QB1

gozips19

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while but wanted to wait until the season ended. 

My question is simple does Jomo have his QB1 for 23? 

Irons certainly passes the eye test. Great arm strength and is very fast. The cons with him is he doesn't see the field well, especially in the red zone and is slow with his reads. This is a major flaw in this type of system. Can he be coached up? 

I think it was CK that called Undercuffler as a fine backup and I agree. If anything his time as QB1 showed how good Jomo's system is and how talented our WR corps are. 

Is Steele ready to play right away? It seems like a stretch but elite QBs make the transition all the time now a days. 

What about the other young QBs on the roster? 

Does coach bring in a transfer or two? 

Curious to hear the boards thoughts on you'd like to see and what you expect coach to do. 

I think our QB room is what it is with the addition of Wassel. I doubt Wassel wins the job, because I think Irons - with a full off-season in JoeMo's program - will make some pretty big strides. He had us in almost every game and led the offense to be the #1 passing offense in the MAC. Give him a better OLine, too, and let's see what he can do. Undercuffler, we learned, is a serviceable backup. Who knows what Dijon and Jankowski are. As long as he's with the program, I haven't seen anything that would say Irons isn't QB1 next year and can't lead us to great success.

7 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while but wanted to wait until the season ended. 

My question is simple does Jomo have his QB1 for 23? 

Irons certainly passes the eye test. Great arm strength and is very fast. The cons with him is he doesn't see the field well, especially in the red zone and is slow with his reads. This is a major flaw in this type of system. Can he be coached up? 

I think it was CK that called Undercuffler as a fine backup and I agree. If anything his time as QB1 showed how good Jomo's system is and how talented our WR corps are. 

Is Steele ready to play right away? It seems like a stretch but elite QBs make the transition all the time now a days. 

What about the other young QBs on the roster? 

Does coach bring in a transfer or two? 

Curious to hear the boards thoughts on you'd like to see and what you expect coach to do. 

So much can happen between now and the start of 2023, but I think it’s still DJI’s job to lose. JoeMo said himself that DJI played as well as any first year QB in his system. JU is an adequate backup and can fill in when needed. In today’s game, it’s important to have a functional backup and JU provides that. I expect JoeMo to bring one more QB in from the portal to really up the competition level at the position. Wasel seems to have the makeup to come in and push for playing time, but it will be difficult to immediately beat out DJI and JU who gained valuable experience this year.

I think Irons is QB1 and no transfers brought in unless there’s a big fish out there for MAC standards if that makes sense. A highly touted QB out of HS whose behind a stud for a big program. 

I agree DJ needs to clean up some things. Taking less sacks/learning to check down/throw the ball away, and cut out the costly turnovers. He has all the tools otherwise. An improved line and running game will help with that a lot.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Steele is graduating early so should be on campus next semester & for Spring Ball. But I’ve got to think Irons will be QB1 next year with Steele redshirting & the being handed the keys to the offense the next 4 years. Of course, as @LZIp mentioned, I’m sure we’d be open to bringing in a big time transfer. But with Irons, JU, and Steele, or QB room looks pretty stable for the foreseeable future.

It does not look like any of the posters on this topic watched the last two games.  The team looked better than it has all year, and we were one fumble away from 2 wins.  JU is a better leader, the team responds to him, and he is a better passer.  He gives the Zips the best chance to win.  

23 minutes ago, bigjim said:

It does not look like any of the posters on this topic watched the last two games.  The team looked better than it has all year, and we were one fumble away from 2 wins.  JU is a better leader, the team responds to him, and he is a better passer.  He gives the Zips the best chance to win.  

Going by conference stats, nothing statistically backs up JU being the better option. Overall yards probably isn’t a fair metric, but JU has an alarmingly high interception rate compared to his passing attempts. The run game looked better with JU, which is ironic, and the defense certainly played better (although I doubt that had anything to do with JU). There are also some throws that JU physically cannot make that DJI can. Who’s a better leader is debatable. 

GP:

DJI = 6

JU = 5

Completion %

DJI = 69.1% - 161 for 233

JU = 60.4% - 58 for 96

Yards 

DJI = 1686

JU = 704

Average Yards Per Game 

DJI = 281.0

JU = 140.8

Efficiency

DJI = 134.6

JU = 128.8

TDs

DJI = 7

JU = 5

INTs

DJI = 6

JU = 5 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

JU is a great backup. He will not go out and win the MAC East. He was forced to win it with his arm today without the new and improved Cam Wiley run game, and he played decent, but too many times he wasn’t able to finish any plays with his feet, and had we had the option today, the Zips would have gone out on top. 

The problem moving forward is Irons will be sidelined for quite a while with this shoulder thing, I think into spring ball and perhaps longer. Wasel is indeed coming in early, and could in turn get some more quality reps in spring and perhaps put his name in the hat. This offense can only go so far with a pocket passer. And while the win over NIU was absolutely huge and valid, NIU has been in tank mode and now their program is falling apart, so the Zips were also fortunate to catch them at the right time. The Zips played excellent with both QBs at different points of the year. Like Joe says, this is a meritocracy, and whoever leads the Zips offense in Lincoln Financial Field will be the one who wins the job. 

QB is a tough position.  We don't know who will be in the room this spring or next fall.  Who will put in the time and do the work.  QB at D1 is a full time job.  There was some skoffing about APR scores elsewhere, but there arn't many QB's in Pre-med.  Look at any D1 roster and check out the players major.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  

20 hours ago, bigjim said:

Undercuffler has only gotten siginificant playing time the last 2 contests. Yep, he needs to cleanup the picks. BUT, if Coach can really clean up the O-line play and thats a must do, either Undercuffler or Irons could be better. Still don't think Coach brought in Undercuffler to sit 2-3 years. The team has looked much better last 2 games. May depend on if Irons can recover by spring ball. We will see.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Steele is graduating early so should be on campus next semester & for Spring Ball. But I’ve got to think Irons will be QB1 next year with Steele redshirting & the being handed the keys to the offense the next 4 years. Of course, as @LZIp mentioned, I’m sure we’d be open to bringing in a big time transfer. But with Irons, JU, and Steele, or QB room looks pretty stable for the foreseeable future.

My guess would be bringing in a big time transfer will open up at least a couple of chairs in the QB room.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:56 PM, catdaddyp said:

Going by conference stats, nothing statistically backs up JU being the better option. Overall yards probably isn’t a fair metric, but JU has an alarmingly high interception rate compared to his passing attempts. The run game looked better with JU, which is ironic, and the defense certainly played better (although I doubt that had anything to do with JU). There are also some throws that JU physically cannot make that DJI can. Who’s a better leader is debatable. 

GP:

DJI = 6

JU = 5

Completion %

DJI = 69.1% - 161 for 233

JU = 60.4% - 58 for 96

Yards 

DJI = 1686

JU = 704

Average Yards Per Game 

DJI = 281.0

JU = 140.8

Efficiency

DJI = 134.6

JU = 128.8

TDs

DJI = 7

JU = 5

INTs

DJI = 6

JU = 5 

Sorry, but I have been away for a few days.  Statistics are important, but they are not the tell all.  If you only look at Stats, I can understand why you got canned from your coaching job.  You need to look at the strength of the team you are playing, winning record, turnovers in the last minute, the game plan, etc.  I see one QB was 1-9 with a lucky win over a FCS team (and a potential win against CMU although the game was tied) vs. a QB who was 1-1 and would have been 2-0 if not for a missed FG and/or a crazy late fumble when Akron was leading.  The offense and team responded to him very well.  It is not a guarantee that JU goes 8-4 next year, but he should be in the conversation and Irons needs to show something on the field.  I always think it is humorous when people who have never played sports at a serious level think they know how a team and locker room operates.  I love my Zips, and I am going away for a few days.  

Go Zips!!!

• Thumbs down 1

15 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Sorry, but I have been away for a few days.  Statistics are important, but they are not the tell all.  If you only look at Stats, I can understand why you got canned from your coaching job.  You need to look at the strength of the team you are playing, winning record, turnovers in the last minute, the game plan, etc.  I see one QB was 1-9 with a lucky win over a FCS team (and a potential win against CMU although the game was tied) vs. a QB who was 1-1 and would have been 2-0 if not for a missed FG and/or a crazy late fumble when Akron was leading.  The offense and team responded to him very well.  It is not a guarantee that JU goes 8-4 next year, but he should be in the conversation and Irons needs to show something on the field.  I always think it is humorous when people who have never played sports at a serious level think they know how a team and locker room operates.  I love my Zips, and I am going away for a few days.  

Go Zips!!!

@catdaddyp has been one of the best, if not THE best asset to the football section of this forum. This is a disrespectful, trash response to a thoroughly developed post that highlighted a pretty important aspect of the discussion. 

I'm glad you saw a 1-9 record. I saw a number of 1 score losses that were enabled by a porous defense that turned it on for the final 2 games - ironically when JU was under center.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Go Zips!!!

Don’t take a congenial conversation and make things personal @bigjim. Especially when you know nothing about my coaching record or my achievements. I stepped away from coaching, and definitely not canned as you incorrectly assumed, to spend more time with my family and the opportunity to work from home. Now my wife is pushing me to go back into it with my kids (somewhat) functional. I have more experience in the areas you mentioned than most. Outside of personal observation, which we clearly disagree on, there is no way to compare the two players without stats. 

• Like 7

With Irons this team has a much higher ceiling. Irons has areas he does need to improve his game (As can be said about nearly everyone). Namely in getting through his progressions quicker to find the right read, and simply understanding at times its best to throw the ball away to live for another down instead of taking a costly sacks that kills the drive. Hopefully with an improved o-line and another offseason with JoeMo he improves in these areas.

• Like 1

@catdaddypPlease don't be too upset with BJs rant. I think this is just a case of someone with an undistinguished career/life striking out at someone whose career/life he finds intimidating Unfortunately, this is commonplace. Sometimes successful completion of a Dale Carnegie course will help but there are no guarantees. My major criticism of Undercuffer is that he floats his passes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Undercuffler also had the benefit of leading a team that had nearly a full season under them while the team was still growing during most of Irons starts.  I agree that Irons isn't the fastest in his reads but I think that will improve with experience in the system.  This system is also set up to be more successful with a mobile QB and Irons is far more mobile.  He has shown to be a better arm talent than Undercuffler.  I also have issues with Undercuffler's temperament after his embarrassing behavior in the Miami game.

The way I look at this team is that every position is open.  If a better talent comes in at QB it should be his job, but based upon who is in the QB room right now, Irons is the best alternative.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

With Irons this team has a much higher ceiling. Irons has areas he does need to improve his game (As can be said about nearly everyone). Namely in getting through his progressions quicker to find the right read, and simply understanding at times its best to throw the ball away to live for another down instead of taking a costly sacks that kills the drive. Hopefully with an improved o-line and another offseason with JoeMo he improves in these areas.

I agree. I see Irons as a “high ceiling” and Undercuffler as serviceable and game manager. I am uncertain on Jankowski but from watching Dijon in high school I would say he has a lot of the same “high ceiling” athleticism as Irons. I have no clue on Wassel other than what I have read here. Everyone seems to be thinking he goes right past guys like Jankowski and Jennings but Moorhead is very good with QBs, a year in the system for any of them could make them a completely different entity than when they first arrived.