Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

I’m not big on making score predictions, but I certainly would take the Zips to cover. They opened as 13.5pt dogs, and it’s shot down to 11 a lot of places. There’s a ton riding on this game for both programs. Buffalo was the MAC’s golden child at the mid-point of the year, starting league play 4-0 before losing at Ohio by 21 (wasn’t even that close, really), blowing a big lead at CMU, and blowing (another) lead to Kent last week. They of course need this one to go bowling. 

The Zips, on the other hand, can smell blood in the water after finally getting a taste of victory after close losses to Liberty, BG, CMU, Kent, and EMU earlier in the year. And they did it in dominating fashion, against a team they should have beaten. 

Cole Snyder isn’t going to blow anyone away as a QB. The Buffalo run game is what will make this one a real challenge for the Zips. It’s always good, it was under Leipold, it remains under Linguist. Defensively, the Bulls are pretty decent as well, and have come up with some timely turnovers in their wins. 

This should be a really fun game, with the focus of the college football world as multiple programs’ bowl hopes hinge on what the Bulls do tomorrow. Let’s show them that it’s a new era of UA football! Go Zips!

Play to win, BUT lets see a lot of people get in on the action.  Kellom may need to add some beef; so lets toss him a couple out of the backfield to give him a chance to do something in the open.  Find a spot to get guys on the field.  Use this game to get everyone motivated to put in the work during the off season.  

On 11/30/2022 at 4:50 AM, bigjim said:

My guess (and it is speculation) is that the MAC wants to get the game over with ASAP in the event that Buffalo wins and becomes bowl eligible.  Bowl games participants have started to be named, and the MAC wants to ensure that Buffalo is not left behind if they become bowl eligible.  I believe that the MAC has affiliations with 6 bowls, and as of now, there are only 5 bowl eligible teams in the MAC.  A Buffalo win will get the number to 6.   

catdaddyp please comment if I am off base.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/espn-reportedly-makes-unfortunate-bowl-game-decision/ar-AA14N3y5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c7d21185674455cad9a460b0302262e

One bowl game has been cut, and there are 40 games scheduled.  But, there are 79 teams that have qualified and 80 are needed for 40 games.  Buffalo would be the 80th team if they win over Akron or some other provisions would need to be made.  

Bigjim's prediction is that Buffalo will unfortunately win, but with Akron covering the spread which is currently Buff -11.0.  I think that the Bulls will be motivated to get in a bowl game, and as was stated above, the Zips will play some redshirting freshman which may hurt this game's effort but help in the future.  I hope I am wrong, and the Zips dominate like they did at NIU.  T minus 7 hours and counting.

Go Zips!!!

Happy Season Finale day! I cannot say enough how much I’ve enjoyed watching this team play. As frustrating as the results have been most weeks, they’ve looked like a real football team in every single game and I am once again proud to be an Akron Zip. The future has never been brighter! BEAT BUFFALO!!!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I think that the Bulls will be motivated to get in a bowl game

I dont know......after what Ive seen the last three weeks from UB, Im questioning if theyre even motivated to do anything, other than to get their names into the Transfer Portal.

Also, Im 100% positive that the MAC is more motivated to have UB win (to fill the bowl slot) than UB is.  Hence this game even being played. 

New Mexico State received a waiver to become bowl eligible with 5 wins since they had a game cancelled earlier this year. They are playing Valparaiso as a replacement game, but the outcome does not matter. If Buffalo wins they will be bowl eligible. If Buffalo loses, UNLV gets in as the next 5 win team. Comical as they just fired their coach.

2 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

New Mexico State received a waiver to become bowl eligible with 5 wins since they had a game cancelled earlier this year. They are playing Valparaiso as a replacement game, but the outcome does not matter. If Buffalo wins they will be bowl eligible. If Buffalo loses, UNLV gets in as the next 5 win team. Comical as they just fired their coach.

Do you know why it's UNLV that gets in as the next 5 win team?

The bowl game motivation is an interesting one. I can't see a P5 school being very motivated to make a bowl game with an extra week. 6-6 at a P5 school can mean the coaching staff is already fired and going through the motions in order to go through the motions for a couple of more weeks for a bowl game does not seem very motivating.  On the other hand, G5 schools making a bowl is a bigger deal and a 6-6 season (typically) does not leave coaches looking for another job. I anticipate Buffalo being well prepared and motivated for the game. I think the Zips will be well motivated and prepared as well. Buffalo is just the better team and will win.

Edited by GP1

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Do you know why it's UNLV that gets in as the next 5 win team?

I believe it goes by Academic Progress Rate, but I’m not sure what all goes into that formula. My understanding is that 3 bowl games were still open. NMSU was granted one. Rice has the top Academic Progress rate of the 5 win teams so they also get one. Now it’s down to either Buffalo with a win or UNLV with a Buffalo loss. Assuming all the eligible teams actually accept the bowl invites. If not, then more 5 win teams will be extended invitations.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I believe it goes by Academic Progress Rate, but I’m not sure what all goes into that formula. My understanding is that 3 bowl games were still open. NMSU was granted one. Rice has the top Academic Progress rate of the 5 win teams so they also get one. Now it’s down to either Buffalo with a win or UNLV with a Buffalo loss. Assuming all the eligible teams actually accept the bowl invites. If not, then more 5 win teams will be extended invitations.

Yes, it goes off of APR. I'm not surprised to see Rice #1, but I would have never have guessed UNLV would have placed ahead of Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, it goes off of APR. I'm not surprised to see Rice #1, but I would have never have guessed UNLV would have placed ahead of Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt

I’m not sure what all goes into it outside of academic eligibility. I feel Vandy is the most deserving of all the 5 win teams regardless of APR.

10 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I’m not sure what all goes into it outside of academic eligibility. I feel Vandy is the most deserving of all the 5 win teams regardless of APR.

Here is the complete rankings with an explanation of how it's calculated. It looks like Michigan State and Auburn are tied for 3rd among 5-7 teams so I assume if Buffalo loses, a bowl will have an option between either team.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/11/ncaa-academic-progress-rate-football-rankings-1-130

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Here is the complete rankings with an explanation of how it's calculated. It looks like Michigan State and Auburn are tied for 3rd among 5-7 teams so I assume if Buffalo loses, a bowl will have an option between either team.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/11/ncaa-academic-progress-rate-football-rankings-1-130

It should be named Blind Eye Academic Fraud Ratings.

Talk about a hilariously BS ranking system.

NCAA: "Professor John, how is (Ohio State or Bama Star Player Name) doing in class?"

Professor: "Never heard of him. Errmmm... He's great. The student that does his work... I mean he does his own work and does a terrific job."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

I'm certainly not complaining as we have another chance to play and win, but if NMSU could get the waiver, why wouldn't Buffalo get it? Seems the MAC is kind of screwing them as they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing the 12th game. 

1 minute ago, LZIp said:

I'm certainly not complaining as we have another chance to play and win, but if NMSU could get the waiver, why wouldn't Buffalo get it? Seems the MAC is kind of screwing them as they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing the 12th game. 

If I’m not mistaken, NMSU was able to prove they did everything in their power to make the game up against SDSU and were denied. They even went as far as scheduling a 12th game against Valparaiso as a replacement. But since only 1 FCS game can count towards bowl eligibility, the game against Valparaiso is nothing more than a game counting towards overall stats and final record. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It should be named Blind Eye Academic Fraud Ratings.

Talk about a hilariously BS ranking system.

NCAA: "Professor John, how is (Ohio State or Bama Star Player Name) doing in class?"

Professor: "Never heard of him. Errmmm... He's great. The student that does his work... I mean he does his own work and does a terrific job."

Ole Miss is tied for #1 and Alabama is #2. Riiiiiiiiiiight 👌

😂😂

• Haha 1