"Linebacker U" takes a big hit

I like our chances against these guys more and more each day!!! :rolltide:

Sales, Brown to get playing time for PSUBy Rob Biertempfel

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Penn State's linebacker corps might soon have more of a western Pennsylvania flavor.

Friday, coach Joe Paterno said two former WPIAL standouts -- true freshmen Dontey Brown (McKeesport) and Tyrell Sales (Butler) -- likely will play more than expected this season.

BranDon Snow, who was in the mix for playing time at middle linebacker, broke his right foot during preseason camp and will be out six to eight weeks. While Snow recovers from surgery, Brown and Sales have a chance to show what they can do. Snow's injury made Tim Shaw, a former tailback, the de facto starter at middle 'backer. The two had been waging an even battle for the job until Snow broke his foot last week.

Senior Derek Wake and sophomore Paul Posluszny (Hopewell) will start at the outside linebacker spots. Backing them up will be Dan Connor, a freshman who enrolled in January, and sophomore J.R. Zwierzynski.

"We had a meeting this morning, and I was the only (upperclassman) in the room," said Wake, who this week was named one of the team's two co-captains.

"Those other guys are young and they're making big plays. They haven't played much, but when we're out there in practice, you couldn't tell. I'm definitely looking forward to going out there on Saturday and playing with those guys."

Penn State opens its season at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 4 at home against Akron.

Cornerback Alan Zemaitis has been slowed during camp by a shoulder injury, but is expected to play against Akron.

Safety Chris Harrell, who has been out since the spring with a neck injury, will not play this season. Paterno said Harrell will take a redshirt and should be ready to play in 2005.

Snow isn't too big of a loss since he was behind Tim Shaw on the depth chart anyway. Alan Z is 100 % and is a shutdown corner. I'd be VERY conserned about Paul Poslusney and Derek Wake coming from the outside backer spots.

Linebacker and Secondary are the strong parts of PSU's D.

Snow isn't too big of a loss since he was behind Tim Shaw on the depth chart anyway.  Alan Z is 100 % and is a shutdown corner.    I'd be VERY conserned about Paul Poslusney and Derek Wake coming from the outside backer spots.

Linebacker and Secondary are the strong parts of PSU's D.

Did these guys start last year ?

Did these guys start last year ?

Poslusney, Wake and Zemaitis all started. Zemaitis may be the best corner in the Big 10. Poslusney was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team by Sporting News last year. Wake led the team in tackles-for-loss last year. The secondary is definitley our strong point this year, which will make this game interesting with Frye.

PSU 35

Zips 17

Dr. Z,

I'll let you decide that on Saturday. He may not have the chance to prove me right or wrong since I will be in your backfield all day.

Poz

You should spend more time on your playbook and less on the internet, poz. How bad will it suck to lose to the Zips on your home field? It's gotta hurt...

Thanks for your concern. I'm doing just fine. 28 hours left, I can't wait.

Good luck. I'll keep an eye on you and give you my evaluation on the board Monday.

Check back on Monday with some insight. Should be interesting to hear your opinion.

PS Keep on eye on #44 when your on the sideline. :blink:

I think the photo of Poz is from a weight-lifting and fitness competition the team holds each summer to raise money for cancer research. They move it from the very nice weight room to the indoor practice facility so that donors can attend. The team started the fund-raiser after three or four of their parents were diagnosed with cancer in a very short period.

I think the photo of Poz is from a weight-lifting and fitness competition the team holds each summer to raise money for cancer research. They move it from the very nice weight room to the indoor practice facility so that donors can attend. The team started the fund-raiser after three or four of their parents were diagnosed with cancer in a very short period.

Sorry to hear about the rash of cancer cases. How much money has the team raised? Does the weightlifting competition have a name?

newtrack2-lg.jpg

Dr. Z,

Did #44 play?

According to the stats Chase had two tackles, you had one?

It is very hard to get a feel for how a particular player did watching the game on tv like I did.

I saw you on tv 3 times. First time Frye looked you off to his right and gunned one to an open Hixon on a

skinny post. Second time I saw you jump on a pile when the play was over. Thrid time I saw you line up in punt coverage.

That was pretty much it, so I can't say that you played a good or bad game.

If this is you (which I doubt) do you have any other insight on the game that a fan at the game or

watching on tv would not know or see ?

PS I watched the Penn State preview on Fox Pittsburgh before the game, they did a small piece on #31.

Apparently you missed the forced interception caused by my superman style leap over your pass protection and into the backfield.

Of course this is not Poz. Why would any player be on here? I obviously have too much free time and need a hobby.

Good luck next week!