Chase Blackburn

Johnny Utah

It is my understanding, other than any bonus money he may get, pro football contracts( unlike other pro sports) are not guaranteed. If so, then what is the significance of the fourth year of his contrac t being voidable if he can be cut this year and not receive a dime of the non bonus money. Please educate me if I am wrong. B)

sure, the team can cut a player at any time, but when a player signs the contract he now has an incentive to play well enough so that does not happen. the fourth year option helps the team because it can lock-in the player at a previously contracted salary for the fourth year, which could be a good deal for the team if the player is still playing well. but if the team decides it is not in its interest to exercise the option, then obviously the fourth year option is meaningless. as a gm, i would like to have as many contracts as possible with option years because it would give me, not the players and their agents, more control over the make-up of team and the salaries paid. by agreeing to the option year, the player is giving up some future leverage, but i'm sure that's part of the give and take of the negotiations.i'm no expert on this, but that's my sense of how things work. please correct me if i'm wrong.as a fan i kind of like the no-guaranteed-money contracts in the nfl. that way, if a team signs a player who is a bust, it can cut him and not have to pay him. that's why the agents for the top football draft picks love that non-fundable bonus money up front.

What's somewhat surprising to me is that Chase Blackburn is even playing in the NFL.I think most of us regarded him as a very solid MAC football player, but I don't think many of us anticipated what we've seen from him in the NFL.If he does indeed win a starting job, that would be great. I'm sure he's had to work very hard to get it. And remember....every ex-Zip that plays in the NFL means more free publicity for the U of A.

It is my understanding, other than any bonus money he may get, pro football contracts( unlike other pro sports) are not guaranteed. If so, then what is the significance of the fourth year of his contrac t being voidable if he can be cut this year and not receive a dime of the non bonus money. Please educate me if I am wrong. B)
If they cut him in the middle of his contract, the team takes a cap hit. With the voidable 4th year, they can let him become a free agent without taking the hit, or they can keep him there a 4th year. It's a much better situation for the team than for Chase.

What's somewhat surprising to me is that Chase Blackburn is even playing in the NFL.I think most of us regarded him as a very solid MAC football player, but I don't think many of us anticipated what we've seen from him in the NFL.If he does indeed win a starting job, that would be great. I'm sure he's had to work very hard to get it. And remember....every ex-Zip that plays in the NFL means more free publicity for the U of A.
i personally have always believed that he would make a solid player in the NFL. I was around him a good amount since i have friends that play for akron U. he has a great work ethic, and bust's his butt to give 100% in everything he does. im glad to see him doing things in thr NFL...... especially since he plays for my all time favorite NFL team :)