Spring Game Notes

74ZIP

My fast, random notes regarding the Spring game:* I've never learned less in watching a Zips scrimmage or practice than I did Sunday night. It was a nice little exhibition...but you're really reaching if you say you really learned anything.* Hakes looked fine running...but who doesn't when you're wearing a red jersey?* Jackson and Jacqmain didn't impress with their arms. But who would if the top 4 returning Zips wide receivers sat out?* Aaris Reed was noticably absent. I think you'll need a 4-deep roster to find his name come this September. His stock is slipping. He's already behind Kennedy, Allen and Walker.* A fullback, inside-the-tackle run to start the game? Shocker! * Nice to see Kennedy healthy, but he didn't really show much Sunday.* Andrew Johnson didn't show much either.* None of the WR's that played looked all that good...but that's why they're 5-8 on the depth chart. And, again, who looks good when you have three first year QB's running the offense.* I thought Estrada handled himself well.* Vikto Rajec is a great story...but at this time a very VERY rough DL. He's a project.* Lemon looks like he can contribute this year. He needs to get stronger, but he has skills and some fire.* I love Andre Jones.* Lively looks fitter at 285 than he did last season. * Nate Robinson acquitted himself well. Fought hard all game and had a bounce in his step. It seems like his overall attitude has improved?* I think Evan Laube is underrated. Look for him to kick some butt on special teams this year. And to do well if he gets the opportunity to play some safety.* I think Wally Pendelton can at least give us what Nate Robinson gave us last year. 10-15 reps. He's come a long way.* I didn't notice Tevin Petit-Frere at all. I expected to see something from him...but it is WAY early.* I can't believe the punting was as bad as it looked. Had to be the coaches not wanting to put a hole in the ceiling. I hope. Otherwise...hoo boy.* Phillip Morris was the most impressive RB. He's a walk on. In my opinion, his destiny is to transfer to Winston-Salem.* Please get healthy, Igor!! Please!! * It was funny to watch the soccer guys kicking at the half...and in front of the entire football team. It almost appeard like JD was sending a message to his kickers by letting them put on the exhibition. "McClain Part 2" this fall at a stadium near you? * Love Poindexter. He looks to be in top form.* I liked the "over 30" catagory for the punt pas and kick promo. Thank God few were there to see me run the 40.

Maybe you can weigh in on this Cap, but one position battle that I've heard very little about this spring is tight end. It was my understanding that after Kasparek's rather underwelming season last year he was in danger of being passed up by Poindexter. Anybody take note of this position during the Spring game? Any idea who the starter will be come September?

Maybe you can weigh in on this Cap, but one position battle that I've heard very little about this spring is tight end. It was my understanding that after Kasparek's rather underwelming season last year he was in danger of being passed up by Poindexter. Anybody take note of this position during the Spring game? Any idea who the starter will be come September?
I'm guessing they'll continue to split time. With the QB situation as it is, we're going to be running a lot. And have a lot of dump passes. They'll be 2-tight end sets aplenty.

:( i hope the ability of the wideouts improves with the mending of Arthur and Lindsay cause those guys were not getting open on Sunday...you're that stupid rollout punt is just that...stupid...hell they don't have anyone who can punt consistently from the deep formation...who is going to be the place kicker? hard to tell if either Igor or Matt is ahead...the QB's?...i still get bad vibes with Jackson on the field...is he a leader?

This is not reguarding the game but the lousy marketing. I got there about 20 minutes before 4 and they were out of the roster sheets. WTF is going on -I am really beginning to see the lousy job they do. I was at the BB banquet tonight and they announced the lady that is in charge-hope she gets on the ball!!! :zzz:

This is not reguarding the game but the lousy marketing. I got there about 20 minutes before 4 and they were out of the roster sheets. WTF is going on -I am really beginning to see the lousy job they do. I was at the BB banquet tonight and they announced the lady that is in charge-hope she gets on the ball!!! :zzz:
it depends where you came in at, i saw they had some up top if you came from upstairs (by the basketball courts) they also had alot of them on tables set up on both ends of the field. The one thing i dont get is when i got there at 3 and asked one of the ladies at the table about the skills competition they said they were not sure where to sign up for it.......these are things that they should know.

i still get bad vibes with Jackson on the field...is he a leader?
From everything I know....No. I want Jackson to develop into the guy, but I just don't see it happening. It seems like I'm all by myself here in thinking that we'll see Jacquemain emerge from all of this.

Hey I don't know what game you were watching but CJ completed 2 of his 12 or so passes and only gained 1 first down the entire scrimmage. Hakes was by far the most impressive followed by Jacquemain. CJ had negative rushing yards while Hakes had around 40 yards rushing and Jacquemain had around 20 yards (w/o sacks into the equation).please look at the stats again. jac just looked awful! you could argue that hakes played better and i am fine with that. my point is that he forces too many balls. that interception he threw was not only called by myself but three other guys sitting there. we were all saying don't do it, then he did. i just think he's a year away. as for cj, he would have broken off several long rushes if it wasn't for some taps on the back of his jersey. another thing going for hakes was he had the 3rd sting wr's against 3 rd string db's and cj had 3rd sting against 1st stringers. i don't really recall anyone being open while he was out there unless it was for a minimal gain (that is what he took). :screwks:

please look at the stats again. jac just looked awful! you could argue that hakes played better and i am fine with that. my point is that he forces too many balls. that interception he threw was not only called by myself but three other guys sitting there. we were all saying don't do it, then he did. i just think he's a year away. as for cj, he would have broken off several long rushes if it wasn't for some taps on the back of his jersey. another thing going for hakes was he had the 3rd sting wr's against 3 rd string db's and cj had 3rd sting against 1st stringers. i don't really recall anyone being open while he was out there unless it was for a minimal gain (that is what he took). :screwks:
The stats they recorded are a little off because had had 4 pass attempts just on that final drive and he somehow had only 8 attempts total??? but whatever it doesn't matterYou watched the game, so let's look at the arguement you're trying to make, "Jackson played better than Jacquemain". Jackson:First off I can't name one positive thing that Jackson did, can you? He scrambled but tended to run backwards and get touched by the surrounding three DL or Linebackers. He might be athletic BUT he did run a 4.8 last spring so there's not too much he could have down to salvage the play 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He also consistently threw into covered recievers (all his deep balls). Lastly I didn't like his attitude when the drive (or lack there of was over) he would unstrap his helmet and WALK off the field, not talking to anybody on the team. Interesting fact I just realized, Jackson has never thrown a TD pass in a college game yet, not last spring game, past season or this game.JacquemainI'll be the first one to admit he didn't look "amazing", but if the WR catches that dropped fade pass, we might be talking about Jacquemain and Hakes being the most impressive QB in this game. He ran the ball decently... which is more than you can say for Jackson (BTW all 3 QB's dealt with the same rule so it doesn't matter about it being touch). I also liked his command of the offense he seemd very confident out there. He got a few first downs and played pretty average. P.S. I don't know if you were paying close attention but Jacquemain and Hakes also ran the first team Offense because there were 3 QB's and only 1st and 2nd team O and D, so as they rotated they each played both, even CJ.

they didn't play straight up 1's on 1's when the other two qb's were in. granted some starters were in. i understand your concern with cj's "demeanor" and i don't still don't know what to make of it. i remember many times were he was pumping up this teammates but other times looking very reclusive. to me this is a two person race with cj and hakes. i still think hakes has a ways to go. while cj forced a few balls deep they were in single coverage. hakes forced balls into the middle of the field. i thought the nation was sick of watching that as luke did this at least twice a game last year. it appears akron will try to run the ball a lot this year and they need a qb to not make mistakes and make things happen with his feet. every time i see cj i think of ron rutherford whom j.d. coached at pitt. he wasn't the purest qb but he was a very poised athlete at the qb spot. both of these guys have ability, i just hope whomever wins the job takes it and runs with it! :screwks:

every time i see cj i think of ron rutherford whom j.d. coached at pitt. he wasn't the purest qb but he was a very poised athlete at the qb spot. both of these guys have ability, i just hope whomever wins the job takes it and runs with it!
Rutherford, if memory serves me right was a pretty prolific passer with the target of Larry Fitzgerald to throw at... I might be wrong but that's besides the point. I think I agree with you that it's a two man race between Jackson and Hakes right now. But if you base it solely on who's throwing into worse coverage (i don't want any of my QB's throwing into coverage) you're picking the better of two evils. They are both making the same mistake, although one might be worse. JD has called Hakes a "wild card" probably because he will get you TD's and make things happen, but he also has the occasional errant mistake. I'll take a 1td 1int outing from a true freshmen in a spring game anyday. IMO it comes down to this they are very close in talent and similar in their performance this spring with the edge going to Hakes according to Rasor. But to me that doesn't matter, what matters is Hakes seems to have the leadership qualities that Jackson doesn't. After hearing about how he handled himself this spring it makes confident that Hakes will be the next QB. I base that opinion on this, he won 2 state titles in 2 years and it seems to me the kid is a born leader. I'll take a born leader with equal talent over a guy who has reported attitude problems all day.

:D when i refer to cj i mean chris not carlton...i saw nothing Sunday that and i am looking at someone else to be a leader..Getsy did not become a leader tht all the team respected last year..CHARLIE was...Brookhart has allowed himself to be the focus and nobody on the field has taken charge...wake up jd..