Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

Just read Buffalo is expecting 1-2 feet of snow this weekend. Buffalo opens as a 16 point favorite. This game is ripe for some wacky stuff to happen, and you would think it would favor the run game, which we haven't had much of this year. However, Wiley got it going last week. If DJ is ready (his injury looked rough so I don't have high hopes), we could just pull it off. This game may favor playing Jennings as he is a much better run threat than Undercuffler or Jankowski.

Jinx! Just started a new thread while you put this one up. Mods please take mine down, thanks!

There's a game this week! The Zips are in Buffalo on Saturday at 3:30pm on CBS Sports. Akron has not won in Buffalo since 2005. After winning the first 8 games in the all-time series against the Bulls, Akron has lost 10 of the last 13. Buffalo football has always held a very special place of sadness in my heart, as they closed the Rubber Bowl with a 4OT win over the Zips, and that was the loss that seemed to start the program's downward spiral.

The 2022 Buffalo Bulls started off the season looking like a bust. Following losses to Maryland, Holy Cross, and Coastal Carolina, they rattled off 5 straight wins starting with a blowout win at EMU, and concluding with a come-from-behind win over Toledo. However, they then went to OU and got hammered, and didn't survive their trip to CMU last week.

The two-headed rushing attack of Ron Cook and Mike Washington has continued the Buffalo tradition of being a dominant running team. Rutgers transfer QB Cole Snyder has run the show well, throwing 14 TDs to 7 INTs. They've also got a tough defense. The Bulls have racked up 16 sacks, picked off 9 passes, recovered 11 fumbles, and have deflected 40 passes.

The Zips have their work cut out for them. I'm not sure they'll even have a chance if they can't get the run game going. This is a very opportunistic defense that could feast on Akron's QBs. Buffalo is a 15-point favorite.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

According to who? That is definitely not what I heard. 

My bad, I think I am wrong on second look. Zoomed into the photo Guthrie shared of practice. Thought the QB was #0 but looks like #13.

Edited by LZIp

Earlier in the season, I was considering going to Buffalo this weekend to watch the Zips on Saturday, and then the Browns on Sunday.  After seeing the weather forecast, not a chance.  About 20 years ago I was on a business trip just into Canada across from Buffalo this exact time of year, and Buffalo got hit hard with snow and transportation was crippled.  What I had to do to get home for Thanksgiving was unbelievable.  

Is anyone going to Buffalo to watch the Zips live and brave the weather?  If so, please let us know.  We will pray for a safe trip for you.  I am very curious how many fans the Zips will have at the stadium and we can look for you on TV.

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

Earlier in the season, I was considering going to Buffalo this weekend to watch the Zips on Saturday, and then the Browns on Sunday.  After seeing the weather forecast, not a chance.  About 20 years ago I was on a business trip just into Canada across from Buffalo this exact time of year, and Buffalo got hit hard with snow and transportation was crippled.  What I had to do to get home for Thanksgiving was unbelievable.  

tenor-158834248.gif.ae4d03cc0380530aab5d323bf904f4b2.gif

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, bigjim said:

Is anyone going to Buffalo to watch the Zips live and brave the weather?  If so, please let us know.  We will pray for a safe trip for you.  I am very curious how many fans the Zips will have at the stadium and we can look for you on TV.

Go Zips!!!

In the interest of traveling to games, just throwing this out there for those who have the flexibility and don't mind using budget airlines:

https://www.flyfrontier.com/deals/gowild-pass?mobile=true

(Takes effect next May)

Oh to be fully retired and able to travel to all the games...

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, bigjim said:

Go Zips!!!

My plan is to go but with each passing forecast it is getting less and less likely.   I am a teacher and I am worried I cant get back by Monday morning as we have Bills tickets as well...... 

1 hour ago, zipsfan33 said:

My plan is to go but with each passing forecast it is getting less and less likely.   I am a teacher and I am worried I cant get back by Monday morning as we have Bills tickets as well...... 

Take a sick or personal day on Monday and go! It sounds like a very memorable weekend.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Take a sick or personal day on Monday and go! It sounds like a very memorable weekend.

Maybe 20 years ago I travelled to see the Zips-Wisconsin in Madison on Saturday, and the Vikings-Packers in Lambeau on Sunday (I've been a Vikings fans since I was a little kid). It was one of my all time favorite weekends! But - it was in sunny September and not a blizzard November. 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Surprised he survived as long as he did.  Now the trick is keeping him here for next year.

I think he only needs to look as far as Gibson to see the portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. 

DJ's been given the keys to the car, and the long leash to fight through whatever missteps he's endured. If he goes elsewhere, for only 1 season, he's not gonna get that. He could easily become "The Undercuffler of Florida".

One more season in Joe's offense, with the WR's we'll bring in/bring back, with an improved offensive line, and he can get some NFL looks. He's 6' 6", 215 lbs, strong, he can run with force, good arm...he just needs to tighten things up in the red zone. He has a whole offseason to work with Joe and figure it out. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zipsfan33 said:

I would appreciate it if you went and rooted for the Zips and Browns.  However, I just saw an article on a MSN page that said that the snowfall forecast may now be up to 6 feet and the NFL is exploring options to move the Browns Biills game to another date or location.  No mention was made of the Zips Buffalo game.  A problem is that the Bills play on Thanksgiving.  I remember in November 1996 when where I live got 69 inches of snow over 3 days, and it nearly shut down the area.  Here's to hoping the forecast is wrong.  If you go, be safe and careful.

Go Zips!!!

I now see that LoyalZIP beat me to the punch in the link above.  Sorry for the partial repeat.

Edited by bigjim
  • Like 1

The more I think about it and look at it, I don't really see how this game gets played. The team is supposed to leave tomorrow, after the storm has begun, and then make their way back as the storm continues to roll? Yeah, I don't see it. I haven't heard anything regarding cancellation/moving happening, but my novice opinion would predict no game. 

Anyone go by campus to see if the equipment truck has left yet? It usually heads out a day before the team.

44 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The more I think about it and look at it, I don't really see how this game gets played. The team is supposed to leave tomorrow, after the storm has begun, and then make their way back as the storm continues to roll? Yeah, I don't see it. I haven't heard anything regarding cancellation/moving happening, but my novice opinion would predict no game. 

Anyone go by campus to see if the equipment truck has left yet? It usually heads out a day before the team.

I just called Coach Joe to ask him if the game was still being played, and his phone was turned off.  I then called Guthrie, and his number was forwarded to someone who did not answer.  After a couple of calls to the ticket office, I finally got hold of someone.  The person said that there were calls with the coach, AD, and MAC in the morning, but no decision has been made as of the current time.  He did not know if the equipment truck had left yet.  He suggested I call back tomorrow to see if there was an update.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think he only needs to look as far as Gibson to see the portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. 

DJ's been given the keys to the car, and the long leash to fight through whatever missteps he's endured. If he goes elsewhere, for only 1 season, he's not gonna get that. He could easily become "The Undercuffler of Florida".

One more season in Joe's offense, with the WR's we'll bring in/bring back, with an improved offensive line, and he can get some NFL looks. He's 6' 6", 215 lbs, strong, he can run with force, good arm...he just needs to tighten things up in the red zone. He has a whole offseason to work with Joe and figure it out. 

From your mouth to the football gods ears!  In this era of the transfer portal and greener grass, I am always worried and for some reason I just get a bad feeling on this one.