Game 12 (11) - NIU

bigjim

I don't see Akron winning. I mean, its a toss up with these two teams, but with the Zips traveling right after the holiday and have absolutely nothing to play for, I just see them likely wanting to get this game over with and focus on what SHOULD hopefully be a bright season next fall. 

I'd prefer if they had Jennings play. See what he can do, give him game action, and preserve the health of Irons going into offseason. 

If Zips win, cool. If they lose, oh well at this point.  I'll watch because I love the Zips, but I don't expect a win. 

1 minute ago, GoZips86 said:

I don't see Akron winning. I mean, its a toss up with these two teams, but with the Zips traveling right after the holiday and have absolutely nothing to play for, I just see them likely wanting to get this game over with and focus on what SHOULD hopefully be a bright season next fall. 

I'd prefer if they had Jennings play. See what he can do, give him game action, and preserve the health of Irons going into offseason. 

If Zips win, cool. If they lose, oh well at this point.  I'll watch because I love the Zips, but I don't expect a win. 

My 2 cents - Akron is playing for some sort of momentum to go into the offseason. Another angle the staff may or may not be looking at is getting younger players experience and seeing what the have in them, though I believe the focus should be on winning.

On the other hand, NIU had an incredibly disappointing season and is probably ready to get it over with. I’m also kind of wishy washy on the Zips playing Buffalo. I want to see them play for my own benefit, but maybe it’s best just to get the season over with and concentrate on recruiting. The game is being played though, so it’s a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

My 2 cents - Akron is playing for some sort of momentum to go into the offseason. Another angle the staff may or may not be looking at is getting younger players experience and seeing what the have in them, though I believe the focus should be on winning.

On the other hand, NIU had an incredibly disappointing season and is probably ready to get it over with. I’m also kind of wishy washy on the Zips playing Buffalo. I want to see them play for my own benefit, but maybe it’s best just to get the season over with and concentrate on recruiting. The game is being played though, so it’s a moot point.

Agreed. I actually think it’ll be harder for NIU and Buffalo to get up for these games. Akron has been trying to get over the hump all season long and a win or two would be a confidence booster going into the offseason. These games will give opportunities for younger players like Landers and McCoy to gain more experience, which is invaluable. 

Strong showings could also give any recruits who are on the fence about committing a reminder what this program could be.

Agreed. The last thing the Zips program needs it to toss a bunch of guys who've been riding the pine all season into the final two games and get blown out. There's a reason those guys haven't played, and it's because they aren't yet ready to contribute.

If there is one lesson to be learned from this season, it's - The Zips need to learn how to win. A 1-1, or 2-0 finish to the season would be a huge building block for the 2023 Zips.

• Like 3

NIU was poised to be back in the MAC title game. In the preseason, they lost WR1 to injury. Then against Kentucky QB1 went down. A key piece to the rushing attack transferred out after last year. They did go on the road and dominate EMU, but I think they chose that game as the final time they would play to win in 2022, as they tossed out Rocky Lombardi and ran all over the Eagles. They’re now starting a QB that was average at best in high school, and they’ve shut down a lot of important players. The Zips’ biggest opponent this week is themselves. Rust from a couple weeks off could be a factor, but if they were ever going to get an FBS win this year, I like their chances here. I would take the 10 points. Hopefully Undercuffler comes ready and prepared. 

Edited by LoyalZIP

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Agreed. The last thing the Zips program needs it to toss a bunch of guys who've been riding the pine all season into the final two games and get blown out. There's a reason those guys haven't played, and it's because they aren't yet ready to contribute.

Finding ways to fail is part of the NE Ohio fan mentality. There is a game to be won this weekend. Akron should be doing everything it can to win this one game and not worry about games being played 10 months from now. With the transfer portal it's hard to tell how many Ben h warmers will be on the team next year. If they can't beat out a group of guys accustomed to winning one game a year, what's there to see?

I appreciate the enthusiasm in this thread, and I'm not saying I don't want them to win and such. But I don't think I'm that far off by saying I bet many on the roster feel depleted and just want the season over with. Additionally, I don't count Jennings as riding the pine @Captain Kangaroo. He had no reason to go in this year, but if it's a lost season now, and he's going to try to compete for the job next season, why not give him some live experience as an Akron Zip, which is not something he's had yet?

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer. I want them to win, but I also am mentioning the other side of the coin. 

16 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

But I don't think I'm that far off by saying I bet many on the roster feel depleted and just want the season over with. 

You're probably largely correct. Add this to the reasons a massive roster evaluation needs to take place. 

40 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

As an added bonus, the Buffalo makeup game is scheduled concurrently with the MACC game. Rain AND snow forecast yay.

Rubbing a little sand into their wounds. 

Meanwhile Akron has a lot to play for. I’m trying to count how many players have a spot on next year’s roster, it seems they all have a lot to play for.

55 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

By kickoff tomorrow it will be 17 full days that we’ve gone without watching them in the middle of the season. It’s going to feel kind of weird to watch. Hopefully time off worked in a positive way instead of causing a rust buildup. 

Plenty of time to get “healthy” and Undercuffler prepared.

9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

As an added bonus, the Buffalo makeup game is scheduled concurrently with the MACC game. Rain AND snow forecast yay.

My bad, we would play Friday the 2nd with the MACC on Saturday the 3rd. So we don't have to miss watching the kitties choke it away 🤣

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Any idea of the official diagnosis of injury? That hit did not look good on his shoulder.

Had surgery to repair a badly dislocated/separated shoulder. Tough break as he was trying to make the play, but it sure was ugly. I believe in DJ, but he should have a short leash next year if his issues aren’t resolved.