Game 14- Northern Illinois

clarkwgriswold

I realize I am getting this thread up a little early but I am out of town and will be on the road Saturday so I wanted to post it while I could.

The Huskies of Northern Illinois come into the JAR Tuesday night to open the MAC season.

The Huskies are 4-9 coming into the MAC season with wins over Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, LIU and Purdue Northwest.  They were predicted to finish last in the MAC preseason poll, placing no player on the 1st or 2nd All-MAC preseason team.  6’3” junior guard Tulsa transfer Keshawn Williams leads scoring at an impressive 19.5 ppg while also leading rebounding at 5 rpg.  5’11” sophomore guard David Coit is second in scoring at 14.2 ppg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Though we haven’t come out the gate like I expected to this year, we’re still in decent shape and have at least not lost a bad head-scratcher (yet). We’ve been begging for a tough nonconference schedule for years and we got one, and it showed. I don’t think this has been a result of lack of skill, it’s just taking the new pieces longer to gel than I would have hoped for. With that said, there have been instances where the defense allows far too many open jumpers, and I still have a really bad feeling about the big man position as a whole. 

Anyway, tomorrow is a great opportunity. In MAC play, the days of expecting to blow out teams like this are over for me. Not because I don’t think Akron is good, you just never know when they can jump up and bite you. And it’s a long season, so hiccups can happen. Like it or not, it boils down to 3 days in March. Step one begins tomorrow, and I like the guy we’ve got in charge. Go Zips!

• Like 2