bad last year, and forecasted to be very bad again this year by KenPom), and as someone mentioned NIU lost to a D2 school.

In fact, 3 D1 teams lost to D2 teams last night, and sadly all were Midwestern teams.  NIU, Missouri-Kansas City, and none other than Cleveland State, who lost to not-that-Notre-Dame.

The proverbial early season take:

So after yesterday,  looks like EMU, Toledo, and PCCC are the teams to beat.   Zips will be lucky to get a top 4 seed in Cleveland.

Last night was a bad loss that killed our chances at an at large bid.

Doubt anyone will show up for Morgan State game and probably get skunked in Cayman.  Not a great day to be a Zip.

34 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

So after yesterday,  looks like EMU, Toledo, and PCCC are the teams to beat.   Zips will be lucky to get a top 4 seed in Cleveland.

Doubt anyone will show up for Morgan State game and probably get skunked in Cayman.  Not a great day to be a Zip.

I’ve got a John’s Next Endeavor thread in the can and ready to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

For three years in a row now we've had something like this, with St. Bonaventure, the Florida tournament last year, now Miss St. Groce always says its a good experience to lose like this, hopefully we see guys bought in to the "Akron Way" on Tuesday

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I still think this team can compete in the MAC, but it will have to be with the defense. Toledo struggled majorly when UAB applied pressure to ball handlers. Much like how MSU struggled last night when we applied that same pressure.

The thing is we can't play with that level of intensity for 40 minutes with only a 7 man rotation. Groce needs to expand the rotation and give other players meaningful minutes for us to play a havoc style defense for longer stretches of a game. It might lead to a few more losses in November and December, but IMO it's our only chance to compete in March against teams like Toledo and EMU who are more talented offensively.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

They really missed a rebranding opportunity when they changed their name. Liberty Mutual sponsorship would have been a given.

But wouldn't it have received criticism for redundancy??  I mean SERIOUSLY...the EMU emus???  🤯

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I’ve got a John’s Next Endeavor thread in the can and ready to go!

Good.   because it's obvious now that the Hurons have the MAC player of the year and maybe a first team All American.  Stan Heath was always the class of the MAC.  I can see him making another run to the Elite 8.  Huge recruiting fail by Team Groce not grabbing Bates.  And Toledo is firing on all cylinders.  Those first round play-in games may have come in handy this coming March.  I guess we will see.