Game 12 - Buffalo

LZIp

15 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

No doubt the raw numbers look better. But, teams didn't have to throw the ball last season, they just ran over the defense.

As I said earlier, the entire team played better the last 2 games. This season the secondary was quite porous for most of the season to say the least. A number of big plays through the air. The pass rush improved somewhat. And, with the much improved offense scoring more points teams sometimes needed to throw more and could.

Just sayin', if you can find a better option be it with players or coaches go for it. Its not rocket science to realize this team needs help on defense at a number of positions. Coach Moorehead was able to bring in some quality transfers on offense this year. Hope he can do the same next year.

I’d say pass defense deficiencies were mostly at the CB spot and lack of consistent pass rush. Safety play was by no means perfect, but they become a strength of the defense. The staff hasn’t made it a secret about the biggest needs on defense with the amount of scholarships that have gone out to defensive backs. 

I agree it’s always good to look for upgrades on staff, but for the most part, positional coaches at Akron will likely be young(ish) up and coming guys under Moorhead. I think we have a strong staff in place that needs a chance to show their ability with upgraded talent. We saw the development take place over the course of the season, now we need more talented depth.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:28 PM, zipsrule said:

Defense touchdown!

This was a horrible call.  Should not have been ruled a Safety.  It was a TD by Grant Gainer or worse case it is Zips ball on half yardline.

The punter never regained control of the ball.  That was the first of many "Get Buffalo to a Bowl Game" calls ordered by the MAC.  

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35165341

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 6:44 PM, Akron1 said:

This was a horrible call.  Should not have been ruled a Safety.  It was a TD by Grant Gainer or worse case it is Zips ball on half yardline.

The punter never regained control of the ball.  That was the first of many "Get Buffalo to a Bowl Game" calls ordered by the MAC.  

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35165341

If you watched Zips Weekly, Coach JoeMo agreed with this call, but not others.  

• 3 weeks later...

Buffalo beats Georgia Southern in another very good G5 game. 

I don't put a lot of stock in bowl games, but G5 schools are playing hard.

The MAC is representing itself well. The league is not a laughing stock and if they could stop pimping out their football programs for cash, they can turn the league into something really good with other G5 conferences. Can they though?