Game 17- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

What a game! EMU is a train wreck. Bates and Farrakhan only cared about themselves and their points. The entire team lacked heart and that starts with the coach. I've got a bone to pick with the announcers. It took Akron being up by 21 before they stopped drooling over Bates. The second half they got better, but he first half was putrid with their fawning all over Bates. Cudos to our boys for showing class. Groce is putting a good team together.

My thoughts- 

Heath should be fired tonight. He should find his own way back to Ypsalanti. The effort his team put forth tonight was criminal. The preparation his staff put forth tonight was criminal. I can’t recall in my 38 years as a Zips fan, even the worst Coleman Crawford coached team quit trying. So early. 

Bates is worthless. He’s the poster child for the Stars Don’t Matter movement. His effort was embarrassing. His shot selection was abhorrent. His accolades are farcical. 

Give me Farrakhan any day of the week. I’d dance a jig if he was our next MAC transfer to follow Walton and Hankerson. EMU’s other 12 players…I hope they have great grades because they have no hope of a basketball career.

Concord put up a better fight. California Baptist women’s team would put up a better fight against the UConn women. 

If there was one EMU basketball fan left, they have to have quit on their alma mater tonight. 

Great effort by the Zips tonight. Teams of lesser caliber would have got caught up in EMU’s selfish play and started getting “their” numbers when then lead got appreciable. Instead, the Zips played as a team and poured it on until the final buzzer. They didn’t play down to the level of the opponent. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

My thoughts- 

Heath should be fired tonight. He should find his own way back to Ypsalanti. The effort his team put forth tonight was criminal. The preparation his staff put forth tonight was criminal. I can’t recall in my 38 years as a Zips fan, even the worst Coleman Crawford coached team quit trying. So early. 

Bates is worthless. He’s the poster child for the Stars Don’t Matter movement. His effort was embarrassing. His shot selection was abhorrent. His accolades are farcical. 

Give me Farrakhan any day of the week. I’d dance a jig if he was our next MAC transfer to follow Walton and Hankerson. EMU’s other 12 players…I hope they have great grades because they have no hope of a basketball career.

Concord put up a better fight. California Baptist women’s team would put up a better fight against the UConn women. 

If there was one EMU basketball fan left, they have to have quit on their alma mater tonight. 

Great effort by the Zips tonight. Teams of lesser caliber would have got caught up in EMU’s selfish play and started getting “their” numbers when then lead got appreciable. Instead, the Zips played as a team and poured it on until the final buzzer. They didn’t play down to the level of the opponent. 

I’m saving my trip the EMU message board for a nice morning read with my pre-Zip WBB cup of coffee. Can’t wait. 

Heath is pathetic. They may beat the Zips in a month for all I know, but the fact that this team is 4-whatever in the middle of January is crazy. The Zips did get some calls tonight, but certainly not enough to warrant the blowup. They play lazy-ass defense and foul. That’s all that happened there. 

Honestly, if I’m the AD, I’m saying either Bates drops out to play overseas, or Heath is out. I can’t even imagine going into next week with those 2 in the program at the same time. The sample is big enough to see this is a colossal failure, one of the biggest in the history of the league. 

26 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Who was primarily responsible for guarding Bates?

Groce was ALL ABOUT Tribble on the post-game show.  Clearly, the coach's favorite.  Tribble and Hankerson.  From ABJ:

Tribble reaching double figures was of particular note considering his defensive responsibilities. At different points this season, he's learned and then played every position except center, and he's often been tasked with guarding the opponent's best scorer.

"The dude is just a stud in terms of intelligence," Groce said. "If you needed him to play center he could do it, probably. … He's just so versatile both defensively and offensively, and is willing to sacrifice for the team. I have great appreciation for Greg."

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

My thoughts- 

Those California Baptist women are pretty gritty.   Their men's team, not so much.  They got pounded by CMU.

Disregard the comment on the tweet. But here is one of the episodes Bates had last night. His dad came down to the bench multiple times. I’d like to see the young man step away from this mess and go play overseas or just work with a trainer for a bit. This is hurting him big time. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Disregard the comment on the tweet. But here is one of the episodes Bates had last night. His dad came down to the bench multiple times. I’d like to see the young man step away from this mess and go play overseas or just work with a trainer for a bit. This is hurting him big time. 

Is EMU doing such a poor job with Emoni making the MAC as a whole look bad?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is EMU doing such a poor job with Emoni making the MAC as a whole look bad?  

I would say so. A head coach that came directly from the G-league and that has a rocky college basketball record at best isn’t helping the matter. It’s a traveling circus. 

I'd like to see Lyles play under more control, but under Groce that will be fixed. He has a lot of promise and coach has shone the ability to get it out of him. I like the guy's effort and attitude. He will play himself into a big contributor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

We should probably be happy they were only motioning guns.

Very fair! Woke up this morning still thinking about how pathetic that team was. After the game Emoni's brother and Dad hopped into the HANDSHAKE LINE! They have totally ruined that program. PATHETIC display of coaching from Heath

12 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

Very fair! Woke up this morning still thinking about how pathetic that team was. After the game Emoni's brother and Dad hopped into the HANDSHAKE LINE! They have totally ruined that program. PATHETIC display of coaching from Heath

Tuesday:  Time for Bates to right the ship.

7:00 PM

ESPN+

Kent State

(14-34-0MAC)

Eastern Michigan

• Haha 1