New Stadium option ..

Zip Watcher

Reek'n Urinal article: Futbol & Football go together!

How many acres does the U control south of Exchange? CK & JP, you can split the $100million, right?

Rt8, 77, 76 .. that's pretty good access. If Cleveland isn't willing to foot the bill, MT LP & co. should start stumping to get this built with Wolstein on campus. It's funny to me that he says Richfield didn't work last time .. yet he appears willing to do it all over again?

Curious ..

Twenty soccer fields? 120million stadium for soccer? He's nuts. Put his 20 million towards the Zips football stadium...call it the Bart Wolstein Stadium...use field turf and make it Zips/pro soccer combined usage...and everyone wins.

Spending 120 million for a white elephant in Boston Heights is insane.

It's funny you should bring this up. Just last week I sent an email to Akron AD Mike Thomas requesting that he consider this option. I mentioned to him that Mr. Wolstein could pay the Lion's share for the stadium and that the Zips could get an on, or very near to, campus stadium that would be in the 30,000 to 40,000 range. It would be large enough for them and the perfect size for MLS soccer. Unfortunately Mr. Thomas never replied to my email so either he is just too busy for the likes of me, he doesn't like the idea, or Mr. Wolstein isn't interested.

Guest Soccer Roo

Or, he may just be holding it under his hat, or close to his chest. Therre are a lot of factors and considerations that must go into this -- as you could guess.

First, a MLS stadium would (by itself) not be large enough to support a D-1A football program. The newest soccer-only facilities -- the Carson, California national Soccer Stadium, and the Columbus Crew Stadium seat only a little more than 20 thousand, which is the perfect size for MLS (just less than a the amount of ticket demand -- think of the Jake -- allows highest prices to be charged).

But, that shouldn't stand in the way of a deal. With the University and the MLS/Woolstein working together, they could create a facility that meets the needs of both parties. The university will need well in excess of $100 million to build a 30k + seat stadium. Woolstein has already leveraged at least $20 mill from the state, and I'd expect MLS to also kick some in. YES -- Major League Soccer is a viable prospect in Summit County. Let's give real thought at putting it downtown before looking at the boonies like Richfield again.