Zips Mens Soccer to join the Big East

4 minutes ago, Steve1982 said:

It seems the place to start is: Are there any other sports the Zips have that the Big East sponsors that the MAC doesn't?

BIG EAST Sports

315475877_1524324398076110_2570562053193

MAC Sports

315530696_642250857350695_15688490545797

Going through the schools in each sport, it's pretty amazing how many non-full member schools are "MAC" schools in only one or two sports. 

1 hour ago, Steve1982 said:

It seems the place to start is: Are there any other sports the Zips have that the Big East sponsors that the MAC doesn't?

It was mentioned by someone (just checked and it was zippy-claws) in the "MAC suspending soccer" topic, that track & field might be next and the Big East would be a perfect fit for that program as well. 

Edited by mes102

20 hours ago, mes102 said:

It was mentioned by someone (just checked and it was zippy-claws) in the "MAC suspending soccer" topic, that track & field might be next and the Big East would be a perfect fit for that program as well. 

Does anyone know if there is a cost associated with being an affiliate? I'm wondering because I believe MAC wrestling and men's swimming and diving have more affiliates than core MAC schools. Not sure why the MAC would use resources in this situation unless money is involved ( or promises were made years ago).

Would have loved to have seen Akron Soccer in the Sun Belt. But glad Akron has found a stable home for men's soccer. This will all but kill the MAC as a men's soccer conference. Wonder were Bowling Green, Western Michigan and NIU land.

I would assume they all go together to the MVC or Summit League

MVC

Belmont

Bradley

Drake

Evensville

UCI

Missouri State

Summit

Denver

UMKC

Omaha

Oral Roberts

St Thomas

Western Illinois

The MVC seems like the slightly stronger conference and more travel friendly.

55 minutes ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Would have loved to have seen Akron Soccer in the Sun Belt. But glad Akron has found a stable home for men's soccer. This will all but kill the MAC as a men's soccer conference. Wonder were Bowling Green, Western Michigan and NIU land.

MVC

Belmont

Bradley

Drake

Evensville

UCI

Missouri State

Summit

Denver

UMKC

Omaha

Oral Roberts

St Thomas

Western Illinois

The MVC seems like the slightly stronger conference and more travel friendly.

All three went to the MVC, announced sometime last week.

20 hours ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Check out this other thread if you haven't already ... 

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Check out this other thread if you haven't already ... 

I hate to see any conference lose a sponsored sport, it means one less autobid for what is usually the little guy. But once SIU-E went back to the MVC and WVU left for CUSA and now the Sun Belt the handwriting  was on the wall. There wasn't but one program that didn't have a home (Chicago State) and no other program was going to leave a stable conference without assurances of MAC soccer not collapsing and that couldn't be said.

The move for Akron though is a major upgrade in conference. I think for the foreseeable future the Big East and Sun Belt will fight for the 2nd best DI conference in the nation and will challenge the ACC on some years as the best conference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TennZip said:

Big Green, congratulations on Marshall knocking off Virginia.

I will be rooting for your team against Indiana .

I rooted for Akron against Pitt. And think that the 1st penalty kick was complete BS. Akron's goalie got to the ball and secured it while the Pitt player kicked at the ball while falling over the goalie. It was a bang bang play but it should have been play on and an Akron free kick. It was nice seeing one of the better soccer programs back in the NCAAs though.

I know it cliche to say but this team could be better than our national championship team. We have a freshman phenom in striker Matthew Bell (10 goals, 8 assts) who we will probably lose after this season if he his drafted high enough in the MLS draft. More than one MLS teams were sniffing around him before he signed with Marshall. We also return strikers Milo Yosef, Alexander Adjetey, MFs Joao Souza, Vinicius Fernandes, defenders Gabriel Alves, Collin Mocyunas and GK Oliver Semmle from the national championship team. And in my opinion one of the best, if not the best HC in the nation in Chris Grassie.

We did lose our top assistant coach Petsa Ivanovic to Barry University (DII), he took their HC job back in April and has them on the cusp of the college cup semis. They play Rollans College on Sat to go to the college cup.

• Like 4