Pitt at #16 Akron - 2022 NCAA Tourney Round 2

Failure of culture?  Not sure what that means.  The best two offensive players we have are suspended.  One of the others that has been forgotten had his ankle broken vs Michigan State.  Was it silly to get a red card of course but failure of culture?   The ref was horrible today - is that why we lost probably not but it didn’t help for sure.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Failure of culture?  Not sure what that means.  The best two offensive players we have are suspended.  One of the others that has been forgotten had his ankle broken vs Michigan State.  Was it silly to get a red card of course but failure of culture?   The ref was horrible today - is that why we lost probably not but it didn’t help for sure.  

Call it whatever you want. The way the staff behaved last week, and all season, trickled down to the athletes and we saw it explode in our faces with a home 3-0 embarrassment. 

• Like 3

Sometimes it’s difficult to recover mentality after such a p poor call early in the game. I’d say the NCAA should look into suspending that ref for that call (basically not understanding the game), but apparently they have a shortage of knowledgeable referees. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Please explain how you determined 

failure of culture 

Ive explained it since the previous loss, which included embarrassing behavior by all leaders of the program. I don’t really care about bad officiating. When tasked with leading a championship caliber program, I expect far more from the people at the top then to sink to the level they have the last couple of weeks. Flat out embarrassing for Akron soccer. Scream like children at the referee, each assistant at the same time, and you get what you get. Sorry if this is offensive. 3-0 home loss in the round of 32 is pretty offensive too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

It is crazy to think about how it could’ve been different with Chong out there this season. It seemed like late in the year we relied too much on the same old Malik and Dyson crosses and try and slide one past the GK. Those first few games saw a balanced offense that could play through the middle

☝️Abso-freakin THIS ☝️

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ive explained it since the previous loss, which included embarrassing behavior by all leaders of the program. I don’t really care about bad officiating. When tasked with leading a championship caliber program, I expect far more from the people at the top then to sink to the level they have the last couple of weeks. Flat out embarrassing for Akron soccer. Scream like children at the referee, each assistant at the same time, and you get what you get. Sorry if this is offensive. 3-0 home loss in the round of 32 is pretty offensive too. 

Pretty harsh, but true.  The last two weeks have been difficult to watch.  The first pk call was a terrible call.  However, you can't rely on the same people that you berate from the sidelines.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Actually you are far more of an embarrassing “fan” as anyone or anything in the high caliber program we get to watch. Have you said a good word about the team all season? 

The fact you don’t care about the bad officiating says it all about you. You don’t care. You come on here looking to antagonize people. 

Have you ever spoken with Jared about his so called bad behavior? Or coach Coppinger or Nanchoff? I bet you would not have the stones to call them out in person. You are that kind of “fan” who hides, yet still shows up to each game. Pathetic. 

Today is a hard day to be a zip, but we have a young team and this team is ready to win in the future. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Actually you are far more of an embarrassing “fan” as anyone or anything in the high caliber program we get to watch. Have you said a good word about the team all season? 

The fact you don’t care about the bad officiating says it all about you. You don’t care. You come on here looking to antagonize people. 

Have you ever spoken with Jared about his so called bad behavior? Or coach Coppinger or Nanchoff? I bet you would not have the stones to call them out in person. You are that kind of “fan” who hides, yet still shows up to each game. Pathetic. 

Today is a hard day to be a zip, but we have a young team and this team is ready to win in the future. 

Sensitive much? I have higher standards than what I’ve seen from that sideline the past two weeks. I rode the wave of the season and had very high hopes going into last Saturday. But you’re right, I’m not a good fan. My season ticket $ isn’t worth as much to the program as yours. 

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Sensitive much? I have higher standards than what I’ve seen from that sideline the past two weeks. I rode the wave of the season and had very high hopes going into last Saturday. But you’re right, I’m not a good fan. My season ticket $ isn’t worth as much to the program as yours. 

Again, I ask, you ever brought it up to the staff about your high standards and what you expect? I bet not. 

I will keep searching for a positive post from you on any issue. 

19 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

It is crazy to think about how it could’ve been different with Chong out there this season. It seemed like late in the year we relied too much on the same old Malik and Dyson crosses and try and slide one past the GK. Those first few games saw a balanced offense that could play through the middle

Continued Good recovery wishes for Gyuwon Chong.    The young man did show an excellent ability to hold on to the ball in the midfield and make good passes into the box.

I agree that the zips depended too much on crosses from the wings.  However, I also feel that the zips did not have enough players in the box when the crosses were made.   Everyone in the stadium would know that Malik was going to make a cross into the box and yet, Shooky or King would be the only zip in the box.    

That being said, Terence Okoeguale and Ashton Kamdem worked well together today on give and go's.     I think that Terence Okoeguale is going to have a big year for the zips in his 2nd year.     This team only loses Ryan Kingsford and Renato Kauzlaric.

Ryan Kingsford broke his foot late in the summer.   Most zips fans do not appreciate how Kingsford battled all year while not 100% healthy.  Thank you, Ryan Kingsford for being a warrior all year.

The future is very bright.  They currently have the 3rd or 4th highest recruiting class for next year.  Athletic director Guthrie indicated that the change to the Big East might generate a few more recruits.   Caleb Borneo currently is the highest rated midfielder (by Top Drawer soccer) that has committed to a college next year.

Mitchell Budler had a very good year first year as the goal keeper.   Mitch is only going to get better.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Again, I ask, you ever brought it up to the staff about your high standards and what you expect? I bet not. 

I will keep searching for a positive post from you on any issue. 

You know, I don’t think the staff is aware of the high standards. You make a fine point. I’ll have to let them know at my next meeting with them. Thanks!

Assistant Coaches getting cards for dissent I can live with a little bit. It can be argued that it is the AC's job to get the occasional card, from a strategic perspective.

But it becomes a HUGE problem when players start following the coaches' examples and dissent every call.  Coaches and players do not have the same role.

WAY too much mouth from our players!  And that shite got to stop right NOW!  No card on the field is a good card unless it is earned in a tackle.  Malik Henry clubbing the ball across the field after the play?  Unacceptable.  Not to mention Dumb.  We have seen way too much of this lack of discipline recently.

Coaches had best come correct on this.  Bench mouths off to referee?  OK.  Fine.  Players on field should not complain to ref.  Let the bench do that.

I expect this to change come Spring.  And yes, the entire coaching staff will know my expectations.

• Like 7

Special shoutout to Ryan Kingsford!

Thanks for choosing to attend University of Akron. You are a class act, Mr. Kingsford.  Too bad you are out of eligibility.  We hope your foot heals well.  Please come back to visit us.  Once a Zip; always a Zip.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Talent wise, yes. They need to become stronger mentally, though. The officiating was awful, but after the 1st PK (like I said, one of the worst calls in the history of sport), nothing changed in our intensity. 

13 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Assistant Coaches getting cards for dissent I can live with a little bit. It can be argued that it is the AC's job to get the occasional card, from a strategic perspective.

But it becomes a HUGE problem when players start following the coaches' examples and dissent every call.  Coaches and players do not have the same role.

WAY too much mouth from our players!  And that shite got to stop right NOW!  No card on the field is a good card unless it is earned in a tackle.  Malik Henry clubbing the ball across the field after the play?  Unacceptable.  Not to mention Dumb.  We have seen way too much of this lack of discipline recently.

Coaches had best come correct on this.  Bench mouths off to referee?  OK.  Fine.  Players on field should not complain to ref.  Let the bench do that.

I expect this to change come Spring.  And yes, the entire coaching staff will know my expectations.

Spot on analysis.

I am in the middle here. I LOVE the passion that the coaching staff has, but I truly think it creates a dissent towards our programs from the refs. Was overhearing conversations from knowledgeable fans saying how refs truly hate having to deal with the constant moaning from our coaches and players. We need to be a tad tougher. Good season, embarrassing ending.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

I am in the middle here. I LOVE the passion that the coaching staff has, but I truly think it creates a dissent towards our programs from the refs. Was overhearing conversations from knowledgeable fans saying how refs truly hate having to deal with the constant moaning from our coaches and players. We need to be a tad tougher. Good season, embarrassing ending.

Simple solution for the refs: be better.

This happens in every sport. Working the refs is gamesmanship. If the ref(s) can't handle it, don't officiate. 

38 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Simple solution for the refs: be better.

This happens in every sport. Working the refs is gamesmanship. If the ref(s) can't handle it, don't officiate. 

Agreed.  However, constant whining, throwing up of hands after every tackle, and engaging the refs after the final whistle is not gamesmanship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The way the game was officiated really determined some of the frustration. The games against WMU, the ref let WMU be so extremely physical and Akron would get frustrated and Akron would be called for the foul.  The ref really determines how the match is played.  That being said, Embick never used to lose control like he has a few times this season.  I understand a level of frustration but sometimes it doesn’t help to keep yelling at the officials (not that I don’t want to).  I remember the Buffalo coach who would yell and scream….not good.  I respect Embick and I understand the frustration - 2023 is the year…

https://pittsburghsoccernow.com/2022/11/20/pitt-dominates-akron-3-0-to-return-to-the-sweet-16/

...The Panthers also played a disciplined performance against the Zips, who continuously lost their cool and earned a number of yellow cards. An assistant coach and Zips head coach Jared Embick earned a red card as well after the game. 10 Zips players also received yellow cards throughout the match.

Noel said that the Panthers prepared well for the match and played in control, whereas Akron played in the complete opposite manner.

“As soon as the ref blows the whistle, it’s just a matter of getting back behind the ball and just stick to the next action,” Noel said. “Just be ready for the next one. I really felt like our group was ready and controlled the game compared to Akron, who were more aggressive and more stressed and making a lot of fouls. We just tried to stay calm and resilient and it worked out.”...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

https://pittsburghsoccernow.com/2022/11/20/pitt-dominates-akron-3-0-to-return-to-the-sweet-16/

...The Panthers also played a disciplined performance against the Zips, who continuously lost their cool and earned a number of yellow cards. An assistant coach and Zips head coach Jared Embick earned a red card as well after the game. 10 Zips players also received yellow cards throughout the match.

Noel said that the Panthers prepared well for the match and played in control, whereas Akron played in the complete opposite manner.

“As soon as the ref blows the whistle, it’s just a matter of getting back behind the ball and just stick to the next action,” Noel said. “Just be ready for the next one. I really felt like our group was ready and controlled the game compared to Akron, who were more aggressive and more stressed and making a lot of fouls. We just tried to stay calm and resilient and it worked out.”...

Easy, Noel. 

One team was gifted a goal to start the match. Not saying Akron shouldn't have been more disciplined and mentally tough, but claiming emotional superiority on the back of that officiating is pretty empty.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

You know, I don’t think the staff is aware of the high standards. You make a fine point. I’ll have to let them know at my next meeting with them. Thanks!

Embick - 3 college cups as head coach, 2 as an assistant and part of the staff in 2010 to lift the crown. 

Coppinger - 3 college cups 

Nanchoff - 2 as a player for the zips, winning in 2010. 

Who’s talking high standards here? You are an imbecile.