Game 3- Morgan State

clarkwgriswold

Long way to go for this group. Far from impressed. But it was nice to pick up a win. 

What amazes me is that the Zips looked elite against SDSU, and very shaky since then. Definitely not the timeline you would expect. I’m a big fan of Hankerson, he’s all over the place at every end, and though he didn’t shoot it great, they will wind up falling and he’s got to keep letting it fly. 

Hunter? Oooooof. Of course he finally makes a 3 and it’s wiped away by a very inconsistent 3-second call. The dunk was sweet, his handles aren’t great, but he’s very long and can be an effective player inside the perimeter. He could be our key to doing something special. But he’s got to step it up. Nice game for Nate Johnson too, seems to be getting up to speed a bit. 

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Go Zips!

I love Greg Tribble's effort and defense, but not enough to overlook the fact that he is a liability on offense. He can't shoot a jumper, he's average at the line and he is a turnover machine when he drives the lane. When he drives he forces too much rather than take what the defense gives. When he forces it into the paint he leaves his feet with no options, hence at TO. I'd start Johnson over him and bring him on for energy and D. 

27 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I love Greg Tribble's effort and defense, but not enough to overlook the fact that he is a liability on offense. He can't shoot a jumper, he's average at the line and he is a turnover machine when he drives the lane. When he drives he forces too much rather than take what the defense gives. When he forces it into the paint he leaves his feet with no options, hence at TO. I'd start Johnson over him and bring him on for energy and D. 

Our two best shooters each go 2-10 and you get on here talking about Tribbles shooting… stating the obvious. What is it with you guys lol kids tough as nails and does things not many people on earth can do at 6’1-6’’2 and you want to give his job to a freshman you’ve seen 3 mins of. 

Nate Johnson is the only new member of the team that has impressed me thus far.  Hankerson was 0 for 10 before he hit his last 2 three pointers.  I do not see him do anything but stand on the perimeter and shoot threes.  Sammy Hunter is 1 for 18 from the 3 line.  Once again would like to see him do something else other than whiff on the 3 ball.  He did have a great dunk but not much else.  Tribble had so many open 3 pointers and kept passing up on the shot and driving to the basket.  Considering that everyone else could not hit the side of the barn from 3 point land, I would like to see him attempt an open 3 ball.  He could not do much worse than Hankerson and Hunter.  Clark had an okay game but not nearly as good as he was playing at the end of the year.  I think this team was stuck on 42 for at least 7 minutes.  We have to play better and shoot better from the outside or this is going to be a long season.

• Like 1

I can see the potential of this team though right now it's still just potential.

We have 3 future pros on the roster in X, Freeman, and ... Nate Johnson.

But Nate Johnson has only played 3 games in his R-Freshman year (I know GoZips.com lists him as a Sophomore but GoZips.com also doesn't even have player pictures posted yet). He's going to have growing pains. But you can clearly see the potential. (Jimmy Conyers?)

We only need Greg & Garvin to be solid defenders & give the opposing defense something to think about once in a while.

The key to the season is Sammy and Hankerson.  They are the missing ingredients that need to get going... and our season hinges on whether they do or not.  If they fail to find their respective strokes, then we currently have a roster full of players that can't throw it in the ocean (sans X) and I'm afraid it's going to be a very long, very disappointing year.  However, if they both can find their respective strokes then we've actually got an extremely formidable lineup.

Aside #1: Does Hankerson take a split second too long to line up his shot? Has anyone else noticed this or am I suffering from cynicism?

Aside #2: Kobe Mitchell is an obvious transfer candidate at year's end. If the HS sharpshooter can't find PT with this Gang Who Can't Shoot Straight, then there is simply no PT to be had for Ohio's #14 all-time leading scorer. (Disappointing but not too surprising. I watched a handful of his high school games online and the SE Ohio D-4 competition they faced was truly abysmal. Didn't prepare him at all for this level.)

The start of the second half was one of the ugliest stretches of Zip basketball I have seen in some time.  No ball movement, worthless possessions, half-@$$ed defense...

I don't know what they need to do to get Hunter rolling but they need to figure it out fast.  When your 3rd big man is essentially 6-3 Nate Johnson you can't have either of the guys ahead of him floundering.  

I know it may not be a popular view, but I'd like to see Tribble come in off of the bench.  I love the kid and his effort but I think his energy and ability to sub in at the 1, 2 and 3 would make him a huge success in that role. 

I would point out that my hombre, X-Cast had his poorest performance so far, hitting just 2 of 10 from the floor (2/8 outside the arc).  However he made just 2 turnovers in 36 minutes and hit 10 free throws in 13 tries.  He's this team's anchor.  Thank heavens Groce got him outta Tampa.

After three games, it seems like we're about where we typically are under Groce. With the portal, you just aren't going to have the continuity from year-to-year...the beginning is always going to be erratic until everyone settles in.

I remember Xerius Willams struggling from behind the arc early-on, and guys like Banks, Cheese and LCJ all became much more consistent as time rolled on.

Hankerson plays good defense and has a smoothness about him on offense...he reminds me a little of Rashon Brown. Hopefully those two 3's that dropped late in the game yesterday boost his confidence. He's no Maishe Dailey. He just needs to settle in his role.

Lyles is intriguing. He seems to have a good touch around the rim. But he's too raw to get major minutes anytime soon.

Hunter hasn't shown much. Seems like he's overthinking on the offensive side. Groce says he's tearing it up in practice? He hasn't been close to tearing anything up in games thus far.

Nate Johnson has the body to replace Dawson this year. He's got great handles for a thick guy, and a nice touch from deep. If he develops quickly, it will really help free-up Casteneda and Freeman. Those two are our only offensive threats right now. 

'81's point regarding Clarke is valid...I was expecting Garvin to pick up where he left off at the end of last season. He's not close to that level yet.

Tribble will be more effective once Hankerson and Johnson become consistent offensive threats. His offensive limitations stick out because there are two other offense-addled Zips just like him every time we possess the ball. He'll have easier opportunities to score once defenders need to respect the shots of the other four Zips on the court.

Tavari looks like he's a player. But he's only 18. If he makes the most of his limited minutes and proves he can score a little at this level, there will plenty more minutes to be had as the season progresses. It's tough to be a HS star, and then sit 9th on the bench in college. But if he can accept it, and grinds, he'll be a contributor this year.

Freeman and Casteneda are great. Our defense is pretty good so far. We just need some offensive firepower to emerge and we'll be in the mix for a championship once again.

• Like 2

I've been thinking the last few days of what I want Tribble to look like. I have finally come up with the answer--Nick Harney!

Of course, I don't want him to become a carbon copy. And though he's a bit smaller, he has all of the tools he needs to be the great player that Harney never could be, since it was clear he didn't want to be. He didn't play hard, he didn't utilize his body to the maximum ability, and he had a terrible attitude. Tribble plays his behind off, uses his physicality to his advantage, and is perhaps the teamismist of them all.

Harney didn't have a good jump shot, but he could get around the basket and draw fouls, like Tribble. Most importantly, he was a wizard at finishing around the basket. I think he and Treadwell, now Freeman too, are the only Zips that I have ever had full confidence in when they get the ball inside of 5 feet. Harney, in particular, could throw it in off the glass from every angle, with the softest most finesse touch I have ever seen at Akron. If Tribble were able to do the same, he would be one of the all-time greats here. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but if that was a skill that Greg could develop, a ton of this team's issues would be solved.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I've been thinking the last few days of what I want Tribble to look like. I have finally come up with the answer--Nick Harney!

Of course, I don't want him to become a carbon copy. And though he's a bit smaller, he has all of the tools he needs to be the great player that Harney never could be, since it was clear he didn't want to be. He didn't play hard, he didn't utilize his body to the maximum ability, and he had a terrible attitude. Tribble plays his behind off, uses his physicality to his advantage, and is perhaps the teamismist of them all.

Harney didn't have a good jump shot, but he could get around the basket and draw fouls, like Tribble. Most importantly, he was a wizard at finishing around the basket. I think he and Treadwell, now Freeman too, are the only Zips that I have ever had full confidence in when they get the ball inside of 5 feet. Harney, in particular, could throw it in off the glass from every angle, with the softest most finesse touch I have ever seen at Akron. If Tribble were able to do the same, he would be one of the all-time greats here. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but if that was a skill that Greg could develop, a ton of this team's issues would be solved.

Don't forget about Big Dog around the basket!

Re: Tribble, agree if he's going to mark his mark on the offensive side, it's going to be around that basket. His athleticism masks his size there, but the size still does prohibit him some. I remember being frustrated with Tribble at the beginning of last year, but he seemed to come around as the year went on. Hopefully he does the same again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I wouldn't mind if he looks/plays like Harney but if he develops the same crappy attitude of whining, sulking, not coming into team huddles, etc... I will lose my damn mind (not unlike I did with Harney).  Tribble's effort and mindset with Harney's skill set would produce an All-American!

• Like 2