Game 18- Central Michigan

clarkwgriswold

Mount Pleasant awaits the Zips this Tuesday as they head north to face the 6-10 Central Michigan Chippewas.  The Chippewas are 1-2 in the MAC and face Buffalo tonight.  The Chippewas Beat Miami yet somehow lost to EMU and NIU.

CMU Is led by Second Team All-MAC 6'0" sophomore guard Kevin Miller at 18.5 ppg.   Miller is an alum of Victory Rock Prep.  6'6" senior guard Brian Taylor scores 14.4 ppg while hauling down 6.6 rpg to lead the Chipps in rebounding.  6'3" junior guard Jesse Zerzuela averages 14.7 ppg.  They were predicted to finish 10th in the MAC this season.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Miller has been hurt for some time now, no idea on the timetable for a return. 

With that said, I think Barbee is a pretty good coach, and Mt. P is always a dreaded bus ride. Bad things could happen. But the Zips have looked much better since MAC play began, that’s for sure. 

Looks like he's been out since their game November 23rd.    Barbee summed it up after the Robert Morris loss-  “It was a product of not having Kevin Miller, the best point guard in our conference,” said head coach Tony Barbee. “He is the head of our ship and it's obvious when he's not available to play, we do not have a point guard.” 

Somehow, that Miller-less team beat Michigan then lost to EMU.

Talking about the 19-20 team has become something I do very regularly. I guess that’s how I like to gauge a truly great team. The thing that separated them from most Groce teams was their ability to win, and win BIG on the road. They went up to Mt. P on Valentine’s Day 3 years ago and smacked the Chips. Last year was a struggle to watch, as the Zips did everything in the power to try to lose. This CMU team is improved when they’re healthy. This will be no easy feat, not that anyone was expecting it to be. I’d be very surprised to see Akron win by more than 10. Go Zips!

Great article on Hunter.  We have seen 3 players on the Zips that have shown "flashes" of being offensive contributors, Tavari, Hunter and Hankerson.  However, they just have not been consistent.  If all 3 become contributors, we are looking at a really good team.  However, it takes the air out of the ball when Hunter and Hankerson continually miss from long range.  Looking forward to these 3 having big games.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Talking about the 19-20 team has become something I do very regularly. I guess that’s how I like to gauge a truly great team. The thing that separated them from most Groce teams was their ability to win, and win BIG on the road. They went up to Mt. P on Valentine’s Day 3 years ago and smacked the Chips. Last year was a struggle to watch, as the Zips did everything in the power to try to lose. This CMU team is improved when they’re healthy. This will be no easy feat, not that anyone was expecting it to be. I’d be very surprised to see Akron win by more than 10. Go Zips!

So about that 

• Haha 1

Awesome, seems like Hunter and Hankerson have really begun to find their roles. I think this is a great stretch for this team to gain confidence especially for the younger guys. Lyles provides some more good minutes. Only negative thing about the game is Freeman didn't get his stats, onto WMU who is currently in a dog fight with Ball State 

9 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

Not the same thread , but , W. Mich and Ball St tied at 68, with 1' 04" left in Muncie

yes.  watching now.  coming down to last shot.  yuck.  and with 17 seconds and the ball WMU works the clock down and settles for a Brian Walsh style jump shot...with the same result.

Edited by NWAkron