2022 World Cup - Zips repping 🇺🇸 and 🇨🇦

Article from July 2014

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/deandre-yedlin-s-rapid-rise-through-the-u-s-ranks

Yedlin was timed in the 40-yard dash at Akron and “was running about a 4.2 or 4.3,” said Jared Embick, who replaced Porter as Akron’s head coach. “People talk about NFL guys running 4.2, 4.3. DeAndre has that kind of pace. But it’s not just that he’s fast, he’s strong, he runs strong, and that makes him able to run through contact, fight off tackles.”

Like most elite youth players, Yedlin was an attacking player for most of his club soccer days. Porter spotted him when he was assisting at a U.S. Under-18 national team camp and afterward sent Embick to recruit him. After Yedlin committed to Akron he was converted to right back to best utilize his pace and strength.

As I recall, from talking with DeAndre's grandparents, it was the Zips then Head Coach Caleb Porter who suggested DeAndre make the switch to right back.  ... some US Youth national team scout. lol

Edited by Zip_ME87

England newspaper did player ratings for Canada vs. Belgium

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11463089/Belgium-1-0-Canada-PLAYER-RATINGS-Roberto-Martinezs-labour-opening-World-Cup-victory.html

I can't get the writeup on Richie to copy and paste....

click on the article...and you can see that Richie was tied with Eustaqio as the highest rated Canada player.

One Nottingham paper ...is calling for Nottingham Forest.....to revoke Richie's loan to MLS as many Nottingham fans were very impressed by Richie.

• Like 2

AP22337607777714.jpg

I don't want to belabor the unfortunate result, but I know we're all proud of our former Zip representing the 🇺🇸 well in the 2022 World Cup and had to post a picture. Best wishes to DeAndre for whatever his future holds on and off the field.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/soccer/2022/12/3/23491378/united-states-eliminated-from-world-cup-after-3-1-loss-to-netherlands

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

IMO the US will always be at a disadvantage in the sport, where the best athletes (and any American athletes who weighs more than 160 lbs) (most of them) will go for the big money in football or basketball. But we can always dream of another miracle like the 1980 olympic hockey team...

• Thumbs down 1

16 minutes ago, Spin said:

IMO the US will always be at a disadvantage in the sport, where the best athletes (and any American athletes who weighs more than 160 lbs) (most of them) will go for the big money in football or basketball. But we can always dream of another miracle like the 1980 olympic hockey team...

"think small be small" to quote your signature.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spin said:

They're finally figuring out how to turn the tables, though. The world uses America for all sorts of things - education, better life, non-soccer sports, etc. Europe, at least, is finally returning the favor by letting us use their academies to groom our Men's National Team. However, until we get a legitimate striker that can finish, it won't matter. Our defense and midfield belonged against the Dutch. Our finishing ability did not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They're finally figuring out how to turn the tables, though. The world uses America for all sorts of things - education, better life, non-soccer sports, etc. Europe, at least, is finally returning the favor by letting us use their academies to groom our Men's National Team. However, until we get a legitimate striker that can finish, it won't matter. Our defense and midfield belonged against the Dutch. Our finishing ability did not. 

I’ll have the #9, please.  To go.

12 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

"think small be small" to quote your signature.

LOL that works two ways. Physical size and how I believe the University sees the athletic dept. 

You have to admit there are a lot more choices in the US for an athlete to decide on than probably anywhere else in the world. And Americans do like to eat… Other countries make fun of us.