2022-23 Akron Football Off-season Tracker

Let'sGoZips94

I think Brayden was being recruited on potential and his name.  He's got a terrific genetic pedigree but never really did much on the field.  But I will admit that you guys are correct about Hoban players not really standing out at the college level.  There've been a number of Hoban recruits I've wished we'd landed but then they sort of fizzle out at the college level. (Not that I'm hoping Lamar fizzles out.) I'll try to console myself with that fact. lol.

Btw, Hoban junior QB Jacquai (sp?) Long is ranked as one of the better QB's in the class of '24 but he really isn't very good. Idk how on earth he's rated as highly as he is.  Hoban hasn't been able to keep a defense honest with their passing game since Shane Hamm graduated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Oh, that's right! I had forgotten. And maybe that'd help land his little brother, Darryn, for Coach Groce!💪💪 

Given his offers/ranking, doubtful. But a key to the city for the pair as part of a lucrative NIL deal may sweeten the pot. If we can't match money vs. other universities, give them the secrets of the tax code to paying less taxes on the NIL money we can offer. Haha.

Hope everyone is doing well, i keep up but don’t comment much but I have seen every Hoban football game for 4 seasons 18-21 to watch my nephew now playing at Stonehill.

Hoban is a machine but wouldn’t want Coach T coaching my Zips.  I liked Bowden because he gave Dusty a chance but Morehead in year one in my humble opinion has provided the best overall staff & I believe the roster could be its best this year from end to end.

Scouting is so difficult and so many coaches follow protocols, height, weight, speed etc.  Trayunum now at Ohio State is the best player I watched at Hoban.  Peterson is very good & will make some noise this year

Clark’s knee injury was more serious than most people realize, he had complete knee ligament tears & nerve damage.  He had the measurable’s 

Fox was big for a WR, thick, a little slow, was a safety but from what I understand didn’t want to make the change

Rumler may be able in the mix this year

I believe Dawson led the NEC in rushing this year, same league my nephew is in.  I told my brother & nephew all along he was height challenged to play D1, he was a 4 year letter winner & 3 year starter

Sperling is an absolute beast but I see why no real interest at D1 level at about 5’8”.  He held up in high school being way over used so he may surprise at the next level

Hopeful this is our year to take off

Go Zips 🦘 

Edited by ComettoZip
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Following recruiting is just exhausting nowadays. Two signing days...constant turnover with the portal...players coming and going throughout the entire year...

I miss the days when there was one signing day, no portal, and you'd get surprised by maybe two or three roster additions in summer camp.

I have no frigging clue who 70% of the Zips starters will be when September rolls around. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Probably about as favorable of a schedule that we could hope for. We don't have to play Toledo, no midweek home games, and we get a home game against a rebuilding Kent. I still think making it to 6 wins will be challenging, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Just now, kreed5120 said:

Probably about as favorable of a schedule that we could hope for. We don't have to play Toledo, no midweek home games, and we get a home game against a rebuilding Kent. I still think making it to 6 wins will be challenging, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Aren't KSUcks and Ohio potential mid-week home games?

Just now, kreed5120 said:

I see that now. I should have looked at a calendar before commenting 

No worries. It looks like our final FOUR games could possibly be mid-week. I'm sure there's no way they'd do that. November Tuesday night games are "Friends & Family" affairs. 🤬🤬🤮