MAC Suspends Mens Soccer sponsorship after 2022

5 hours ago, mes102 said:

I just saw this on Twitter and had to share it. This could become Akron's opening for a potential full time move to the Big East. 

Never mind. I just noticed this tweet is about five years old. Although on further review, this could still be true. 

Edited by mes102

9 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I wonder if those 3 will be favored OOC opponents for us going forward(?)

I certainly hope that they are not on future schedules.   

If they move to the Big East, they will have 11 league games.   There is going to be a ton of travel if they move to the big east so Northern Illinois should never be on the schedule.

11 league matches means that they will only have 6 non league games.

I would prefer to see the zips maintain their rivalries against Big Ten Teams.

I would keep Cleveland State on the schedule as long as zip Alum Sinisa is coaching there.

My preference would be Ohio State, Michigan State, Cleveland State, Wright State, Duquesne and Indiana.

The zips need a few fairly certain wins in non-league but they also need to have strong RPI matches.

If you want to toughen up the schedule, drop either Wright State or Duquesne...and add a Pitt or West Virginia.

I know that the zips have a long history with Penn State but that is another tough travel destination.

my two cents

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know if you saw my post in the soccer thread where the Big East was mentioned. The Big East media deal with Fox Sports is a 12 year, $500M deal - ~$40M per year. They don't have football. Compare this with the MAC's 13 year, $100M (~$8M per year) deal with football. 

Although the Big East deal is set to expire in a couple of years, their ratings beat most other sports on FS1, so this will most likely be renewed and maybe for even more. 

The $32M annual increase would more than justify moving every sport possible out of the MAC and into the Big East, while going Independent in football until a conference is found.

The BE has 8-9 full-member track programs so I don't know how keen they would be on adding another associate track team. I was thinking our women's LAX would also have been a good candidate as a BE associate since they only have 5 full member programs. I remembered we started out in the ASUN but it slipped my attention that the MAC started sponsoring women's lacrosse a couple years ago. Strange that we only have 4 full LAX members but disbanded soccer with the same number of participants. Must be a Title IX thing at the conference level.

Edited by ZippyRulz

18 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

The BE has 8-9 full-member track programs so I don't know how keen they would be on adding another associate track team. I was thinking our women's LAX would also have been a good candidate as a BE associate since they only have 5 full member programs. I remembered we started out in the ASUN but it slipped my attention that the MAC started sponsoring women's lacrosse a couple years ago. Strange that we only have 4 full LAX members but disbanded soccer with the same number of participants. Must be a Title IX thing at the conference level.

I would love to see our T&F program leave the MAC for the BE. We would compete quite well. Years ago the BE used to hold their indoor championships at the Stile Center on our campus. So we have a T&F history with them, but that's not enough to get us in. It's just fun to imagine. Chances of that happening are zero. 

On 7/4/2023 at 3:05 PM, ZippyRulz said:

I think it would've been 3 members. Akron was leaving regardless it seems. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:26 PM, TennZip said:

.I would keep Cleveland State on the schedule as long as zip Alum Sinisa is coaching there.

My preference would be Ohio State, Michigan State, Cleveland State, Wright State, Duquesne and Indiana.

I’ve been curious if fans from certain nearby programs “travel well” and make for fun rivals? 

Edited by Spin

On 7/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, 72 Roo said:

I would love to see our T&F program leave the MAC for the BE. We would compete quite well. Years ago the BE used to hold their indoor championships at the Stile Center on our campus. So we have a T&F history with them, but that's not enough to get us in. It's just fun to imagine. Chances of that happening are zero. 

Me too @72 Roo.  I've watched Big East T & F as well as XC for the past several years, as a niece and a nephew ran/threw for two BE schools recently.  They are a very pedestrian conference, besides a few stand-outs like a lot of conferences have.  Villa and Georgetown have a few M & F distance "stars", St. John's has a hard tome fielding a complete team.  Xavier and Marquette are pretty balances, Creighton has been tops.  We would compete for titles right away.

18 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Me too @72 Roo.  I've watched Big East T & F as well as XC for the past several years, as a niece and a nephew ran/threw for two BE schools recently.  They are a very pedestrian conference, besides a few stand-outs like a lot of conferences have.  Villa and Georgetown have a few M & F distance "stars", St. John's has a hard tome fielding a complete team.  Xavier and Marquette are pretty balances, Creighton has been tops.  We would compete for titles right away.

I guess they don't want strong competitors for the titles. That's why it's not going to happen. Who knows for sure though?