Game 10 Thoughts

catdaddyp

OFFENSE

- Great to actually see an effective ground game by the running backs. Part of that was due to the over aggressiveness by EMU’s front, part was due to alignment, part play-calling, and credit needs to go to the OL, Wiley, and the QBs. I throw the QBs in there because they didn’t goof any of the handoffs and 99% of the time made the right read to give (or keep).

- Although Undercuffler did throw one nice deep ball, we witnessed the difference in arm strength and accuracy between the two QBs. Irons gets away with a number of those tight window and cross field throws, Undercuffler not so much.

- I can’t heap enough praise on the OL after that performance. For a unit that has struggled all year in the run game, they looked confident and decisive. Even in pass pro they looked well prepared. Landers is going to be a monster by the time he graduates. Watching Williams block down and role up EMU’s LBs was fun.

DEFENSE 

- Couldn’t always see what was happening in the secondary with the camera angles, but it looked like Hence and Durant played most of the snaps at CB. Thompson and Martin at S. Lewis at nickel. Woods may have been working in at both S and nickel, but I’m not sure.

- I can’t say what the issue was with all the edge busts because I haven’t rewatched the game, but the TD play after we had Terry’s TD called back was a mixup with Jones and Boateng. Boateng was blitzing on the edge but took an inside angle and Jones looped over almost like he thought he was running a stunt. If I recall correctly, we were in Cover 3 and the CB was run off by the WR and one S was in the middle of the field. I believe the other S was lined up underneath on the opposite side.

- At this point, any time a LB is in the game not named Bubba, Terry, or McCoy I think to myself “oh ****” Sometimes we get away with it, but often the other guys seem lost. 

- Despite giving up 155 yards rushing, that was probably the best game our DL has played in 2022. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I noticed Bubba did not partake in the Sr. day festivities. I wonder if it's confirmed yet that he has another year, and that it will be at Akron. I hope so, I feel we're on the cusp of a handful of wins, and that guy deserves to be a part of it.

To me, the offense let the game come to them instead of forcing the issue when unnecessary. That goes for Joe & Co. as well. They saw how EMU was playing up front and took advantage instead of trying to continue to force the issue with JU. 

I wish I understood DB play more just so I could comprehend how bad they are. They simply do not look like D1 athletes a lot of the time. I don't really see them being out of place, they are just a step behind on routes and get beat.

I do not love Irons, but he is certainly the best QB for this offense at this time, and that became clear last night. If the injury continues (I heard it was shoulder, still have 1.5 weeks before Buffalo), I would love to see what Jennings has to offer. At least throw him out there against a Buffalo team that you don't stand a great chance of beating as opposed to waiting until the final game against an NIU team that's playing like they're tanking for the first pick.

All in all, same script, different day. 3 Saturday home games for the fans absolutely blows, and for 3/4 home losses to be gut-wrenchingly close doesn't feel great either. It does feel much better than 2018, 2019, 20, and 21 though, and it was nice to see some improvement in person. 10 months from today the Zips host the Morgan State Bears, hopefully fresh off a great opening win at Lincoln Financial Field against former UA HC finalist Stan Drayton!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

I noticed Bubba did not partake in the Sr. day festivities. I wonder if it's confirmed yet that he has another year, and that it will be at Akron. I hope so, I feel we're on the cusp of a handful of wins, and that guy deserves to be a part of it.

To me, the offense let the game come to them instead of forcing the issue when unnecessary. That goes for Joe & Co. as well. They saw how EMU was playing up front and took advantage instead of trying to continue to force the issue with JU. 

I wish I understood DB play more just so I could comprehend how bad they are. They simply do not look like D1 athletes a lot of the time. I don't really see them being out of place, they are just a step behind on routes and get beat.

I do not love Irons, but he is certainly the best QB for this offense at this time, and that became clear last night. If the injury continues (I heard it was shoulder, still have 1.5 weeks before Buffalo), I would love to see what Jennings has to offer. At least throw him out there against a Buffalo team that you don't stand a great chance of beating as opposed to waiting until the final game against an NIU team that's playing like they're tanking for the first pick.

All in all, same script, different day. 3 Saturday home games for the fans absolutely blows, and for 3/4 home losses to be gut-wrenchingly close doesn't feel great either. It does feel much better than 2018, 2019, 20, and 21 though, and it was nice to see some improvement in person. 10 months from today the Zips host the Morgan State Bears, hopefully fresh off a great opening win at Lincoln Financial Field against former UA HC finalist Stan Drayton!

Any other notable seniors that did not walk last night? I’d like to think that means Bubba will be back next year.

I think the offense we saw last night is more in line of what JoeMo wants to run on a regular basis. An effective run game opens up all kinds of options in the passing game. 

Our safety play has been solid and the tandom of Thompson, Martin, and Woods have really come on strong. It’s like night and day at that position from the beginning of the year. Cornerback has been the beast of burden. I’m disappointed that Hooks, Golden-Nelson, and Threatt did not fulfill their potential this year. Golden-Nelson and Threatt should be back next year, so I’d think an offseason with this staff will help. It’s telling that 5 2023 JUCO CBs have been offered in about a month’s time.

I’m not as high on Jennings as others. I think he’s a great athlete but it remains to be seen how much QB he’ll play here. Of course, I’ve only watched his film and have never seen him play live.

I expect we will take a bigger step forward than most expect next year. The fact this team has been competitive in conference play with the current roster leads me to believe another influx of talent will not only get us over the hump, but send us tumbling down the hill (in a good way).

• Like 2