Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

7 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

And so it begins. The folks with a track around their football field have spoken.

79AD83BF-7708-4BA8-AA77-90DDB383D946_4_5005_c.jpeg

I went to their forum to read. They keep saying how the roads are clear and how Akron is being difficult. Never mind Buffalos mayor is warning anyone to be out in Buffalo once the snow pick up. But yeah, Akron's fault LOL. 

Edited by GoZips86

1 minute ago, GoZips86 said:

I went to their forum to read. They keep saying how the roads are clear and how Akron is being difficult. Never mind Buffalos mayor is warning anyone to be out in Buffalo once the snow pick up. But yeah, Akron's fault LOL. 

They're proving just as dumb as the Nebraska fans were in 2018. You think this is Akron's decision? You think they're scared? No dips***, the league wasn't thinking when it gave you a pair of potentially important home games in November. Joe now potentially doesn't get another game of film to grow the program, and their track & field....er sorry football team may not get the chance to lose by 50 in a bowl game.

• Like 2

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

They're proving just as dumb as the Nebraska fans were in 2018. You think this is Akron's decision? You think they're scared? No dips***, the league wasn't thinking when it gave you a pair of potentially important home games in November. Joe now potentially doesn't get another game of film to grow the program, and their track & field....er sorry football team may not get the chance to lose by 50 in a bowl game.

100% agree!! Boggles my mind. Bunch of illogical children seem to be Bulls fans at this moment. 

Hello from Buffalo.......Im here in peace....

Kent States Equipment truck got lost the last time this happened (2014 and we got screwed out of a Bowl game that year as a result), also with plenty of warning....

Its been a running joke this week to see if Akron's drivers could prove theyre better than Kent's....considering your rivalry and all

I-86 East to I-390 North to I-90West would get them here without seeing very much snow at all......and most likely be in the sun 90% of the way.......and thats leaving today with the snow band south of Buffalo.

Edited by brjacr75

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

The announcement states the game may be played on Sunday? 🧐🤔

I am doubtful. I'd say make it another Tuesday MACtion game but that would be very short turnaround for the NIU game.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow. Total snow accumulations of 2
to 4 feet in the most persistent lake snows. The greatest risk
of the highest totals will be from South Buffalo to Lancaster.
The heaviest snow is expected through Friday night when
snowfall rates could exceed 3 inches per hour. Winds gusting
as high as 35 mph will produce patchy blowing snow.

* WHERE...Northern Erie and Genesee counties.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult to impossible. The
hazardous conditions will impact the Friday morning and
evening commutes. The heavy snow could also bring down some
tree limbs and cause scattered power outages.

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Buffalo Bills cancelled practice today. Their players can't even drive 30 mins or less to attend practice, but delusional Canadians expect Akron to be there for the game. SMH.

I heard the Buffalo/Niagara airport aviation director say on the Weather Channel a little while ago that the Bills aren't scheduled to leave until tomorrow afternoon since they wanted practice today. He did say they have a few other flights still scheduled to go out today. Maybe the Bills will get out today too.

Edited by ewbrooman1

Hello again....... I wish people would understand how these lake effect storms actually work.  Just because theyre calling for 3-4 feet of snow in Buffalo, doesnt mean that all of the WNY area is going to get 3-4 feet of snow.  If the band, thats only 15-20 miles wide becomes stationary over one area, then yes, that area gets dumped on.

Thats whats currently happening in the Southtowns below Buffalo (where the Bills Play), so yes, references Im seeing to the Bills and their game, and practice, etc.  makes sense.  Its a mess in that area.  Trying to get that amount of snow moved to allow for 70,000 fans, stadium staff, or even get the players there from their homes (since they mostly live in that area), would be totally different circumstances compared to the UB game.

UB sits in the Northtowns.  Im in Niagara Falls, 20 miles North of Buffalo, and the sun is out.  We are expecting this snow band to start moving North tomorrow.  BUT, when it moves and continues to move, the snow amounts from it drop.  Theyre calling for 3-6inches for me here in Niagara Falls.  A little bit more in Amherst.  But that happens tomorrow afternoon & evening.  Currently theyre expecting the snow band to weaken overnight Saturday.  In fact, they were pretty much predicting that the event would be over by kickoff of the Bills game on Sunday.

So yes....postponing from Saturday makes sense.....Sunday, if the field can be cleaned off....it should be alright.

And as I said in my last post, even with the snow south of Buffalo.....at this time.....you could drive here in be in Sun alot of the way.

EDIT:  For perspective on how variable the weather is here in WNY and how mere miles makes all the difference with these lake effect storms.  In 2006, Downtown Buffalo got 24inches of snow in one afternoon.  My wife got standed in Buffalo overnight at the water intake plant.  In Niagara Falls, we still had green grass.

In fact, in my area.....we get the most amount of snow from noreasters that go up the East Coast than any Lake effect off of Lake Erie.  Reason being is with the Noreasters, the wind shifts and comes from the East/NE, thus causing Lake Effect enhancement off of Lake Ontario, and the most Ive seen from them is still only maybe 20".

I wish sometimes for the Jim Cantore's of the world would do a better job of explaining this to people than "OMGawd.....3feet of snow!!!!!!".  Hey Jim drive 5 miles north or south and show the viewers that too. 

Edited by brjacr75
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

Kent States Equipment truck got lost the last time this happened (2014 and we got screwed out of a Bowl game that year as a result), also with plenty of warning....

Its been a running joke this week to see if Akron's drivers could prove theyre better than Kent's....considering your rivalry and all

I-86 East to I-390 North to I-90West would get them here without seeing very much snow at all......and most likely be in the sun 90% of the way.......and thats leaving today with the snow band south of Buffalo.

The problem is getting to I-86 east to begin with. Last I saw, just 60 miles East of Cleveland (Ashtabula) through Erie is getting dumped on as well, and I believe 90 may be shut down, or at least shut down to commercial traffic on that stretch. No realistic way to get the truck there, unless you expect them to to go to dang near Phili and go up and around.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

The problem is getting to I-86 east to begin with. Last I saw, just 60 miles East of Cleveland (Ashtabula) through Erie is getting dumped on as well, and I believe 90 may be shut down, or at least shut down to commercial traffic on that stretch. No realistic way to get the truck there, unless you expect them to to go to dang near Phili and go up and around.

I may tend to believe your definition of "dumped on" may differ from mine.  As of this morning, the estimates were for the area adjacent to the lake shore (Not directly in the snow band) all the way down to Erie at least was maybe 3".  Thats how much snow we got here in Niagara Falls over night and its already melted.  There are multiple routes out of Akron that potentially avoid that route to get to I-86 one could choose, if there was that much concern.

Edited by brjacr75

4 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

I have no doubt this is true. Kent State is the worst public university in Ohio. Truly stupid people. My guess is their university president was driving the truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

Also, unless I'm missing something, did Akron bail themselves or was it a group decision by the MAC? Both schools maybe? Confusing as to why it's been posted as if Akron cried about being too scared (per some Bulls fans...)

I dont believe anybody is really saying your "scared".  What were implying is, because this happened before with Kent, and because we understand the nature of these storms first hand, and because there was plenty of warning of this, the game is possible if whomever planned ahead. 

Believe me, if this things get all screwed up from this point, and that game could have been played on Sunday.....we're going to have more questions for the Conference than for Akron.

That equipment truck should have left yesterday....and if not then.....today and still had the ability to completely drive AROUND the entire storm and not going more east than Rochester.

Besides the perceived being called scared ranks right up there with us being called Canadians....neither is true.

Edited by brjacr75
  • Like 1