MAC- SBC Challenge and Future basketball scheduling

GJGood

Just looking for thoughts on the recent announcement of a Sun Belt-MAC home and away annual basketball challenge.

https://crescentcitysports.com/sun-belt-mid-american-conferences-introduce-mac-sbc-challenge/

Does anyone know if this takes the place of the algorithmic national scheduling proposal that was being discussed in the 22-23 thread? I like the idea of a MAC-SBC challenge but would have preferred a nationwide home and away opponent by algorithm. Anyone heard anything more about the national plan?

Speaking of future schedules, prior to the Caymans tournament I heard Coach Groce day next year’s schedule is shaping up to be even tougher than this year’s. That got me thinking could the Zips be headed to the Bahamas next year? Seems like that would be a great trip for the team given one of the players plays for the Bahamian National Team.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, GJGood said:

That got me thinking could the Zips be headed to the Bahamas next year? Seems like that would be a great trip for the team given one of the players plays for the Bahamian National Team.

Probably not going to the Bahamas for a holiday tourney in 2023.  A more likely location is the Thanksgiving Cancun tourney.  The 2022 event was hosted at the Hard Rock Riviera Mayan.

I just noticed this topic and I love the idea. There are a couple conferences we could do this with and should over time. 

Why not do something like this with football also? An early season weekend of MAC vs CUSA or SBC or whatever would draw interest. 

On 12/11/2022 at 9:55 AM, GP1 said:

I just noticed this topic and I love the idea. There are a couple conferences we could do this with and should over time. 

Why not do something like this with football also? An early season weekend of MAC vs CUSA or SBC or whatever would draw interest. 

I agree... my only hesitation on the basketball side is if they opted to do this instead of the national model that was being talked about in the past. I would rather have more of a national pool of opponents than just one conference but if this was done because the national idea fell through or in addition to the national plan then I am all for it.

In football I would like to see the MAC, CUSA, MWC, and Sun Belt conferences have challenges with each other on a rotation for one weekend. It would make the scheduling piece easier at least and still allow for money games and even a FCS opponent of one was needed in the other three non-conference games.

• Like 1

I actually like the idea of part of the non-conference schedule being national and determined by algorithm in both football and basketball. I wouldn’t want the entire non-conference slate done that way but 1-2 games in football and 3-5 in basketball wouldn’t be bad in my opinion.... Bracketbusters on steroids.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about non-conference scheduling.. 

It seems the Zips in the non-conference generally play their weakest competition at home and their toughest competition at neutral sites or on the road. While I doubt the Zips could wrangle big name schools into coming to the JAR, do you think there would be some value in playing an early true road game or two at opponents that are clearly in “lesser” situations? It seems to me that could initiate a culture of winning on the road and fostering more positive bonding/chemistry early on before the bulk of the season’s tougher road contests.

How would you feel if the Zips ever scheduled a true November road game against a program like Jackson State, Maine, Howard, or a second half of the Ivy League or Ohio Valley school? Do you think that could be beneficial?

Yes, It would be nice if in return they could get a bigger name to visit the JAR I know, I just don’t see that happening unless that whole computer algorithm scheduling thing becomes a reality.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, GJGood said:

Thinking about non-conference scheduling.. 

It seems the Zips in the non-conference generally play their weakest competition at home and their toughest competition at neutral sites or on the road. While I doubt the Zips could wrangle big name schools into coming to the JAR, do you think there would be some value in playing an early true road game or two at opponents that are clearly in “lesser” situations? It seems to me that could initiate a culture of winning on the road and fostering more positive bonding/chemistry early on before the bulk of the season’s tougher road contests.

How would you feel if the Zips ever scheduled a true November road game against a program like Jackson State, Maine, Howard, or a second half of the Ivy League or Ohio Valley school? Do you think that could be beneficial?

Yes, It would be nice if in return they could get a bigger name to visit the JAR I know, I just don’t see that happening unless that whole computer algorithm scheduling thing becomes a reality.

I've always found it a bit hypocritical that MAC fans bitch and moan about P6 schools not coming to their arena to play, but at the same time those same fans would never want to see their team go on the road to play an American East or SWAC school.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I've always found it a bit hypocritical that MAC fans bitch and moan about P6 schools not coming to their arena to play, but at the same time those same fans would never want to see their team go on the road to play an American East or SWAC school.

Exactly!

That was why I was so intrigued by that national algorithm “Bracketbusters on steroids” proposal that was being thrown about last spring or summer.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

My Magic 8 Ball says you will be unperturbed.

No one is saying road games should be played against Division II or Division III schools, only teams eligible for the same NCAA tournament that the Zips try to make each season