Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

At this point, everything, including the amount of snow, is just speculation.  It is great that the road crews, MAC, and NFL have contingency plans and are preparing for the worst.  If the road crews stay out and ahead of the snow, the roads can be passible, especially if the snow amount is closer to 3 feet and not 6 feet.  I am looking forward to the decisions that will be made.  I was so looking forward to football this weekend.

Go Zips!!!

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

It could be done, fairly easily. I think it would come down to Buffalo agreeing to do it, which I don’t see happening. 

It beats not playing the game for them. They need to win their last 2 games to have any chance of winning the MAC East and needs 1 more win to be bowl eligible. 

This game getting cancelled really wouldn't matter to Akron. Our season is already shot. Buffalo needs this game played otherwise there is a pretty decent chance they won't even make it to a bowl and no chance of representing the MAC East in Detroit.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This is the answer, however this is Akron, so I doubt we could pull it off in short order. They should also play the NFL game in Cleveland.

I feel the difference is the NFL can actually afford to eat the cost of hosting that game at a neutral site. The MAC can't afford to rent out Cleveland Browns Stadium or wherever for a meaningless regular season game.

40 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Unless maybe if we swap locations again next year. Which joemo probably wouldnt like.

If I were the commish, I would give UB and ultimatum. Either you come to Akron to play this weekend AND you come again as regularly scheduled next year, you get the extra game to try to get bowl eligible. If not, we don’t make Akron travel and the game is no contest. You need to beat Kent to get win #6. 

If this game does get canceled, their fans will bitch and moan relentlessly, especially if they lose to Kent next week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Seems like a pretty easy solution to me. Play on December 10th only if Buffalo needs the game to make a bowl. If not, don't play it.  A 12 team college football playoff would solve this whole snow problem.

The issue with that is, as of right now, Buffalo needs the game in order to keep MAC-C hopes alive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The issue with that is, as of right now, Buffalo needs the game in order to keep MAC-C hopes alive.

I don't see how Buffalo wins the division. They are a game behind OU with OU having one game to go and OU has won the head-to-head matchup (assuming the MAC uses this stat to break ties, which would make sense so I'm suspicious the MAC uses the stat to break ties).  Even if OU loses next week there is no way for Buffalo to catch up.

3 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think if the game wasn’t postponed or canceled by now, it is proceeding as scheduled. 

I just shake my head reading this post. After all of these years, have you learned nothing about the MAC? It takes time for bad ideas to bring out their flavors in the crockpot of stupidity that is the MAC league office. There is still time to make a really bad decision that will create both terrible entertainment for students, alumni, fans and the general communities around these schools as well as putting the safety of the players in question because of travel through a blizzard.  

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I don't see how Buffalo wins the division. They are a game behind OU with OU having one game to go and OU has won the head-to-head matchup (assuming the MAC uses this stat to break ties, which would make sense so I'm suspicious the MAC uses the stat to break ties).  Even if OU loses next week there is no way for Buffalo to catch up.

If Buffalo, BG, and OU all finish 6-2 then UB would win the division since they have the best division record of the 3 teams.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what all has been discussed this week. I feel that as soon as it was clear there was a chance of some weather, contingency plans should have been made for a bunch of different things. 

Monday or Tuesday, they should and could have done a few things:

• Find a location further south in the state that would not get hit by the storm, and make sure Akron has a route to this location unaffected by the storm. Logistically determine if there is indeed a location that could host, and go from there. Tell the teams to prepare for travel, one way or another
  • Move the game to Akron. Immediately give UB the ultimatum I mentioned previously in the thread. With 5 days notice, Akron could have very very easily gotten ready to host. And UB could have thrown the stuff they needed on the truck with a night of overtime for the EQ staff, grab a couple buses, and take the long way to Akron.
  • At the very least, they could have postponed the game the very second that the NFL moved their game, and gone from there. The teams were not told anything, and prepared as if they were playing a game tomorrow all along. Akron would be getting ready to leave shortly, to my knowledge the EQ truck has already left. What a cluster.
  • Like 1