Game 2- Mississippi State

clarkwgriswold

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Makes zero sense to have him play this year barring an injury. Even then, we have Kobe Mitchell, Garvin, Johnson, and Hankerson for eligible guard depth. 

Unless he's better than a couple of them. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. If he can help us this season, play him. We are in "win mode" in 2022-23. 

5 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

When I go to Barstool dot TV it gives me the option to cast...I hope that doesn't change this evening.  Not interested in any new apps to delete in a few hours.

Streaming from the box would like result in better viewing rather than wireless from a phone or computer. Just my 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Unless he's better than a couple of them. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. If he can help us this season, play him. We are in "win mode" in 2022-23. 

Especially considering I think we need another consistent threat from 3-point range this year. Clarke & Tribble definitely aren't, and Nate Johnson looked hesitant to hoist 'em up Monday night.  If other teams double-team Freeman like SDSU did we've got to be able to make them pay.

Huge opportunity here. I think this game will be a pretty good barometer for where this team is extremely early in the year. I'm not trying to discount the SDSU game, but there were a few early-season jitters for both of those teams, despite it being an unbelievable opener. The Zips win in the JAR a lot, I'd like to see the same energy carry over to an empty NBA arena in Philly, where Akron is the closest of the 4 schools competing. 

What was sustainable from the performance Monday? The same things that always are--effort, attitude, toughness, teamism. Dating back to last February, this program has played 10 consecutive games where they've lived up to that mantra and culture. I feel like inevitably, there will be some moments and some games where they let their guard down, but with how they have performed since the mid-season departure last year, maybe this is something that will stay at a high-level in perpetuity.

What isn't sustainable? Well, as much as I would love to see X shoot the ball from the perimeter at a 67% clip all year, I don't expect him to put up an 8-12 number too often. Not to discredit SDSU's guards, but MSU will likely be a bit bigger and perhaps tougher and stronger, and they will see on the film that you can't go under screens on X. That bit SDSU a few times. I also don't think Hunter's shooting woes are sustainable. If they continue, I will become extremely concerned. That last shooting transfer we brought in was billed very similarly--as a big-time shooter that didn't put up good numbers at the last school, but doesn't miss in practice. If that is the case, I do like his game in other facets as well, so it isn't a total loss. I also have faith in Clarke, I feel he was very jittery. I know he can shoot it consistently well, he missed so badly on Monday it almost had to be the yips. I'm also surprised to look at the Monday box to see that Hankerson only made a pair of 3s, it seemed like he was on fire. I absolutely love his game, and he reminds me quite a bit of Channel Banks. I also want to see a bit more out of Tribble. I also like his game, but I was hoping for better finishing around the rim. He still does a lot of the same things he did the last three seasons on offense. Get the ball deep inside, use the crazy hops to fire up a wild shot hoping it goes in. He could be a reliable bucket-getter if he could put this together he simply hasn't. He put up a Sincere Carry Special on Monday (2-11 from the floor).

Mississippi State is in a rebuilding year. They're rated 48 in KenPom after a 63-44 win over Texas A&M CC. They really struggled in the first half, but pulled away in the second. Their leader after one game is Tolu Smith, a 6'11 245lb forward, who could present a multitude of problems tonight on the interior. Freeman has been getting in way too much foul trouble as of late, dating back to last season, and he played quite a bit after picking up his 4th on Monday. We need he and Hunter big time to shut this guy down, because they aren't a great shooting team. They are big, strong, fast, and physical, but they don't yet have the program that Akron has. We know we are a good mid-major, but are we a good enough mid-major that is capable of beating high-majors that we are more than capable of beating? That's an important thing we will learn tonight.

Groce vs. a redeemed drunken pervert! Come on, Coach!

Go Zips!

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Huge opportunity here. I think this game will be a pretty good barometer for where this team is extremely early in the year. I'm not trying to discount the SDSU game, but there were a few early-season jitters for both of those teams, despite it being an unbelievable opener. The Zips win in the JAR a lot, I'd like to see the same energy carry over to an empty NBA arena in Philly, where Akron is the closest of the 4 schools competing. 

What was sustainable from the performance Monday? The same things that always are--effort, attitude, toughness, teamism. Dating back to last February, this program has played 10 consecutive games where they've lived up to that mantra and culture. I feel like inevitably, there will be some moments and some games where they let their guard down, but with how they have performed since the mid-season departure last year, maybe this is something that will stay at a high-level in perpetuity.

I'm also surprised to look at the Monday box to see that Hankerson only made a pair of 3s, it seemed like he was on fire. I absolutely love his game, and he reminds me quite a bit of Channel Banks. I also want to see a bit more out of Tribble. I also like his game, but I was hoping for better finishing around the rim. He still does a lot of the same things he did the last three seasons on offense. Get the ball deep inside, use the crazy hops to fire up a wild shot hoping it goes in. He could be a reliable bucket-getter if he could put this together he simply hasn't. He put up a Sincere Carry Special on Monday (2-11 from the floor).

Mississippi State is in a rebuilding year. They're rated 48 in KenPom after a 63-44 win over Texas A&M CC. They really struggled in the first half, but pulled away in the second. Their leader after one game is Tolu Smith, a 6'11 245lb forward, who could present a multitude of problems tonight on the interior. Freeman has been getting in way too much foul trouble as of late, dating back to last season, and he played quite a bit after picking up his 4th on Monday. We need he and Hunter big time to shut this guy down, because they aren't a great shooting team. They are big, strong, fast, and physical, but they don't yet have the program that Akron has. We know we are a good mid-major, but are we a good enough mid-major that is capable of beating high-majors that we are more than capable of beating? That's an important thing we will learn tonight.

Groce vs. a redeemed drunken pervert! Come on, Coach!

Go Zips!

Responding to the bold in order...

- Understatement.

- My question about these inevitable lapses: will they come against opponents like Mississippi State, or during the lull of the January/February MAC grind? Groce's teams have always lapsed in the regular season which is typically against lesser opponents. I wonder if his "March is what matters" carries over to regular season games against better opponents like South Dakota State, Mississippi State, etc.

- Beating the Jackrabbits without a larger offensive performance from Hankerson is somewhat scary. Just goes to show how scary this team could be if they put it all together on a single night. 

- Is it really a Sincere Carry special if it doesn't include skipping down the court, only to have your ass whooped the rest of the game? There is not a more opposite comparison than Carry & Tribble. One is an arrogant, cocky, showboating prick; the other is a humble and selfless. 

- They're somewhat similar to Akron. Lost their top scorer (and #3 scorer), but retained their stud big man. They only had 2 guys score in double digits against Corpus Christi (they only put up 63 pts), and the 2nd guy was barely in double digits with 11. The question becomes: do they have guys step up in game 2 that were absent in game 1?

- If Freeman stays out of foul trouble and we shoot more than 30% from beyond the arc, we win this game. Hunter and even Lyles will be huge in helping Freeman stay out of foul trouble vs. Tolu.

• Like 2

Barstool Sports broadcasting any event is going to be an electric factory. Might be best for families to put the game on mute and listen to the Akron broadcast haha.

Side note: One of my favorite video series Barstool has ever done is their Storm Chaser series prior to COVID (looks like they revived it last year). Two of their main personalities traveled to college basketball games where the home team could upset the away team in a manner worthy of storming the court - hence the series title "Storm Chasers". 

39 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

For those unfamiliar with Barstool, here’s a taste. It’s very intellectual, and a lot of very mature and smart people enjoy their content!

I only expect the barstool brand to expand in this NIL collegiate world we're in now as they're actively embracing it and providing opportunities for players to make money on the side. It might be off-putting for us 'older' fans, but this is the stuff Gen Z listens to. 

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I only expect the barstool brand to expand in this NIL collegiate world we're in now as they're actively embracing it and providing opportunities for players to make money on the side. It might be off-putting for us 'older' fans, but this is the stuff Gen Z listens to. 

Funny you should say that. They've sponsored 7445 collegiate athletes thus far across all sports - not just the mainstream ones. 

https://nilcollegeathletes.com/sponsors/barstool-sports

Today is also the 5 year anniversary of Groce’s opening game as the head coach of Akron against Cleveland State! I’ll never forget Malcolm Duvivier posterizing a CSU defender. That was the start of something special, it was hard to see at times but I always knew we’d get to this point. Go Zips!!!!!!