Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Buffalo will ultimately decide whether this game gets played. If they’re in the MAC-C, it won’t be played. If they’re bowl eligible, I’m skeptical it would be played. Should we cater to them? I’m all for playing the game because I enjoy watching the Zips this season for the most part though we haven’t been able to get over the hump. Just rubs me the wrong way that the team who had to cancel will ultimately get to make the call.

I'm curious as to why you think UB was the one that had to cancel the game.  Do you think that was our call to do that?  We had people shoveling the field two days in a row (plus it would have had to been done again Sunday) just to keep the field playable. 

From my perspective.....I think UB has plenty of opportunity to get Bowl Eligible by beating Kent this week.  They also had the same opportunity against CMU two weeks ago, and blew it.  If UB cant get it done, then it shouldnt require having to even play a down Akron.  IMHO, UB doesnt deserve it.

But under no circumstances should we be getting the blame for cancelling the game.  There was plenty of opportunity for this game to be played.  It could have been played Saturday as scheduled, seeing that the snow had already passed and was being dealt with prior to hearing of the cancellation, with no more snow expected until about midnight.  It could have been Sunday, but in all honesty, even though it was sunny, the wind picked up and were getting 10-20MPH, with 30MPH Gusts, so it would have made for worse conditions.

The alternate route to Buffalo was completely available to traffic up until Sunday midday.  Akron's equipment truck was here, and turned around and went back on Thursday long before anything really got going.   While the roads in the general UB area were messy Saturday morning, they were passable if anybody has ever had to drive in the winter, and completely passable by the afternoon. 

This wasnt our call.......

58 minutes ago, brjacr75 said:

I'm curious as to why you think UB was the one that had to cancel the game.  Do you think that was our call to do that?  We had people shoveling the field two days in a row (plus it would have had to been done again Sunday) just to keep the field playable. 

From my perspective.....I think UB has plenty of opportunity to get Bowl Eligible by beating Kent this week.  They also had the same opportunity against CMU two weeks ago, and blew it.  If UB cant get it done, then it shouldnt require having to even play a down Akron.  IMHO, UB doesnt deserve it.

But under no circumstances should we be getting the blame for cancelling the game.  There was plenty of opportunity for this game to be played.  It could have been played Saturday as scheduled, seeing that the snow had already passed and was being dealt with prior to hearing of the cancellation, with no more snow expected until about midnight.  It could have been Sunday, but in all honesty, even though it was sunny, the wind picked up and were getting 10-20MPH, with 30MPH Gusts, so it would have made for worse conditions.

The alternate route to Buffalo was completely available to traffic up until Sunday midday.  Akron's equipment truck was here, and turned around and went back on Thursday long before anything really got going.   While the roads in the general UB area were messy Saturday morning, they were passable if anybody has ever had to drive in the winter, and completely passable by the afternoon. 

I do not think that Buffalo wanted to or canceled this game.  You guys had everything in sight to win against an awful Akron team.  However, in today's day and age, safety and potential lawsuits tend to rule the landscape.  Although you are claiming the game could have been played, I am glad that it was proactively cancelled based on the forecasts.  I think you need to give up your crusade on this forum.  Nobody here made the decision and I, would have loved to see the game played, if it was safe.

Go Zips!!!

3 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

I don’t blame UB. This has conference blunder written all over it. We will have to agree to disagree at this point, but I’m of the belief that the game should have been moved (either up a day or two or a different location)  and the alt route you suggest wasn’t a viable option as Lake Effect snow was an issue from Buffalo to Cleveland suburbs. 

Why should it be up to the university whether they play it or not? The MAC seriously needs to grow a set.

It was 45' in Buffalo today, and is forecast to be above freezing all week. 

3 minutes ago, Spin said:

Why should it be up to the university whether they play it or not? The MAC seriously needs to grow a set.

It was 45' in Buffalo today, and is forecast to be above freezing all week. 

Mhmm..playing Buffalo today then even moving the NIU game to Sunday if you need to doesn’t seem like that difficult a task.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

I don’t blame UB. This has conference blunder written all over it. We will have to agree to disagree at this point, but I’m of the belief that the game should have been moved (either up a day or two or a different location)  and the alt route you suggest wasn’t a viable option as Lake Effect snow was an issue from Buffalo to Cleveland suburbs. 

Okay......I must have misunderstood by what you meant in your earlier post:

Just rubs me the wrong way that the team who had to cancel will ultimately get to make the call.

Apologies...

21 hours ago, brjacr75 said:

I think that if Buffalo really wanted to play this game they could have used a stadium located in a less snowy part of Canada.

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

Game just became irrelevant for championship implications for Buffalo. Ohio beat Bowling Green tonight so they win the East. 

And it wasn't really close; Buffalo in fact missed winning the East by a wide margin. But they can become bowl eligible this week by beating Portage Day Care Academy, making our game with them truly irrelevant in which case I'd recommend postponing it until next fall and saving ourselves an international trip to the Great White North.

Years ago my brother belonged to Arrowhead CC in North Canton. One afternoon we decided to play a quick round. I easily shot a 60 on the first 8 holes. If you play golf and say you have never played this bad you are lying. We were going to hang it up after 9 and live to fight another day. 

The 9th hole had a group of 15-20 people standing around watching and I resigned myself to an embarrassing finish. Par 4, first shot straight down the fairway, second shot 20 feet from the hole and I two putted for par. Everyone patted me on the back for a great hole but none knew how bad I really was playing.

I felt so good about the 9th we decided to play the back nine and I played even worse on the back 9. Easily shot over 140. It was like being on a train that was wrecking for 4 hours. 

What does this have to do with the Zips?  I think they are going to win this weekend at NIU and it would be the final game. I can't see any good coming out of rescheduling this game.