Game 10- Wright State

clarkwgriswold

47 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

The JAR is 1000 feet off an exit from a major freeway.  Granted, the construction on the central interchange is a pain, but really?Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Agree. When folks are interested enough, they show up and find their way through the labyrinth that is Akron.  One can park one's car relatively close and walk right in.  You want inconvenient, go to an Ohio State basketball game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I thought he played well in the 2nd half after that comment. Like I said, unsure if his play has really dropped down a level from the end of last year or not, but that's just the feel I get. Stats could say I'm wrong and I could just be taking his play for granted. He has higher expectations than everyone else on the team (not that others don't need to be all stars in their role), fair or not. We're counting on him.

Enrique was always a 1 dimensional scorer (back to basket) with a shooting range of ~7 feet. He's elite in that 1 facet, but that's the limit to his offensive game.

What you're seeing is teams are able to send hard double teams at him freely to force the ball out of his hands or make him force a shot. Defenses couldn't do that as freely as last year as he was surrounded by shooters that would make them pay. If Hunter, Hankerson, Tavari become consistent from 3, you'll see Freeman get back to being the offensive force he was last year.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, Hilltopper said:

The JAR is 1000 feet off an exit from a major freeway.  Granted, the construction on the central interchange is a pain, but really?Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Yes, I agree it's an extremely easy drive to get to. Also, downtown would make it so fewer students would attend. If anything I wish the arena was next to the football stadium on exchange that way it would be more convenient to go to the bars/restaurants before and after the game.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Talking about Enriques game. I noticed last night he made a couple of sweet passes to Tavari and Tribble as they slashed for a lay up. Enrique passed from around the free throw line. He was also the recipient of a no-look bounce pass from Tavari between two defenders for a dunk. This type of give and go action as well as pick and pop action with Tavari will free Enrique up for some wide open 10-15 footers. Something we have not seen from him to date. I'm hopeful he adds that element to his game during the course of the year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Talking about Enriques game. I noticed last night he made a couple of sweet passes to Tavari and Tribble as they slashed for a lay up. Enrique passed from around the free throw line. He was also the recipient of a no-look bounce pass from Tavari between two defenders for a dunk. This type of give and go action as well as pick and pop action with Tavari will free Enrique up for some wide open 10-15 footers. Something we have not seen from him to date. I'm hopeful he adds that element to his game during the course of the year.

I would say that the Zips have forever failed to master the pick and roll.  Even when the pick occurs and the picker rolls and is open the guards have failed to recognize it and get him the ball.  It is one of the Zips pet peeves!

Enrique has improved his passing from the post but it still needs work.  When he gets better at it and his teammates start making threes from those passes, he'll find that he'll see fewer double teams.  It's a bad sign that teams are so willing to leave a guard to double down on him every time he touches the ball.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I would say that the Zips have forever failed to master the pick and roll.  Even when the pick occurs and the picker rolls and is open the guards have failed to recognize it and get him the ball.  It is one of the Zips pet peeves!

Enrique has improved his passing from the post but it still needs work.  When he gets better at it and his teammates start making threes from those passes, he'll find that he'll see fewer double teams.  It's a bad sign that teams are so willing to leave a guard to double down on him every time he touches the ball.

Agreed. Tribble's struggles in particular has hurt the flow and spacing of our offense. I keep hoping he would just hit a few to keep opposing defenses honest. Hopefully our team shooting percentage continues to improves.

But I am thinking Tavari is going to be exceptional in his role as an orchestrator and distributor. Hunter should benefit from beyond the arc and Enrique/Lyles could from mid-range if they are able to shoot away from the rim. Time will tell.

48 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Agreed. Tribble's struggles in particular has hurt the flow and spacing of our offense. I keep hoping he would just hit a few to keep opposing defenses honest. Hopefully our team shooting percentage continues to improves.

But I am thinking Tavari is going to be exceptional in his role as an orchestrator and distributor. Hunter should benefit from beyond the arc and Enrique/Lyles could from mid-range if they are able to shoot away from the rim. Time will tell.

Here's a blast from the past for you older Zips fans - Tavari reminds  me a little of Zips great Eric McLaughlin. 

• Thanks 1