Game 18- Central Michigan

clarkwgriswold

Big time road kill! A solid performance across the board. Nobody in particular stood out as amazing, and nobody bad. Program win! Definitely could have shot it better, especially X. But the looks are there. Nice games for the young guys. Onto Kalamazoo! Should be a good one. Go Zips!!!

• Like 3

If we can get offense from Hankerson and Hunter and continue playing good defense this team can compete.  Great to have a blowout road win.  Really like the fast break points in the first half.  This was a team effort.  It seemed the last 6 minutes were a whistle frenzy and the game really slowed down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Great article on Hunter.  We have seen 3 players on the Zips that have shown "flashes" of being offensive contributors, Tavari, Hunter and Hankerson.  However, they just have not been consistent.  If all 3 become contributors, we are looking at a really good team.  However, it takes the air out of the ball when Hunter and Hankerson continually miss from long range.  Looking forward to these 3 having big games.  

You got your wish ... kinda. Hank and Hunter are getting consistent. They were part of a balanced attack. I think Hank is playing better D and picking his shot better too. Hunter looks comfortable now shooting his 3's. Tavari is just what he is, a promising freshman who is playing like a freshmen. 2 outta 3 ain't bad.  

18 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

You got your wish ... kinda. Hank and Hunter are getting consistent. They were part of a balanced attack. I think Hank is playing better D and picking his shot better too. Hunter looks comfortable now shooting his 3's. Tavari is just what he is, a promising freshman who is playing like a freshmen. 2 outta 3 ain't bad.  

Nate Johnson was a third contributor tonight with a 3 at the buzzer and some nice plays.  I think he had a bad turnover when he had a behind the back dribble in traffic that was a turnover.  Tavari had a great pass to Tribble for a fantastic dunk that will make the highlight reel.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Nate Johnson was a third contributor tonight with a 3 at the buzzer and some nice plays.  I think he had a bad turnover when he had a behind the back dribble in traffic that was a turnover.  Tavari had a great pass to Tribble for a fantastic dunk that will make the highlight reel.

That dunk is on Zips Instagram along with the chest bump.   Whoever does social media for Akron loves Tribble.

• Like 1

Groce said postgame that a few guys have been under the weather with what sounds like a stomach bug. Sammy getting sick throughout the night, and X was far from 100%. You could see X struggling a bit. 

Another thing I noticed was aggression on defense. When Groce complains about them being too "soft" I think this is one of those things he's referring to. They could have probably been called for more fouls, but I liked the aggression of getting a hand on the offensive player and not being afraid of contact. That could be something that comes back to bite them in other games, but it played into the Zips' favor last night. 

43 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Groce said postgame that a few guys have been under the weather with what sounds like a stomach bug. Sammy getting sick throughout the night, and X was far from 100%. You could see X struggling a bit. 

Another thing I noticed was aggression on defense. When Groce complains about them being too "soft" I think this is one of those things he's referring to. They could have probably been called for more fouls, but I liked the aggression of getting a hand on the offensive player and not being afraid of contact. That could be something that comes back to bite them in other games, but it played into the Zips' favor last night. 

Lurch the referee wanted to get home!

A "balanced attack" is what we've all been hoping for. It was very top-two heavy for the first half of the season. We'll see how the MAC opponents adjust now that the word is out that Hunter is starting to consistently bury the open 3. Seems like Hankerson might have found his comfort zone as the wing that can drain lot of open looks when opponents double down on Freeman. 

Tavari still seems to be playing at 78 rpm. Still pressing, and lacking confidence. Hoping it "clicks" for him sometime soon. His development timetable, and getting some serviceable play from someone in the post aside from Freeman, are the two keys to this group reaching their max potential.

Great road win last night. Fun to watch the team develop, as it always is with Groce's teams. 

• Like 6