Game 14- Northern Illinois

clarkwgriswold

In a way it was good that other players had to produce.  It seems like players are hesitant to shoot or take the ball to the basket because they are deferring to X and when he is off we have not played well.  Tribble had his best game.  I would still like him to develop an outside shot and not be a one dimensional player.

• Like 1

Great to win like that without X. Freaking awesome. I didn’t think this group had it in them. They were on par with the worst team in the league, one of the worst in America, for 20 minutes. Then like a switch, the open shots went in, Enrique’s layups began to fall, and the D didn’t back down. 25 could’ve easily had 40 had he shown up in the first half. Man they’re bad. 

Feel bad for Hank, I wish he could’ve shot it better against them, but he played just fine. Kobe played some great D. Tavari took a step back IMO. 

Won’t be easy in Muncie. Whitford is no more. Go Zips!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

In a way it was good that other players had to produce.  It seems like players are hesitant to shoot or take the ball to the basket because they are deferring to X and when he is off we have not played well.  Tribble had his best game.  I would still like him to develop an outside shot and not be a one dimensional player.

+1

32 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

X's "sprained wrist" just gave this team a massive boost by learning to play without him, gaining confidence on their own. That was a good win, but man, NIU is atrocious. 

That offense pretended like they wanted to shoot from outside, but they really didn't want to.  

10 hours ago, mrelegazna said:

Psst...it's "voila." 🙂

I actually looked that up before posting & it said in America to just spell it "walla" now, or even "wa-la."

I almost used "presto." 😅

Edit: or not. Upon further review it clearly says that is the incorrect usage. 😑

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

The final 15 minutes or so, NIU put on one of the worst displays of basketball in every single facet of the game that I have ever seen. It got me to thinking, they have been a lot like the Akron football of MAC basketball. Usually in the bottom 3, with a couple of years sneaking up into the top half, with no real shots at league titles over the last 15 years.

And to that point, I'm so glad that Zips basketball has been where they are, and while 17 years of pretty awful Zips football has been hard to watch, I would much rather they be where they have been than UA basketball be where NIU is. I can't imagine tuning in 32 times in the dead of winter to watch a product so horrible year after year. With football, at least it's only 12 games and there's no fun conference tournament or everything. The 17-18 season was bad enough, I can't even begin to imagine having so many consecutive seasons even worse than that one.

I'm so thankful to KD and coach Groce for giving us such a quality product. Zips fans are pretty damn lucky. 

• Like 3