Game 7- Marshall

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Huntington, WV next Wednesday to face the 4-1 Thundering Herd.   Marshall opened with a loss to Queens and has since beaten Tennessee Tech, Miami, Chicago State and Coppin State.

The Herd was predicted to finish 6th in the Sun Belt Preseason Poll and placed 6'5" 5th year guard Taevion Kinsey on the preseason All-Conference first team.

The Marshall game is always a fun one as D'Antoni always has a fast paced offense that scores and gives up a lot of points.  The Zips topped them at the JAR last year, 88-86, with Kinsey scoring 30 and Trimble and Freeman combining for 47.

Marshall, granted against fairly weak competition, has yet to score less than 80 in any of their games. We're going to have to make shots if we want to win.

This is going to be a very much up and down the court game. One that I think we can get away playing more 4 guard lineups. I'm hoping to see Tavari build off his last game and show he's ready to be a consistent contributor. Hopefully between him and Hankerson we can get that 3rd and 4th scoring option to complement Freeman and X.

I hope that Tavari gets the start based on his play last game.  We could certainly use him if he plays anything like he did last Wed.  I am an optimist and think he will continue to play at that level.  We need him playing the point and X can be the 2 guard.  We need outside shooting and thus far Hunter and Tribble have been shooting blanks.  He also has shown the ability to penetrate and dish off to Freeman.  If he starts do you go small and put him in for Hunter or do you bring him in for Tribble and have Tribble off the bench?  Thoughts?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs down 1

I'd be surprised to see Tavari in the starting lineup. Before last game he was hardly even getting any minutes whatsoever. He very well might be the first guy off the bench. If he strings a few games together, he will eventually play himself into the starting lineup.

Edited by kreed5120

This should be Marshall's starting line up:

PG Andrew Taylor

SG Taevion Kinsey

SG Kamdyn Curfman

PF/C Micah Handlogten

PF Obinna Anochilli-Killen

Through 6 games both Taylor and Kinsey are avging over 20 points a game. Kurfman is a transfer from VMI and had 116 3 pointers last season, 2nd most in the NCAA. Handlogten is the smoothest freshman Ive seen since Jon Elmore and the smoothest big man Ive seen since JR Vanhoose (1998-02) in a Marshall  uniform. OAK is starting to come into his own now.

Off the bench:

G/F Jacob Connor

SF Wyatt Fricks

G/F Aymeric Toussaint

SG David Early

G/F Marko Sarenac

SG Kyle Braun

PF/C Goran Miladinovic

Marshall only went 8 deep against Morehead State. The only player you will not see is PF Chase McKey who had knee surgery right before the start of the season and will miss the 22-23 season.

The future of the team will center around two true freshman in Micah Handlogten and Jacob Conner and Redshirt freshman Wyatt Fricks. Fricks was hurt in the 2nd game last year and didn't play anymore. I really don't understand how Handlogten was so over looked, his only other DI offers was Youngstown State, American, Jacksonville and Presbyterian.

Marshall is avging 86.5 points per game through 6 games, the lowest out put has been 82. And is allowing 68.8 points per game.

Here is hoping for a good injury free game.

Edited by BigGreenTruck
  • Like 2

The Zips went to Huntington in the first championship year in 2019

and played a phenomenal game for 40 minutes. X had one of his better performances in his lone year as a Zip. Would love to see a similar breakout game for Sammy Hunter, but this one should be a dog fight between conflicting styles of play. Go Zips!

They just showed a commercial for Old Dominion freight lines on ESPN+. They used a bunch of different college mascots but of course only the power five and not Old Dominion University. 

I expect if Zips dry cleaners or these folks ever do national ads, we better have a tie in - or a lawsuit. 🤣

PXL_20221112_032216358.jpg