Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

1 hour ago, brjacr75 said:

I may tend to believe your definition of "dumped on" may differ from mine.  As of this morning, the estimates were for the area adjacent to the lake shore (Not directly in the snow band) all the way down to Erie at least was maybe 3".  Thats how much snow we got here in Niagara Falls over night and its already melted.  There are multiple routes out of Akron that potentially avoid that route to get to I-86 one could choose, if there was that much concern.

Thank you for your posts, seriously.  You beat me to the post and I will add more here.   I agree with most of what you say.  The main item is that if you do not live in the snow belt, you do not understand the concept of lake effect snow.  I live in Geauga County, east of Cleveland, and we may get more snow than Buffalo.  We average about 9 feet of snow per year.  We got a 69-inch snowfall in Nov 96, and I did not miss a day of work.  Sure, the snowplows were working, and I snow blew every 3-4 hours, but we got around as needed.  Now, we get 6 inches of snow in Geauga County and the plows, shovels, and snow blowers come out and nobody thinks twice, and the kids go to school, and adults go to work. In Akron and Cleveland, 6 inches of snow shuts down everything and schools are cancelled.  From where I am, 5-10 miles north or south and there are only flurries when we get the snow.  

I do appreciate the proactive safety of moving/delaying the games.  You cannot always predict exactly where the snow will fall.  There are days when I get 10 inches of snow and 5 miles away in the snowbelt there is very little, or vice versa.  It is easy to look back and comment on the areas where snow did not fall.  Not so easy to predict, so I support the weather forecasts and moves/delays.  

I understand that Buffalo wants to get bowl eligible, and Akron seems like easy pickings to get to 6 wins.  I am also hoping they figure out how to play the game.  Please continue with updates on the weather.

Go Zips!!!!

brjacr75 - I look forward to your reply and comments.

Edited by bigjim

21 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

I dont believe anybody is really saying your "scared".  What were implying is, because this happened before with Kent, and because we understand the nature of these storms first hand, and because there was plenty of warning of this, the game is possible if whomever planned ahead. 

Believe me, if this things get all screwed up from this point, and that game could have been played on Sunday.....we're going to have more questions for the Conference than for Akron.

That equipment truck should have left yesterday....and if not then.....today and still had the ability to completely drive AROUND the entire storm and not going more east than Rochester.

Besides the perceived being called scared ranks right up there with us being called Canadians....neither is true.

I see, I see.

Well, regardless, glad to have you aboard here! Once the game is played, please circle in here in our Game 11-Buffalo thread for your thoughts! 🙂

Edited by GoZips86

I am going to got out and a limb and assume that to get to UB, even it is the balmy climes north of the real weather mess one would have to travel through the actual mess to get to it.  🙄

UA has a real incentive to avoid this one as it really has a chance to put a damper on an otherwise lovely season.

16 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Thank you for your posts, seriously.  You beat me to the post and I will add more here.   I agree with most of what you say.  The main item is that if you do not live in the snow belt, you do not understand the concept of lake effect snow.  I live in Geauga County, east of Cleveland, and we may get more snow than Buffalo.  We average about 9 feet of snow per year.  We got a 69-inch snowfall in Nov 96, and I did not miss a day of work.  Sure, the snowplows were working, and I snow blew every 3-4 hours, but we got around as needed.  Now, we get 6 inches of snow in Geauga County and the plows, shovels, and snow blowers come out and nobody thinks twice, and the kids go to school, and adults go to work. In Akron and Cleveland, 6 inches of snow shuts down everything and schools are cancelled.  From where I am, 5-10 miles north or south and there are only flurries when we get the snow.  

I do appreciate the proactive safety of moving/delaying the games.  You cannot always predict exactly where the snow will fall.  There are days when I get 10 inches of snow and 5 miles away in the snowbelt there is very little, or vice versa.  It is easy to look back and comment on the areas where snow did not fall.  Not so easy to predict, so I support the weather forecasts and moves/delays.  

I understand that Buffalo wants to get bowl eligible, and Akron seems like easy pickings to get to 6 wins.  I am also hoping they figure out how to play the game.  Please continue with updates on the weather.

Go Zips!!!!

brjacr75 - I look forward to your reply and comments.

Thanks for the reply........all spot on.....

This game actually means more than just 6 wins and Bowl eligibility.  Basically we're still playing for a shot at Detroit.  UB needs to win these next two games and Bowling Green needs to beat Ohio (with Rourke potentially out).  If we all end up tied after next week, we go to Detroit.

Of course if one of these these three things dont happen....thats on us....and those Ohio bastards....we just dont want to lose the shot at it until then.  Cancelling the game kills it immediately.

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I am going to got out and a limb and assume that to get to UB, even it is the balmy climes north of the real weather mess one would have to travel through the actual mess to get to it.  🙄

UA has a real incentive to avoid this one as it really has a chance to put a damper on an otherwise lovely season.

No......

Once youre to the NY State line......I86East - I390North - I90West.  If they left today even, they could have driven around the worst of all of it.

If the few inches that were possible from Cleveland up to Erie are concerning....

I76 out of Akron to Youngstown - I80 into PA - I79 North to Erie.....and catch I86 outside of Erie and continue with the above.

5 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

No......

Once youre to the NY State line......I86East - I390North - I90West.  If they left today even, they could have driven around the worst of all of it.

If the few inches that were possible from Cleveland up to Erie are concerning....

I76 out of Akron to Youngstown - I80 into PA - I79 North to Erie.....and catch I86 outside of Erie and continue with the above.

Erie PA has a foot of snow already…Edgewood OH (near Ashtabula) has 16 inches. Its hitting Buffalo area the worst, but that isn’t the only place it’s hitting.

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Erie PA has a foot of snow already…Edgewood OH (near Ashtabula) has 16 inches. Its hitting Buffalo area the worst, but that isn’t the only place it’s hitting.

I wonder what time frame theyre dealing with here....our warnings I believe went into effect Wednesday Overnight and run through Sunday.  The one dot closest to Niagara Falls seems to be accurate....3-4 inches - and its completely gone already.  Not saying thats not the case down past Erie....just curious if thats snow fall totals from say yesterday.

Dont get me wrong here....I dont want to make it sound like Im (or we) are putting a football game ahead of the safety of your team....its just that the conference should have learned its lesson from the Kent fiasco before....and alot of the dangerousness could have been mitigated/planned for.

I also just learned in the last hour that Akron would be busing it here.  Equipment truck is one thing.  The entire team and staff on buses is something else entirely.  Changes the perspective on everything.

It just sucks.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

Hello from Buffalo.......Im here in peace....

Kent States Equipment truck got lost the last time this happened (2014 and we got screwed out of a Bowl game that year as a result), also with plenty of warning....

Its been a running joke this week to see if Akron's drivers could prove theyre better than Kent's....considering your rivalry and all

Not sure whose drivers would be better. You are probably not aware that the Akron-Kent rivalry Wagon Wheel Trophy is based on the story of a wagon wheel that got stuck in the mud. 😉

41 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

I wonder what time frame theyre dealing with here....our warnings I believe went into effect Wednesday Overnight and run through Sunday.  The one dot closest to Niagara Falls seems to be accurate....3-4 inches - and its completely gone already.  Not saying thats not the case down past Erie....just curious if thats snow fall totals from say yesterday.

Live view of I-90 in Ashtabula. Sorry for the sideways pic.

136F4F2C-ACBA-47E5-9F04-2F09F6FDF345.jpeg

Edited by LZIp

Word is….

Zips EQ truck left as scheduled and made it yesterday. MAC told them to turn around and come home, which it did and is back at UA. Conference call with the MAC tomorrow morning to see what can be figured out. One production company already turned down the opportunity to go up there on Sunday to put it on some kind of TV. 

I guess we’ll find out sometime tomorrow what happens. None of this makes sense to me. 

Edit: Also, Zips basketball plays in the Caymans on Monday, and the radio crew will be there for that. Not sure they would be able to do a Sunday game, so just spitballing it could just be UB radio for any kind of broadcast of the game if there is one. 

Edited by LoyalZIP

38 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Word is….

Zips EQ truck left as scheduled and made it yesterday. MAC told them to turn around and come home, which it did and is back at UA. Conference call with the MAC tomorrow morning to see what can be figured out. One production company already turned down the opportunity to go up there on Sunday to put it on some kind of TV. 

I guess we’ll find out sometime tomorrow what happens. None of this makes sense to me. 

Edit: Also, Zips basketball plays in the Caymans on Monday, and the radio crew will be there for that. Not sure they would be able to do a Sunday game, so just spitballing it could just be UB radio for any kind of broadcast of the game if there is one. 

The equipment truck was here…..then went back…….because of course they did……unbelievable.

Even if they have a conference call tomorrow, in the morning, the brunt of the snow that UB is supposed to get, and me afterwards at home, wouldn’t have even started.  So they’re trying to make decisions without useful data.

seems to me the MAC is just angling to cancel the game and this postponement makes it look “good”

not that I expect you guys to care….but this will be the third time in less than 10 years that has screwed over UB.  

As an outsider I don’t want assume, but what your peoples impressions of the MAC Conference overall?

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Not sure whose drivers would be better. You are probably not aware that the Akron-Kent rivalry Wagon Wheel Trophy is based on the story of a wagon wheel that got stuck in the mud. 😉

LOL…..I knew of the Wagon Wheel Trophy, didn’t know the story behind it:  awesome

5 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

As an outsider I don’t want assume, but what your peoples impressions of the MAC Conference overall?

Like the stability and rivalries, but leadership just seems a step behind every other conference. Content with status quo when everything is changing. Think we need a better TV deal and we missed out on adding WKU and MTSU, though the rumor is MTSU is the one who mixed that. Still, we only attempted to make that move after all the other dominoes fell.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Maybe 20 years ago I travelled to see the Zips-Wisconsin in Madison on Saturday, and the Vikings-Packers in Lambeau on Sunday (I've been a Vikings fans since I was a little kid). It was one of my all time favorite weekends! But - it was in sunny September and not a blizzard November. 😁

I got back from the 2005 MAC Championship game at 330am and still went to work!     As for taking a sick day, its a lot harder to miss a day than not in todays educational world, sadly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Like the stability and rivalries, but leadership just seems a step behind every other conference. Content with status quo when everything is changing. Think we need a better TV deal and we missed out on adding WKU and MTSU, though the rumor is MTSU is the one who mixed that. Still, we only attempted to make that move after all the other dominoes fell.

Pretty much where we are too.  Although we have no rivalry’s with anyone really being “newer”. Ohio maybe, but also know we’re not their big rival either.  We can’t ever win there, they don’t ever win here.

I personally get disgusted with the MAC as they always seem to be the “do nothing” conference and never seem to try to do anything.  Your WKU/MTSU example as an example.

One of the “screw” jobs we ended up with, where we got pissed at the MAC, not weather related was a few years ago, both WMU and UB were both bowl eligible, with already a full slate of Bowl teams, and the MAC decided instead of picking, leave both teams home, and gave 1 or 2 of their potential bowl game tie ins to either Conf USA or the Sun Belt that had extra bowl eligible teams that year too.

2 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

Dont get me wrong here....I dont want to make it sound like Im (or we) are putting a football game ahead of the safety of your team....its just that the conference should have learned its lesson from the Kent fiasco before....and alot of the dangerousness could have been mitigated/planned for.

I also just learned in the last hour that Akron would be busing it here.  Equipment truck is one thing.  The entire team and staff on buses is something else entirely.  Changes the perspective on everything.

It just sucks.....

Yep, this is the MAC.   If the school is within say 4-5 hours, it's almost always bus, or buses in this case.   And thing of it once you get to the hotel, you've got to make sure that the hotel has all of their food supplies, staff for dinners, etc there as well.  Not to mention any of the support staff on the Buffalo end too.   you still have the logistics once you are on the other end.   After all, it look like several major interstates are still closed (as of 7:00pm Friday), how would the team even get to the stadium.  

So, could they have left 48-72 hours before the game?  Sure.  But that's only part of what it would take to put on a game at UB.

31 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

Pretty much where we are too.  Although we have no rivalry’s with anyone really being “newer”. Ohio maybe, but also know we’re not their big rival either.  We can’t ever win there, they don’t ever win here.

I personally get disgusted with the MAC as they always seem to be the “do nothing” conference and never seem to try to do anything.  Your WKU/MTSU example as an example.

One of the “screw” jobs we ended up with, where we got pissed at the MAC, not weather related was a few years ago, both WMU and UB were both bowl eligible, with already a full slate of Bowl teams, and the MAC decided instead of picking, leave both teams home, and gave 1 or 2 of their potential bowl game tie ins to either Conf USA or the Sun Belt that had extra bowl eligible teams that year too.

In basketball we consider you guys a big rival. Hopefully our football team gets its act together and we can stoke a rivalry there too. KSUcks is, of course, our arch-rival, but Ohio and you guys are our next fiercest rivals.