Game 8- Muskingum

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Free throw shooting: awful

Three-point shooting most of the game: awful

The last lineup on the floor: Mitchell, Lyles, Mayfield, Wilson…………Garvin Clarke

Onto Mo Williams and Jackson State. 

This is probably the worse FT shooting I've seen from a Zips team.  Kobe got the praise and the post-game interview.

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

How did he praise Kobe? I watched the game via ESPN+ &, even though we were playing a D-111 school, thought Kobe still looked tentative.

Paraphrasing, but said he got out there early because he's earned it. Must be practicing well. I agree he isn't sticking out a whole lot when he does get minutes, but he did shoot 2/3 from 3 today. A step forward hopefully.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, NWAkron said:

Wonder if Garvin will be here in March.

Why do you say that?  He has not played great thus far but last year he came on strong at the end of the season.  I think Tamari has earned some of his minutes but he has the capability to raise his game and compete to earn the minutes back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Why do you say that?  He has not played great thus far but last year he came on strong at the end of the season.  I think Tamari has earned some of his minutes but he has the capability to raise his game and compete to earn the minutes back.

I think Tavari's ascension up the depth chart pushes Garvin down the depth chart.  We'll see how he responds.  I think we all hope he responds in a way that earns back the minutes but today's athletes are just as likely or more likely to jump into the transfer portal than work harder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think Tavari's ascension up the depth chart pushes Garvin down the depth chart.  We'll see how he responds.  I think we all hope he responds in a way that earns back the minutes but today's athletes are just as likely or more likely to jump into the transfer portal than work harder.

Garvin has the ability to be a solid D1 PG. He can penetrate well, handles the rock well, and dishes well. He just needs to throw up 1000 shots a day until he's making 500 consistently, and an additional 1000 layups until he's making 999 consistently. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Garvin has the ability to be a solid D1 PG. He can penetrate well, handles the rock well, and dishes well. He just needs to throw up 1000 shots a day until he's making 500 consistently, and an additional 1000 layups until he's making 999 consistently. 

There aren't enough hours in a day to see that happen. 

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

There aren't enough hours in a day to see that happen. 

I have not given up on Clarke based on how played at the end of last season.  When he runs the point he dribbles way too much.  I also notice he often does not stand in front of his man when he is on defense.  I am disappointed he has not improved from last season but I can say the same thing about most of the guys from last year.  I really thought Tribble would be a better shooter this year.  Although you have your doubts about Clarke, are you positive about Hunter?  That has been my major disappointment this year.

One of Groce's sayings is "Winter will ask what Summer did". Something like that anyway. Basically, the time for forming good basketball habits and personal improvement on their shot, dribble, post moves, etc is the off-season. Now is the time for competing and building team chemistry (Teamism). I sure hope these guys have put in the work and are just off to a slow start. Because I too am less than impressed and we need to make up for the lost production of Ali, Dawson and Wynn if we want to have a successful March. We need 2 or 3 players beyond Castaneda, Freeman, and TJ to contribute on a consistent basis. It is getting late in the developmental process for some guys so the potential for them being passed over going forward is quite real. Not concerned yet, it's a long season. And I'm rooting for all of our guys to break out.

• Like 6