Game 19- Western Michigan

clarkwgriswold

Kalamazoo awaits the Zips as they head into the University Arena Saturday afternoon for tilt against the 6-12 WMU Broncos.

The Broncos are 2-3 in the MAC with wins against EMU and BG and losses to PCCC, Toledo and Ball State.  The Broncos nearly pulled off a win against Ball State last night losing by only one to Ball State on a layup by Payton Sparks with 15 seconds left in the game. Lamar Norman Jr. posted his third 30-point game of the season with a game-high 31 points.  The 6'1" Norman, another Duquesne transfer, leads WMU scoring at 18.6 ppg.   6'7" redshirt junior forward Markeese Hastings leads rebounding at an impressive 10 rpg.   

34 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

This is one of those scary "should" win games on a Saturday in Kalamazoo.  Broncos gave Ball State a scare, so hopefully we're not taking this one for granted.  Guessing the Zips will be favored by 6-8 points here, but I wouldn't touch that with 10' pole.

I'd hope the Zips wouldn't take anyone for granted, particularly on the road. We were a few bounces away from losing to an equally as bad BGSU. In the MAC anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

• Like 4

^^Great article by GT.

John Groce on the 4 freshmen: "Amani keeps getting better. Tavari, he keeps getting better. Kobe keeps understanding more of what we need from him...Nate Johnson had a great game the other night..."

Interesting, and gracious way of complimenting Kobe. I think Kobe's going to transfer down a level after this season.

GT on Greg Tribble's defense: To get a feel for his defensive skills, look at the clamps he put on the Eagles’ Emoni Bates, the Mid-American Conference’s leading scorer who was held to two points on 1-of-12 shooting against the Zips.

John Groce on Enrique Freeman: “He's having a phenomenal experience of maxing out everything that Akron has to offer,” Groce said, “and so that's pretty neat.”

Enrique has already earned his bachelor's degree and is now working on his master's. 🙏💪💪

• Thanks 1

Nice read indeed. The group has come a long way since Game 1, no doubt about that. I feel really bad for Kobe because he has developed into a reliable defender who plays his behind off at that side of the floor. He’s just really struggling to find his jumper. There’s a lot worse guys we could have in that 9th foster spot, but he could be so much better. Definitely on the “Portal Watch”

55 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

John Groce on Enrique Freeman: “He's having a phenomenal experience of maxing out everything that Akron has to offer,” Groce said, “and so that's pretty neat.”

Can we read into that passage that he's probably not going to be at UA for his final year of eligibility?

15 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Can we read into that passage that he's probably not going to be at UA for his final year of eligibility?

I don't interpret it that way, but that may be some type of a denial mechanism on my part!  I interpret it as Enrique is taking advantage of all that UA has to offer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This is certainly something that will need to be discussed at some point, I'm sure @Hilltopper has more inside info. But he's been at Akron for a long time now. IIRC, he was academically a sophomore when he began playing in the 19-20 season. He's now in his 4th year in the program, 5th year of college, and would be picked up by many high-majors in a heartbeat, and I'm sure he could get himself a nice NIL deal. Or he could go overseas and play forever. I just don't see him returning. They announce him last in the pregame intros too, which the usually save for guys with no eligibility left. Not scientific, but something to think about. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

This is certainly something that will need to be discussed at some point, I'm sure @Hilltopper has more inside info. But he's been at Akron for a long time now. IIRC, he was academically a sophomore when he began playing in the 19-20 season. He's now in his 4th year in the program, 5th year of college, and would be picked up by many high-majors in a heartbeat, and I'm sure he could get himself a nice NIL deal. Or he could go overseas and play forever. I just don't see him returning. They announce him last in the pregame intros too, which the usually save for guys with no eligibility left. Not scientific, but something to think about. 

To quote a song:  Nothing is so good it lasts eternally.  Perfect situations must go wrong.

54 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Lalalalalalalalalala....I'm not listening, I'm not listening (hands over ears).

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I took it as - hey rest of the roster, this could be you.

Not to say he'll be back or not, I just don't read that quote as any signaling of Enrique's future here.

See what happens when GT actually talks to a coach?

It could be "...hey roster, this could be you..." ...it could be a veiled dig at those who've left...it could foreshadow the handing-over of his framed jersey at the 2023 Senior Night...it could be nothing but an appreciation for his effort and loyalty...thank God there are message boards available to debate it. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

WMU was within a few baskets of beating KSUcks. They rebound well, but are Jekyll & Hyde with their shooting. If they're on, they're going to be tough to beat. If not, it's a win.  

"but are Jekyll & Hyde with their shooting"  This quote sounds like us