Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

Just now, LZIp said:

1-2 in the tournament against 3 pretty good teams, and competed well in all of them. 

More importantly, I think we have our next star and have him for 4 more years (hopefully).

no silver lining for me BUT these are the games the Zips would have on a weekly basis if they weren't in the MAC.

• Haha 1

We were up 7 when Tavari pushed the ball up to Hankerson and he slipped and called for a walk.  We gave it up after that travel.  Hankerson missed a layup, Freeman had a turnover 60 feet from the basket, and Tribble missed an open J.  Not only did Tavari shoot the ball well, he had some great passes to Freeman.  He is a player.  I believe we are looking at a really good team if Tavari can play this well during the season. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Anybody catch Groce's comments after the game?

He said he was disappointed for his guys, thought they outplayed Nevada but at the end “Hankerson didn’t mean to miss the layup, Enrique didn’t mean to drop that pass, Tavari didn’t mean to step out of bounds.” He mentioned that this was a great learning experience. Mentioned that Tavari has improved on both sides of the ball since SDSU, Amani is getting better and still has some work to do along with Nate. Overall he seemed pleased with their play just disappointed in the result

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Anybody catch Groce's comments after the game?

Said he hurts for the guys. Some really costly, small mistakes once they had the lead at the U4 TO. Loved what he got from Tavari (duh). Correctly stated they outplayed Nevada, gave them props for hitting some really tough shots. 

I am disappointed not to get the win because they did play well enough, it’s just a make or miss game. Hankerson wide open layup, numerous open 3s, X mid rangers not even close. Tough shooting week for sure. But stellar defense. My back-breaking play of the day was the big 3 that NV hit after the Zips ran a beautiful full-court trap. Then a couple crazy ones in the dying moments. Props to them for making the plays. The Zips flat out pee’d down their leg. No two ways about it. BUT! They finished in the top half of a great field, and played pretty well all week. If you bank on Hunter and Hankerson shooting 30%+ on the year, you have to feel good about the offense. 

Doesn’t get any easier next week with Marshall. Zips could be looking at a 3-4 record here before long. They’re further along than last year at this point, but I truly see more potential here. PS: Dawson is missed greatly. Could you imagine an opponent facing a lineup with he and Nate Johnson at the same time? Would be sweet. Go Zips!

• Thanks 1

Sammy Hunter has had a brutal start to his Zip career.  He is third on the team with shots attempted but is shooting 26% from the field and 15% from 3 point land.  Both Tribble and Clarke have also struggled from 3 point land but have not taken nearly as many shots.  It is still early and I remember other Akron players who struggled with their shooting early and came on as the season progressed.  I hope it is the same with Sammy.  The only thing that bothers me is that he has only attempted 4 foul shots all year.  That indicates he is a perimeter player not taking the ball to the hoop.  I remember his one dunk but he needs to take the ball inside more with his size.  It will be interesting to see if anyone else can capture his minutes if he continues to struggle.

Edited by 1981 grad

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Sammy Hunter has had a brutal start to his Zip career.  He is third on the team with shots attempted but is shooting 26% from the field and 15% from 3 point land.  Both Tribble and Clarke have also struggled from 3 point land but have not taken nearly as many shots.  It is still early and I remember other Akron players who struggled with their shooting early and came on as the season progressed.  I hope it is the same with Sammy.  The only thing that bothers me is that he has only attempted 4 foul shots all year.  That indicates he is a perimeter player not taking the ball to the hoop.  I remember his one dunk but he needs to take the ball inside more with his size.  It will be interesting to see if anyone else can capture his minutes if he continues to struggle.

Hunter's 5 for 32 from 3 pt and 8 for 18 on 2 pt. Perhaps he needs to take his 6'9" frame inside a bit more and get a few rebounds, too.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

Thankful today for Tavari Johnson.

tenor-168817842.gif.79d43df80096c3148867ba688bf06d29.gif

Still can't get over last night's Tavari Revelation.  Simply amazing.  He was cool, calm, collected, and confident.  Best player on the floor!  I can't expect him to play like that every night but it looks like we've got our #2 PG.

I still think Sammy will come around.  For some reason he's taking his 3-point shot from about 2&1/2 feet behind the line.  Take another step up, Sammy, and don't be rushing your shot quite so much.  If the defender comes up on you, then drive past him.  You've got that kind of ability.  Put it in the defender's head that you can and will drive the ball & it'll give you another 6-inches of space.

tenor-168817842.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

I will admit that X played the point better last year than I had originally given him credit for and he will have the ball in his hands plenty this year too. But this system is designed for a point guard who can break down a defense at will like Tavari. Not only will he be a weapon in his own right like LCJ, but he will make everyone else better. Double-teaming Freeman will become a thing of the past and the other guards will have more room to operate. I didn't get to see the games in the Caymans, but 21 points is awesome to see. Go Zips!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2