Game 10- Wright State

clarkwgriswold

Wright State comes to Akron Wednesday night to face the Zips.  The Raiders stand at 5-5 coming off of a 64-60 loss at Western Kentucky.  They have wins over Louisville, Bowling Green, Defiance, Abilene Christian and Weber State.  They have lost three in a row, to WKU, Youngstown State and Rober Morris and lost earlier in the season to Davidson and UC Riverside.

The Raiders lost two of their best players, Tanner Holden and Grant Basile, who combined for 38.5 points and 15.6 rebounds last season, to P5 teams in the offseason.  In their absence,  the team has been led by 6'0" senior guard Trey Calvin at 17 ppg and 6'2" senior guard Amari Jackson at 12.9 ppg. 6'8" redshirt freshman forward Brandon Noel kicks in 12.1 ppg while leading the team in rebounding at 6.4 rpg.  The Raiders were predicted to finish third in the Horizon preseason poll .  Calvin and former Horizon League Freshman of the Year Amari Davis (who started his career at UWGB) were named to the All-Horizon preseason second team.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wright State comes to Akron Wednesday night to face the Zips.  The Raiders stand at 5-5 coming off of a 64-60 loss at Western Kentucky.  They have wins over Louisville, Bowling Green, Defiance, Abilene Christian and Weber State.  They have lost three in a row, to WKU, Youngstown State and Rober Morris and lost earlier in the season to Davidson and UC Riverside.

The Raiders lost two of their best players, Tanner Holden and Grant Basile, who combined for 38.5 points and 15.6 rebounds last season, to P5 teams in the offseason.  In their absence,  the team has been led by 6'0" senior guard Trey Calvin at 17 ppg and 6'2" senior guard Amari Jackson at 12.9 ppg. 6'8" redshirt freshman forward Brandon Noel kicks in 12.1 ppg while leading the team in rebounding at 6.4 rpg.  The Raiders were predicted to finish third in the Horizon preseason poll .  Calvin and former Horizon League Freshman of the Year Amari Davis (who started his career at UWGB) were named to the All-Horizon preseason second team.

This game should go in the win column for the Zips. Basile is tearing it up for Virginia Tech and, at Ohio State, while Holden has spent most of the time as a sub. He does get into games and just got done sinking the winning 3-pointer against Rutgers with virtually no time left on the clock. With those two still at Wright State I believe the Raiders would beat the Zips; without them the Raiders are looking a lot like a 500 ball club. Their center plays soft and on offense for most of the game they play 4 on 5!!! Their coach just loves a guard named Norris who, if things go as they have for most of this season, is very reluctant to shoot.  Perhaps that's just as well because both Calvin and Davis are gunners that take enough shots for four guys. 

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1

If you exclude Kent, Akron, and Toledo Wright State is about on par with the rest of the MAC this year. These are the type of games we need to win, particularly at home. That said, I expect given Akron's offensive woes that we'll be upset by a few subpar teams this year. I still have Akron winning, but wouldn't be surprised if Wright St makes this game interesting.

Edited by kreed5120

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If you exclude Kent, Akron, and Toledo Wright State is about on par with the rest of the MAC this year. These are the type of games we need to win, particularly at home. That said, I expect given Akron's offensive woes that we'll be upset by a few subpar teams this year. I still have Akron winning, but wouldn't be surprised if Wright St makes this game interesting.

If Akron is going to lose to a few sub par teams this year then Wright State has a chance cause they are definitely sub par.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

This game should go in the win column for the Zips. Basile is tearing it up for Virginia Tech and, at Ohio State, while Holden has spent most of the time as a sub. He does get into games and just got done sinking the winning 3-pointer against Rutgers with virtually no time left on the clock. With those two still at Wright State I believe the Raiders would beat the Zips; without them the Raiders are looking a lot like a 500 ball club. Their center plays soft and on offense for most of the game they play 4 on 5!!! Their coach just loves a guard named Norris who, if things go as they have for most of this season, is very reluctant to shoot.  Perhaps that's just as well because both Calvin and Davis are gunners that take enough shots for four guys. 

We beat them last year with both Holden and Basile on the roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigzip1 said:

We beat them last year with both Holden and Basile on the roster.

The Zips win occurred early in the season with the Raiders trying their best to cope with three deaths including Holden's dad and coach Nagy's dad. At the end of the season there was a high probability the Raiders would have prevailed.

Edited by Zipmeister

The 1-7 ATS Akron Zips are -6 tonight. Opened at -8. It’s still very early in the year, but this team’s flaws are still very apparent. Sunday looked like a step in the right direction before a near disaster. If they don’t put together a decent 30-40 minutes tonight, the home nonconference win streak may come to an end. This is going to be a tough coaching job for this staff, and it’s their own fault as I’m a little questionable on some of the new personnel. Go Zips!

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

The 1-7 ATS Akron Zips are -6 tonight. Opened at -8. It’s still very early in the year, but this team’s flaws are still very apparent. Sunday looked like a step in the right direction before a near disaster. If they don’t put together a decent 30-40 minutes tonight, the home nonconference win streak may come to an end. This is going to be a tough coaching job for this staff, and it’s their own fault as I’m a little questionable on some of the new personnel. Go Zips!

When Groce has lost Loyal Zip...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ha, not even remotely close. Just holding him accountable is all. I have faith that this group will improve immensely, I just expect a bit more to this point. 

IDK.  Seems like you are testing the waters.  Putting out some negative comments which will eventually lead to your starting a "Fire Groce" thread.

• Like 1