Game 2- Mississippi State

clarkwgriswold

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Hankerson has been very unimpressive tonight.  He throws the ball away and then watches a guy make a layup.  I would give him a ticket to the bench.

I am not an excuses guy, but Groce is playing with the line up.  We have Hankerson and Hunter thrown in as starters.  Tonight...on a strange court...it isn't gelling.  Bring on Morgan State.

28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Gotta be one of Enrique’s least effective games as a Zip. Think they are cheating an extra guy towards him because Tribble isn’t a threat to shoot. Would be ideal to have a 7 footer like Aziz for this game.

Enrique's probably going to struggle against most 6'11" 245 guys. I don't know much about Hunter, but we need 6'9" underneath, not shooting 3s.

Ouch. I was not expecting that at all. A wake up call for all of Zips nation, and this new look team. If nothing else, a nice reminder that we ain’t won $h** yet. 

I know it’s a much better opponent, but that felt very Fordham-y. Winnable game, have it pretty close and closer than it should be for a while before just getting blitzkrieged. 

Gotta use the tune up game with Morgan State to right the ship a bit. We can’t go 0-fer in the Caymans. No reason this team should. 

Enjoy your weekends folks, Go Zips!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Enrique's probably going to struggle against most 6'11" 245 guys. 

Not if there’s a threat to kick it out to a guard for a three. He got double teamed all night and had no guard help whatsoever. Long ways to go until March. Groce teams always improve as the season progresses. We’ll see who steps up on the wing. Hope they show up sooner than later.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Also, Mike Dawson would’ve been a nice help tonight. Next man up, just gotta find out who that is. 

I came back to the thread to post just this. 

By the way, with the Akron Soccer news, did anyone notice the court we were playing on? It rhymes with Fig Beast. 😉

11 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Tavari Johnson's career started tonight in the garbage minutes.

I wasn't able to watch last night's game, but following the SDSU game I noted that, with Freeman getting consistently doubled, we need another real 3-point shooter.  Apparently Groce is seeing if Tavari can be that man.  

It's certainly not Tribble or Clarke - both of which I'm luke warm about... at best.  People keep saying "Boy, once Tribble practices his 3-point shot he's going to be tough to defend." Well, I'm sorry to keep saying it but Tribble's never going to have a solid 3-point shot; it's simply not in his genes.  NEVER going to happen.  And Clarke is not a natural-born finisher; he misses all kinds of layups. I love both b/c they're Zips... They'd better play absolutely stellar defense and leave absolutely everything on the court to help this team beat good D-1 opponents.

How did Nate Johnson shoot last night?  

And I'll mention it again, with our lack of real 3-point threats, I can't believe Kobe Mitchell can't find his way into the lineup. He must be too slow on defense, or something. Idk.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I wasn't able to watch last night's game, but following the SDSU game I noted that, with Freeman getting consistently doubled, we need another real 3-point shooter.  Apparently Groce is seeing if Tavari can be that man.  

It's certainly not Tribble or Clarke - both of which I'm luke warm about... at best.  People keep saying "Boy, once Tribble practices his 3-point shot he's going to be tough to defend." Well, I'm sorry to keep saying it but Tribble's never going to have a solid 3-point shot; it's simply not in his genes.  NEVER going to happen.  And Clarke is not a natural-born finisher; he misses all kinds of layups. I love both b/c they're Zips, but both are barely D-1 caliber basketball players. They'd better play absolutely stellar defense and leave absolutely everything on the court to help this team beat good D-1 opponents.

And I'll mention it again, with our lack of real 3-point threats, I can't believe Kobe Mitchell can't find his way into the lineup. He must be too slow on defense, or something. Idk.

N Johnson 0-2 for 0 points.  Mitchell scored a bucket in garbage time. Replay is available on the app if anyone wants to watch. I'm watching the last 6 minutes now to see how the young guys look.

10 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Enrique's probably going to struggle against most 6'11" 245 guys. I don't know much about Hunter, but we need 6'9" underneath, not shooting 3s.

The offense was more understandable then defense IMO as he was doubled, but Tolu Smith had his way in the paint on offense. He's got to figure it out if the goal is to play in the league as he'll be undersized against just about everyone.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's certainly not Tribble or Clarke - both of which I'm luke warm about... at best.  People keep saying "Boy, once Tribble practices his 3-point shot he's going to be tough to defend." Well, I'm sorry to keep saying it but Tribble's never going to have a solid 3-point shot; it's simply not in his genes.  NEVER going to happen.  And Clarke is not a natural-born finisher; he misses all kinds of layups. I love both b/c they're Zips, but both are barely D-1 caliber basketball players. They'd better play absolutely stellar defense and leave absolutely everything on the court to help this team beat good D-1 opponents.

Bad take. Tolu Smith put 30 on Freeman’s head with no resistance and you get on here talking about guard play and 3 pt shooting. Miss St played lineups with 6’8 6’8 6’11 on the floor at the same time while we at times had X GT and Clarke in the game together it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why we lost. You didn’t watch the game and you have no business stating anything about who’s barely a d1 caliber player. Groce dropped the ball not bringing in any size. Love freeman to death but he has limitations at only 6’6 he’s not really a 5 and it was lazy of the coaching staff to rely on only him knowing the way teams will defend him. 

• Like 1