Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

Clark, Tribble and Hunter are a combined 2 for 28 from the 3 ball line.  Hankerson is 5 for 19 so he is the best of the worse.  I know it is very early in the season but I think everyone would agree that Hunter has been a major disappointment thus far.  I am looking forward to the tournament but if our 3 point shooting does not improve we are going to have a tough time winning games against good competition.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Clark, Tribble and Hunter are a combined 2 for 28 from the 3 ball line.  Hankerson is 5 for 19 so he is the best of the worse.  I know it is very early in the season but I think everyone would agree that Hunter has been a major disappointment thus far.  I am looking forward to the tournament but if our 3 point shooting does not improve we are going to have a tough time winning games against good competition.

Hunter seems to have a good shot and take good shots. I don't think he'll turn out like Maishe Dailey, Hunter has the ability to go inside as we saw last game. He just needs to get his confidence and he should be a really good player

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

how about we give them 30 minutes or so

Zips open at +3 against the Hilltoppers. This could be a very interesting week for Akron, and I don’t exactly have the highest hopes. There are far too many question marks with the rotation right now for me to feel good about coming out in the top half of this tournament. I was hoping this group was further along, but after the last two, I just don’t see it yet. Which is okay!

After SDSU, I got myself a little too high, as that was one of the better games I’ve ever seen a Groce team play in the nonconference, let alone on opening night. They quickly came back down to earth. Fortunately, we’ve got a slate of great, but beatable opponents where we can see where we are and also get better at the same time. Perhaps Sammy Hunter needs a trip to that part of the world (still pretty far from home) to get the jumper going. It is indeed broke, but his body language hasn’t seemed to suffer…yet. Trimble was awful with that, and Dailey just looked so defeated and seemed to not enjoy playing basketball anymore. Also, Groce said on Zips Live Thursday that he’s been impressed with Nate Johnson so far, but has really been hoping to get more out of Tavari, Lyles, and Kobe Mitchell. I am looking forward to seeing how those guys get involved as January creeps up. 

Go Zips!!!

• Like 2

I might be making it a bigger deal than it is, but this gym where the tournament is being held is tiny. Different from last years Florida trip where they played in a larger hockey arena, the depth perception should be a help for the Zips when it comes to 3 point shooting. Time to let it fly! 
Bold game 1 prediction: Greg Tribble knocks down his first triple of the year 🤯

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

I might be making it a bigger deal than it is, but this gym where the tournament is being held is tiny. Different from last years Florida trip where they played in a larger hockey arena, the depth perception should be a help for the Zips when it comes to 3 point shooting. Time to let it fly! 
Bold game 1 prediction: Greg Tribble knocks down his first triple of the year 🤯

The games are played in a highschool gym.

23 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I thought they would have a free trial or something. But $30 per month? Yeah no thanks.

I remember last time in the Caymans it was a free, very high quality steam on Stadium. The FloSports production of the Florida disaster last year was horrible. By far the worst TV talent I’ve ever heard, and that includes some reeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy bad BGSU and Kent student productions. 

43 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I remember last time in the Caymans it was a free, very high quality steam on Stadium. The FloSports production of the Florida disaster last year was horrible. By far the worst TV talent I’ve ever heard, and that includes some reeeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy bad BGSU and Kent student productions. 

Not having a free trial and in the age of streaming is crazy to me. Even if it was just one day trial, just so people can test out a service. They probably realize that it's so bad everyone would most likely cancel right away. On top of that most sports related subscriptions are $5-15. I can watch the Cavs all month for half the price it costs to watch the Zips play 3 games? Because that makes sense. 

• Like 1

I'm having an uneasy feeling about the next three days.  I think the team's depth issues will resolve over time with guys like Tavari and Lyles getting more on floor experience but they are not there yet.  I think that along with the depth issues that their lack of size may bite them over the next three days as it did against Mississippi State.  I don't believe you need dominant big men but you need more than two against teams like these. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm having an uneasy feeling about the next three days.  I think the team's depth issues will resolve over time with guys like Tavari and Lyles getting more on floor experience but they are not there yet.  I think that along with the depth issues that their lack of size may bite them over the next three days as it did against Mississippi State.  I don't believe you need dominant big men but you need more than two against teams like these. 

And if you don’t have dominate big men, you gotta be able to hit the 3 to make up for it, which we haven’t shown we can do this season (yet).

Enrique was the MAC DPOY last year and is also a force on offense as well. I hope he makes us remember that down in the Caymans. Cant control much on offense on the scoring side if they are doubling down on him and the rest of the team isn’t hitting their shots when he kicks it out , but I see nothing stopping him on the defensive side..just gotta stay out of foul trouble. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Hip Zip said:

Watching the first game and the broadcast quality is solid. LSU is so athletically dominant early on that this could be a 30 point win

I just watched a few minutes of the first game and it is weird because they are obviously playing in a high school gym.  There is still 8 minutes left so I don't see our game starting till 1:30

Just now, 1981 grad said:

I just watched a few minutes of the first game and it is weird because they are obviously playing in a high school gym.  There is still 8 minutes left so I don't see our game starting till 1:30

Our game isn't supposed to start until 1:30 anyways. 

Anybody know if FloSports offers a New Big East Member discount? 😉

• Like 1