MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

The MAC certainly looks strong at the top with Toledo and PCCC. Being objective I'd slide Akron right behind them, but after that I don't see much to be excited about regarding the MAC.

A few teams like EMU and Ohio have given some good teams a scare, but have also lost to some really bad teams as well.

Toledo crawls its way to a 7th place finish in the Estero tournament, just like the Zips last year. Perhaps time to bet Toledo to win in Cleveland? 😂

EMU is getting run out of the gym by Winthrop in Cancun. I can't help but laugh. I fully believe EMU will be one of the teams to beat in this league come January, but seeing them start 1-5 is hilarious. Their fans thought they would be the best thing since sliced bread right out of the gate, and ZERO D1 wins before Thanksgiving has slapped them in the face. The season can be a long drag no matter the talent and expectations, as they are learning.

17 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Toledo crawls its way to a 7th place finish in the Estero tournament, just like the Zips last year. Perhaps time to bet Toledo to win in Cleveland? 😂

EMU is getting run out of the gym by Winthrop in Cancun. I can't help but laugh. I fully believe EMU will be one of the teams to beat in this league come January, but seeing them start 1-5 is hilarious. Their fans thought they would be the best thing since sliced bread right out of the gate, and ZERO D1 wins before Thanksgiving has slapped them in the face. The season can be a long drag no matter the talent and expectations, as they are learning.

Their fans?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

EMU is getting run out of the gym by Winthrop in Cancun. I can't help but laugh. I fully believe EMU will be one of the teams to beat in this league come January, but seeing them start 1-5 is hilarious. Their fan thought they would be the best thing since sliced bread right out of the gate, and ZERO D1 wins before Thanksgiving has slapped them in the face. The season can be a long drag no matter the talent and expectations, as they are learning.

Groce is the exact opposite of Kowalchoke when it comes to March, so come January 1st, I will not be taking the Toledo futures bet to win the MAC Tourney. 

Not sure AAU ball will do well in the MAC if it isn't doing well against Bradley, Oakland, IPFW, and Winthrop. In their DI games, they've given up less than 80 points in a game just once - 74 to IPFW - and have given up 88, 89, 92 (OT), and 101 in the other 4 DI losses. Heath Ball is literally the exact opposite of Murphy Ball. 

6 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Their fans?

Fixed it for him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Kent blows it at CofC. Not all is lost today!

You and I are in a Vulcan mind meld.

Look at Charleston's record and their opponents.  THAT is a high level schedule.  I was getting quite nervous when PCCC was up by 9.

2 Turnovers by Pinky's team in the final 1.23 and a missed 3 by Sincere to close it out.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, NWAkron said:

Watched end of PCCC/Houston game.

1.  I wouldn't pick Houston in a bracket

2.  Pinky does NOT look good in anything white with a high collar.  Looks like Egg Head

3.  Jim Christian is one of Pinky's assistants.

4.  Santiago has been around longer than Tribble

False. According to Failure U's staff directory, Jim Christian is the Asst. Athletic Director.

My ailing memory recalls that Christian was something like the Director of Basketball Operations last year, similar to what Dan Peters was with Dambrot, where he's not technically a coach but has bench access.  His title as Assistant Athletic Director, Basketball Administration likely gives him that same access.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

44 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

BG lost to some school named “Queen” tonight. 

Does not appear BG will be 2023 MAC champions, my friends. They don’t even seem to be fighting, to the end.

That’s actually the only team to beat Marshall this year. They’re new to D1 and seem to be fitting in just fine. Though your assessment of BG remains spot on. Of course their best team over the last 15 years comes when UB had their run. Tough break. 

13 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

BG lost to some school named “Queen” tonight. 

Does not appear BG will be 2023 MAC champions, my friends. They don’t even seem to be fighting, to the end.

They are 6-2 on the season so far, and have yet to be blown out in their 2 losses.

Anybody know what the reason is behind the 4 or 5 year ban on postseason participation for newly classified DI schools? Seems a bit ridiculous.