Official Akron Football Schedule!

ZachTheZip

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Army game was supposed to be on the raod this year. But they did us a favor and moved it to Browns Stadium.As far as Indiana I was told that Akron pushed to have the game moved so they did not have to play it at the rubber bowl and then have the Hoosiers come back when the new one is built.4 home games the administration wants the fewest home games as they can get by with. Apparently they don't care much for the rubber bowl.

What am I missing here? Over the last year manynof you have been complaining because we do not have enough home games. I DO NOT CONSIDER PLAYING IN CLEVELAND A HOME GAME AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU.The players from both schools will enjoy playing in a pro stadium. However, has anyone thought about expenses. Everything will have to be trucked from the RB to Cleveland.And for the fans, you thought parking at the Bowl was bad and expensive, wait until you get to Cleveland.As a fan for many more years than some of you are old, THIS JUST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad_flame::mad_flame::gun::mad_flame::gun:

i like the schedule. the players are already used to this format so five (yes five) home games wont be a challenge. the non conference games are great, one money game and 3 very winnable games. i like the fact that we go to u conn as the zips are doing a lot of recruiting in the maryland area. the mac schedule is much better as a majority of akron's tougher games are at the bowl. getting temple and ub helps tremendously. the army game will do well for attendance as the university and the browns will "paper" the hell out of the game. great experience to take the family the browns stadium on the cheap and great tailgating. finally there's a lot or opportunity for television exposure this year. already 4 games on espn. the osu game will be on t.v. for sure and there's a chance for the other 3 games to get picked up. also expect the Can't game to be picked up by fsn. that's at least half the games probably 7 on t.v. is it a perfect schedule? of course not. is it better than last year? hell yes! :screwks:

I am confused...was Indiana originally scheduled to play at Akron and Western Mich?  Does anyone understand the dynamics behind playing Army in Cleveland?  Odd unless we are making extra cash on it.  And if we were willing to do that then why didn't we take the Ohio State game in Cleveland rather than ceding it to Toledo.The schedule issue was the point of my topic a week ago-- assuming we have a new stadium in 2009 (still seems aggressive to me to think it will be ready to go that quickly), we have 2 years to get an exciting schedule in place that will build on the momentum of a new stadium and hopefully 2 solid seasons.  Having Kentucky be the only "marquee" opponent in that inaugural season falls way short of the goal for me.  I don't mind if we continue to have crappy schedules the next 2 seasons (in addition to this past year) if we are collecting chits that secure a great schedule of impressive opponents once we have the stadium in place.  Kentucky and Indiana aren't that.
I see your point LA Zips Fan. I'm not sure the Zips can count on drawing any huge name teams for the 2009 season at home. Perhaps the other logical choice would be Pitt or West Virginia, but can't imagine either of these two recruiting rivals coming to Akron. The scheduling of Kentucky and Indiana though perhaps not the most glamourous makes sense in that Akron can boast of a Big Ten and SEC school visiting, and Kentucky and Indiana can fulfill their 2 games at home and 1 at Akron contract while also getting what they would consider a winnable game on the road. Kentucky's program is not that bad either, and by 2009 they may bring a fine club up here.

If it's promoted right the game in Browns stadium could be a very good deal.If it's promoted like most everything else lately, it will probably be crap.
Certainly can't count on the MAC to promote it. They can't properly promote a basketball tournament in an arena that's connected via walkway to the building where their offices are located. How could they possibly promote a football game in a stadium that's a number of blocks down the street? :zzz:

The whole idea of conserving the Rubber Bowl is nonsense. If they really wanted to stop the place from crumbling, they would cancel the 15 or so high-school games they have played there every year, some of which draw 20,000-25,000 fans. That's three times the amount of games we play there each year. I think they are building a nice list of "return games" to play at our new stadium. Of course, the big teams usually pay their way out of our contracts with us so they don't have to play us at home, so take it with a grain of salt.

If the Army game went from an away game to being at Cleveland Stadium, then that is all for the better. And I've always thought playing a game at the Stadium was a great idea, but only if the opponent really warranted it. Not sure that Army warrants it-- just not a big enough name. I love the ideaing of playing Ohio State or another Big Ten team there (like BG did last year and Toledo is doing in 2 years). I HATE the idea that Toledo and BG is playing a game in what should be our turf. I can deal with Can't, but no one else.My point on this scheduling issue is we need to shake up the perception--literally, the default mental model-- that NEOhioians have of Akron football. The stadium, winning, crowds, some national attention will have an impact. However, scheduling BCS teams at home will be needed to reach a tipping point of support. I would like us to have 3 BSC home games in the inaugural season of the stadium and 2 the other years. Any Big 10 teams (and if it is just impossible to imagine Ohio State, how about Penn State which has played at Toledo and seems to have a good relationship with UA), Vandy, BC, Syracuse, Virginia, Vir Tech, Maryland, Kentucky, West Vir, NC State, S Carolina, UNC, Duke, Wake, etc. We have a window to hit the reset button on the perception, the expectations, of what UA is and can be. As the events of the last weekend have amply demonstrated, the window is narrow for us. Winning isn't enough. We have to be hitting on all cylinders.

I live in Lakewood, literally 5 minutes from Browns stadium. For me to bike/drive/take the RTA down to the game to see MY ZIPS play ARMY and be able to tailgate and hangout before/after the game is AWESOME!!!! You people on here who are whining STOP IT!!! The game is going to be a fun time. The atmosphere will be major league. The teams will be pumped. When a play happens, you'll actually hear what the announcer says. There all kinds of restaurants/bars nearby in the Warehouse District. Lakewood is right down the street where many more cool drinking/eating establishments are located.So it is not at our BELOVED rubber bowl.....GOOD!! I enjoy my tailgaiting as much as anyone, but to be able to do so and see MY ZIPS in a professional setting will be a pleasant surprise. And I do not have to drive to Columbus or Connecticut to do so.Make it AN EVENT...come up to Clevetown a day early...get a cheap hotel room here: Days Inn Cleveland Lakewood12019 Lake AveWest 117th St. & Clifton BlvdCleveland, OH, 44107 US 216-226-4800.Set up ZIPS Headquarters here: The Happy Dog5801 Detroit Avenue • Cleveland, Ohio • 44102on the SouthWest corner of West 58th and Detroit www.happydog58.comGo here:Great LAKES Brewing CompanyHave fun with this. Make it a Labor Day mini-vacation. Believe me, after growing up and living in Akron for 25 years, a weekend in Clevetown with your Zips and friends will be worth it!~Chris :D ***my 2 cents***

I'm sorry, but the idea of playing a game by the lake sounds great to me. I imagine some crystal blue september sky, sailboats on the lake, and a football afternoon feel!Advertising should target people who aren't currently zip fans but who love football and would like to see a game in browns stadium at non-NFL prices. It would be a good way to get interest from Akron's bigest suburb up by the lake.

I don't have strong feelings about this schedule either way. On the one hand, we could be 2-2 after the first four games...that would be good. What really concerns me is that we could be 2-4 after the first six games and have our backs against the wall, again, for another forced late season run with games on the road against BG and Miami. I don't like having to go 5-1 in the last six for a +500 record and a chance for a bid to a bowl game if we don't win the division.The game at Browns Stadium is nothing but a positive for the program. The Rubber Bowl is a dump and only idiots (like us, me included) look forward to games out there. Everyone wants the Zips to be NE Ohio's team...well, here is our chance to play on the biggest stage in the area, in the biggest population center with a chance to shine and possibly attract some out of county fans to some Zips games. I don't know if the time is posted, but can you imagine the fun of going to Cleveland and spending a nice summer day in the flats or in the Warehouse District and then spending a fun Saturday night at the game. I don't see how it could be a negative.The other games are as expeced. We alternate home and away with our division each year and we still owe WMU a back end of a home and home. I don't like Connecticut on the road, again. Losing this game will not hurt our MAC record though...if we lose.I also don't like having to play CMU a third year in a row. The CMU game, more than anything, bothers me because we have not played EMU in a while and we should be due for a West cupcake to come to the RB. This is a point where I think we could be critical of Mack's scheduling. He has almost no influence over non-conference games as he has almost no cards to play. No D-1A team wants to bring their team to Akron to play in front of only a handful of paying customers and I don't want to go back to the days of Liberty, Howard and Cal Poly. Conference games are different and this game more than any really sticks out to me as one where the MAC wants to try to stick it to Akron.One blessing is we get to play Temple in lieu of Toledo this year. The addition of them to our league saved us from having to play Toledo again. We do not match up well against Toledo's offense. I'd rather play Temple on the road than Toledo at home. Does this balance out the CMU game?.....I don't know.The week night games blow. I understand the need to get on national TV, but going to the RB on a week night is just depressing.

Crap now I have a really important decision to make...Go to best friend's wedding... or Akron/Can't game (OF COURSE he had to schedule it on the 22nd)
Anyone who schedules a wedding the day of the Akron/Can't game should change the day of the wedding or is not really your friend.

This is a point where I think we could be critical of Mack's scheduling. He has almost no influence over non-conference games as he has almost no cards to play.
Almost no influence? I wonder if he could even get UTEP to come play us. By the way, hasn't he been here a year now?

This is a point where I think we could be critical of Mack's scheduling. He has almost no influence over non-conference games as he has almost no cards to play.
Almost no influence? I wonder if he could even get UTEP to come play us. By the way, hasn't he been here a year now?
Why would UTEP come to Akron to play us when they can schedule New Mexico and Texas Southern at home and Texas Tech and New Mexico State on the road in non-conference games? All of those games involve less travel for all teams/fans and they are regional match ups that include interest for local fans. Does anyone think they would make more money playing UofA than Texas Tech or New Mexico?I'm not here to make excuses for Mack. In fact, they need to change how they do some things. You're right about him being here a year and not much happening that the average person can see. Rasor is right in his post when he says they need to make a splash and soon. His hands are financially tied though and in more than anything, scheduling for football really shows.Personally, I have not been sitting around with bated breath waiting for the UTEP vs. UofA match-up. Mack's influence on the UTEP Athletic Department ended the day he packed his bags and moved to Akron.This year we will play Army, OSU, Indiana and Connecticut. I have no problem with those games. Mack needs to get some influence in conference games so we do not have to play a team like CMU three years in a row. Home and home is enough with the West.

Mack needs to get some influence in conference games so we do not have to play a team like CMU three years in a row.
How can you influence the MAC? And why would you want to influence the MAC office? They are set on their agenda, what ever that is. Don't let me mislead you GP1, I don't think Mack Rhoades could influence anyone. But if he could expend any energy, it should be to get UA out of the MAC Conference.
it amazing how indiana was able to cry their way out of coming to akron to play
Hey Tommyboy, UA opted out of this. The current administration want to minimize the number of games played in the Rubber Bowl.

it amazing how indiana was able to cry their way out of coming to akron to play
Hey Tommyboy, UA opted out of this. The current administration want to minimize the number of games played in the Rubber Bowl.
Why on earth do we allow 10+ highschool games to be played there every year, then?

i think the schedule stinks.if we dont win the army game we could start out 0-4.how did the indiana game get changed. we also have western,and central not easy games. not to sound negative,but i think 6-6 would be a good mark since we have no kicker ,replacing the entire o-line,and qb.

Sorry I just don't consider a game in Cleveland Stadium a home game. To me four games at home and eight on the road leave a little bit to be desired. And of the four home games only two (Can't & Ohio) get me excited. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Of course the Cleveland Stdm game IS NOT A HOME GAME....DUH!!!If it was a home game it would be at the RB....but come on, why be so literal?!!The Zips now get in a bus, drive a car the 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic, to the RB for gameday. What is the big deal with them sitting on a bus for 35-40 mins to Cleveland stadium?!It is a lot closer to home than ARMY IS.....SO LETS CONSIDER IT A HOME GAME PEOPLE.Let's bring banners, bring all the AK Rowdies, bring busses of fan and make it feel like a RB game.Besides the facilities are 10x nicer than the RB...and now with all the restrictions at the bowl (where to park, where to sit) the stadium WILL FEEL just like home :thumb: ~chris

After ranting the other evening, I have given this some more thought.From a PR standpoint this is a good move. Also, since it is being considered a home game, if it is promoted properly, attendance should be very good.From a personal view, THIS IS NOT A HOME GAME! We are playing at a neutral location and just being named the home team.Since it is being considered a home game, this still means we are playing on the road for 7 games. What happened to Mack ttrying to balance the schedule? And don;t erven give me that tommyrot that they are setting the scheduel up for 2009. We still have 07 & 08 to deal with and what ahppens if we don't get the funding necessary for the new stadium? We are screwed big time.