Game 16- BGSU

Haven't there been a number of close games at BG over the years.  Gladden had a tip in to win and didn't Harney do the same.  2 total bricks from that BG player..

Re: AKRON

Post by BGSU33 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:36 pm

F'in Akron....I get so, so tired of losing to them. They have simply owned BG for two decades now. BG is just 5-34 since 2005 vs Akron! That is mind blowing! I never thought we'd see a conference foe dominate us like that. That kind of record is what you'd expect to be vs teams in the Top-25, not vs a fellow MAC member. SMH...

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Haven't there been a number of close games at BG over the years.  Gladden had a tip in to win and didn't Harney do the same.  2 total bricks from that BG player..

Harney won with a floater in the dying seconds in Akron's first ever trip to the Stroh Center, I believe a game after BG beat Groce's Sweet 16 Bobcats in the same building. Kent Roosevelt's Cameron Black tried to draw a charge (could have been called) but Harney drained a tough shot that nobody on this current roster could hit. BJ Gladden grabbed a clutch offensive rebound and put it in, a great call by Steve French that night. There are videos somewhere on the InterGoogle of both of those moments. In 2017 amid the Dambrot collapse, he lost at BG for the first and only time on a couple late FTs, that was a 9:00pm Tuesday tip. In a close game, BG's guard drove to the basket with no plan other than to slam into Big Dog and get a foul call, and he did. In 2018, Sina Gbadebo hit I believe his only 3 of the year in the first half, and Utomi came in the clutch, and Jimond Ivey hit a late bucket to win that one. A year later, Turner won it late for the Falcons. Lots of fun ballgames in that building, usually in favor of the Zips.

One of the best Akron teams ever got blown out there in 2020. Tyler Cheese fouled out and was later suspended for the game at Buffalo for nudging a ref. I thought that team was collapsing, and I remember texting my friends that night about how I was glad we had the nice run but would settle to the 2 seed. Little did anyone know, the following 3 incredible games would help that team go down as champions. Beating Buffalo, OU, and Kent consecutively to be alone at the top was so sweet, it softened the blow of not getting to see them play in a tournament, just a little bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Harney won with a floater in the dying seconds in Akron's first ever trip to the Stroh Center, I believe a game after BG beat Groce's Sweet 16 Bobcats in the same building. Kent Roosevelt's Cameron Black tried to draw a charge (could have been called) but Harney drained a tough shot that nobody on this current roster could hit. BJ Gladden grabbed a clutch offensive rebound and put it in, a great call by Steve French that night. There are videos somewhere on the InterGoogle of both of those moments. In 2017 amid the Dambrot collapse, he lost at BG for the first and only time on a couple late FTs, that was a 9:00pm Tuesday tip. In a close game, BG's guard drove to the basket with no plan other than to slam into Big Dog and get a foul call, and he did. In 2018, Sina Gbadebo hit I believe his only 3 of the year in the first half, and Utomi came in the clutch, and Jimond Ivey hit a late bucket to win that one. A year later, Turner won it late for the Falcons. Lots of fun ballgames in that building, usually in favor of the Zips.

One of the best Akron teams ever got blown out there in 2020. Tyler Cheese fouled out and was later suspended for the game at Buffalo for nudging a ref. I thought that team was collapsing, and I remember texting my friends that night about how I was glad we had the nice run but would settle to the 2 seed. Little did anyone know, the following 3 incredible games would help that team go down as champions. Beating Buffalo, OU, and Kent consecutively to be alone at the top was so sweet, it softened the blow of not getting to see them play in a tournament, just a little bit.

BG was in first place that year by a few games going into the final weeks and then collapsed.  Zips had OU in that first game in Cleveland...that wasn't a gimme.

Right, after Cheese incident, Zips went to Buffalo and won easily.  I also remember Groce being ejected in Buffalo his first season?

Edited by NWAkron

As for last night, it would have been a perfect time for this team, who we can all agree has left a bit to be desired, to fold up and say "we'll be fine, we'll beat EMU Friday and be fine." They had two separate 9-point deficits in the first half, and a pair of 6-point deficits in the second half. It felt a bit like that Nevada game at times. Yeah, the Zips could have played better, but it was just the opponent's day to win. 13 won it for the Zips, though, with a good supporting "Cast". We missed his maturity and composure at Ball State in a big way. BG doesn't have a guy like that, if they did, the result may have been different. Great team defense in the final 2 minutes. 

Freeman getting to the line and making his first nine was equally as important. 9-10! After yet another rough start for him, he removed his head from you know where and began making smart post moves. It's like sometimes he forgets that schools have 3 years of tape on him now, and he just tries the first thing that pops in his head and fires up the layup or hook shot no matter how open he is or where he is.

You can tell that Hankerson, though a great player, is not used to being on a winning team or in a winning culture. It's not his fault, he spent 4 years in basketball hell. But there are times where he takes plays or moments off, especially on defense, that lead to easy buckets. He's shooting it pretty well, but was a little trigger happy last night. Groce must have lit into Kobe as well for Friday, as he came out swinging at both ends. He's an underrated defender.

Tavari was okay. I would say the limited minutes were more a result of Sammy coming to life. TJ hit his first one and did little else. At BSU, he was a liability. I don't feel that way about last night.

And as for Sammy...welcome to Akron basketball! Please for the love of all that is holy do not let that be a flash in the pan. Continue to be aggressive at both ends, but smart. He made BG take a lot of tough shots last night, and credit to them for hitting a lot of them. 4-6 from 3, a perfect 3-3 from 2, and a perfect 1-1 at the foul line. A steal, a block, a pair of rebounds. The Zips won't lose much when he can contribute like that.

Go Zips!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Right, after Cheese incident, Zips went to Buffalo and won easily.  I also remember Groce being ejected in Buffalo his first season?

Yup. The official was Buddy Mayborg. He is now retired (pretty sure), but after that game, he didn't get Akron many more times. The Zips put in a strong effort at Buffalo that night, but let it slip away late. He was fed up with it all, and had to let it out. I asked Marquelle McIntyre about it the next day. He said coach just turned to the assistants and asked if he should do it, they assured him yes, and the rest is history. Groce has won 2 titles at Akron since that moment.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, LoyalZIP said:

You can tell that Hankerson, though a great player, is not used to being on a winning team or in a winning culture. It's not his fault, he spent 4 years in basketball hell. 

He didn't have Google in high school?

* Google searches Northern Illinois men's basketball *

Results...

Fire Trash GIF

Sesame Street Trash GIF

On Fire What GIF

On 1/11/2023 at 9:51 AM, LoyalZIP said:

Yup. The official was Buddy Mayborg. He is now retired (pretty sure), but after that game, he didn't get Akron many more times. The Zips put in a strong effort at Buffalo that night, but let it slip away late. He was fed up with it all, and had to let it out. I asked Marquelle McIntyre about it the next day. He said coach just turned to the assistants and asked if he should do it, they assured him yes, and the rest is history. Groce has won 2 titles at Akron since that moment.

Sorry but I looked it up and Buddy is still a ref in division 3 with 250 people attending.  Less stress?