Game 17- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

The JAR welcomes the 4-12 EMU Eagles this Friday.  Despite bringing in one of college basketball's top transfers, Emoni Bates, Stan Heath's squad has struggled, going 3-10 in the OOC schedule and 1-2 in the MAC.   The Eagles MAC win came over CMU.  Eastern is 8th in the MAC in team offense at 73.1 ppg and last in defense giving up 80.1 ppg. 

The 6'10" Bates leads EMU in scoring and rebounding at 20.9 ppg and 6.0 rpg.  6'4" sophomore guard Tyler Acuff is the second leading scorer at 12.7 ppg.

It will interesting to see how the Zips defend Bates.  Will they send a less mobile big at him or use a smaller player to pester him? 

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

As long as it isn't a replay of February 8, 2020, at the JAR.  "Spottsville missed them both!"  One of the craziest, heart-pounding endings at the JAR.  I swear a decent contingent of fans left before X (Part 1) hit the 3. 

Right up there with Western Michigan game last year.

I'm fine with a replay of any win. I don't want anything to ever resemble a replay of March 9, 2008

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

As long as it isn't a replay of February 8, 2020, at the JAR.  "Spottsville missed them both!"  One of the craziest, heart-pounding endings at the JAR.  I swear a decent contingent of fans left before X (Part 1) hit the 3. 

Right up there with Western Michigan game last year.

I got into a little back and forth with another Zips fan at the end of that game. If my memory is correct, Groce was fouling when he didn't need to (it was still a 1 possession game with appropriate time left). Didn't make sense to me and still doesn't, but it worked out. Sweet watching X hit that game winner.

I wish Spottsville was still there. What a bad team. They nearly escaped the JAR with a win last year too. 

This being on national TV concerns me. Bates only likes to show up for a big audience, and he’ll have that Friday. The should’ve beaten Michigan, and gave South Carolina a decent game. 

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I got into a little back and forth with another Zips fan at the end of that game. If my memory is correct, Groce was fouling when he didn't need to (it was still a 1 possession game with appropriate time left). Didn't make sense to me and still doesn't, but it worked out. Sweet watching X hit that game winner.

Didn't the Zips have fouls to give?

Will be courtside for Friday's game, very excited to see what Bates is like up close, he certainly has had a lot of hype surrounding him and some of that being well deserved. EMU still just not a good all around team, hopefully another solid win and we can get rolling into the heart of MAC play. Have there been any updates on Dawson or Clarke?

25 minutes ago, johnnyzip84 said:

It will be interesting to see if Enrique can keep up his current rebounding pace.  if he does, he'll probably climb above his current #5 national ranking.  Look who's at #11.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/137

I can't believe how much Aziz has progressed this year already. 4th in the nation in blocks too. And he is shooting 62% from the field, higher than Enrique right now. What a game changer he would be as a Zip right now

12 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

I can't believe how much Aziz has progressed this year already. 4th in the nation in blocks too. And he is shooting 62% from the field, higher than Enrique right now. What a game changer he would be as a Zip right now

The heart wants what the heart wants...and the heart wanted...Utah Valley

His stats should only get better and they move into the conference portion of the season, facing the likes of Texas-Rio Grande Valley, California Baptist State, Abeline Christian, Utah Tech, Tarleton State and the other heavy-hitters of the WAC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Maybe at one point, but I'm pretty sure we intentionally gave them FTs in a one score game with adequate time left to get a shot off after their possession.

It's a pretty slow, rainy day when we are reliving an EMU game from 3 years ago.  But that game is seared into my memory.  A friend from work was at that game and I mentioned that to her (when I asked if she was going this Friday) and she's like "how do you remember that?"  Channel crashed hard on the floor fighting off the last shot.  Rob Murphy stormed onto the floor.  A number of people around me had left.

Of course, if we are really desperate we can discuss the Guard with Braids and the 2018 MAC quarterfinal v EMU.

Edited by NWAkron

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

It's a pretty slow, rainy day when we are reliving an EMU game from 3 years ago.  But that game is seared into my memory.  A friend from work was at that game and I mentioned that to her (when I asked if she was going this Friday) and she's like "how do you remember that?"  Channel crashed hard on the floor fighting off the last shot.  Rob Murphy stormed onto the floor.  A number of people around me had left.

Of course, if we are really desperate we can discuss the Guard with Braids and the 2018 MAC quarterfinal v EMU.

Indeed a slow, rainy day. But man, what a comeback and a win that day. Groce was very clear with Frenchy after the game—we did not deserve to win that game. Hard to disagree. That game came on the heels of the week of the home loss to Buffalo (made it a 2-game home losing streak), and loss at Kent (should’ve won, X was in the thick of his break-up and his head was out of it). Then we had the weird “bye” week so our only game that week was against EMU, a team we blew the brakes off of in Ypsi. It was a defining moment for that team. 

29 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think it started here down 51-49 with 1:37 left:

1:37Foul on Tyler Cheese.5149

Of course we have no way to confirm if it was intentional or not without video :) 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay/_/gameId/401172680