Game 15- Ball State

Normally against a team like NIU, I wouldn't be overly encouraged by the result we just had. If the second half had been as bad as the first half, I would expect to get run off the floor tonight. However, anytime you win a half by 20+ in this league, you've got something good going. I'm not going to assume this team has solved all of its issues--its' still got a loooooong way to go--but it was encouraging to see them perform as they were advertised in November for a bit. 

The key to victory tonight is Tavari Johnson. He must produce. He'll have the ball in his hands the most unless he plays poorly enough for Tribble/Johnson to take over. And the better we shoot it from outside at the start, the less pressure on Freeman to carry the load. I think we'll struggle big time tonight if we have to do that. Enrique's play has been very suspect at times this year, and the first half on Tuesday was pretty alarming. He ended the night 10-18, but missed so many easy ones in the first half. That cannot happen. I know we shouldn't be relying on him to create all the offense, but the thing that separates him from any old center is the ability to put it in the bucket.

Last year, Sparks had a hell of a day at the JAR. On the return game in Muncie, a total non-factor. On paper, the KJ Walton Classic should be a pretty solid matchup. But winning on the road in these Friday primetime games is no easy task. Lewis has figured out a lot of what Whitford couldn't. He gets a lot out of everyone on that roster, and in addition to bringing back Sparks, he got Jarron Coleman to return from Muncie after a one year rental at Mizzou (KJ Walton's first stop in college). 

You should check out the Ball State message board Over The Pylon. It's probably the second best board in the league behind ours. I'm happy for them that they don't have to suffer through Whitford ball anymore. But I'd love to see Groce make them suffer through a late home game tonight. Go Zips!

56 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

You should check out the Ball State message board Over The Pylon. It's probably the second best board in the league behind ours. I'm happy for them that they don't have to suffer through Whitford ball anymore. But I'd love to see Groce make them suffer through a late home game tonight. Go Zips!

Whitford was the worst.  Their fans seem "ok," though, and they have an attractive dance team.

Edited by NWAkron

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Taking Zips moneyline tonight since it seems like X is playing. I trust you guys that Ball State is improved, but until they prove they can beat us, I’m taking the Zips.

I found an alternate points total of over 123.5. Parlaying it with some Toledo/WMU bets. Only way I could bet this game while feeling good about it. Glad to hear X is playing.

Watched a betting show that questioned why Akron was getting +2.5, then referenced our last 5 games (all W's) against Balls. I don't think he realizes Balls has a new coach that I think is pretty legit. What they did to Toledo was impressive. This is a new Balls team strictly based on the coach. 

28 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

X has been working out a bit with the guys, I’m not sure that pic is any confirmation that he’s actually playing. Either way, I’m glad it’s not a serious injury. 

And in the above picture it looks like he’s favoring/protecting that right hand.