Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

Side note ahead of this game.

Shocky Jacques-Louis and Alex Adams each have exactly 837 yds receiving according to ESPN. Daniel George has 693 yds.

Adams and George will be back next year. When is the last time we had a receiving corps like this? (My first guess would be the last time JoeMo was here - Hixon & Jabari Arthur in 2005)

Here's to hoping one or both of SJL & Adams have a huge day(s). 

I was looking up the season long stats of top 100 players at positions of Akron and Buffalo on ESPN.com of the players who are expected to play Friday (did not include Irons and surprised Victor Jones was not on the sack list).  One caveat is that Akron and Buffalo have played 11 games while everyone else has played 12.  Numbers should increase.  I went through a lot of numbers so I may have missed some stats.  

-Cole Snyder, Buffalo QB is 58th in passing at 2501 yards

-Former Buffalo QB from Stow Kyle Vantrease is 3rd in the nation in passing yards at 3,897 for Georgia Southern.  

-Bubba is 9th in tackles at 118

-Shaun Dolac from Buffalo is 5th in tackles at 123

-James Patterson from Buffalo is 50th in tackles at 98

-Jacq Louis is tied with Alex Adams at 50th in receiving at 837 yards

On this limited data, it tells me that Buffalo has a better defense, but Akron has a slightly better offense.  I do not see it justifying the Buff -11.5 spread.

Go Zips!!!!

LGZ94 partially beat me to the post as I was typing.  

Edited by bigjim
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cliff said:

Game will be on CBS Sports network. Not sure why its scheduled for 1:00.

With it being rescheduled, they probably have other live events that are already airing later in the day. That's my guess as to why it's at 1 pm on a Friday. Plus the conference championship game and not wanting to conflict with that.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Cliff said:

Game will be on CBS Sports network. Not sure why its scheduled for 1:00.

My guess (and it is speculation) is that the MAC wants to get the game over with ASAP in the event that Buffalo wins and becomes bowl eligible.  Bowl games participants have started to be named, and the MAC wants to ensure that Buffalo is not left behind if they become bowl eligible.  I believe that the MAC has affiliations with 6 bowls, and as of now, there are only 5 bowl eligible teams in the MAC.  A Buffalo win will get the number to 6.   

catdaddyp please comment if I am off base.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The MAC does a lot of things that don't make sense.

Maybe to you and me, but if you were an AD/Commissioner looking to move to a bigger school/conference and were willing to destroy your current employer to do so, the MAC is the perfect place for you.

• Thanks 1

Hello from Buffalo.....I guess its game on.  Really hoping Akron comes in and gives UB their best shot.  Make UB earn their bowl invite, because for the last three weeks, they havent been.  And Im hoping the MAC doesnt go and do MAC things with their officiating.

Anybody on here making the trip up????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

My guess (and it is speculation) is that the MAC wants to get the game over with ASAP in the event that Buffalo wins and becomes bowl eligible.  Bowl games participants have started to be named, and the MAC wants to ensure that Buffalo is not left behind if they become bowl eligible.  I believe that the MAC has affiliations with 6 bowls, and as of now, there are only 5 bowl eligible teams in the MAC.  A Buffalo win will get the number to 6.   

catdaddyp please comment if I am off base.  

Sounds right to me.

This article does a nice job of breaking down the bowl tie-ins.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/07/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-for-each-conference-2022-2023/7

• Like 1

19 hours ago, indians4841ks said:

Welp, I was wrong and now it makes no sense to me that the game is at 1 pm on Friday.

IMHO, play it in the "warm" "sunlight" but not on Saturday with all the conference champ. games going on. Zips get back home at a decent hour. It's not going to draw a large crowd or TV audience regardless.