Zips in the NFL

Dr Z

If I am not mistaken, Manziel is playing in this league, so I'm sure the people that matter will be paying a lot closer attention than normal. Hopefully Jamal has recovered fully from his injury and can make the most of it. He is an NFL talent.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Zips at Browns local prospect workout

Fransohn Bickley, WR
Travon Chapman, WR
AJ Coney, WR
Stephen Ericksen, OL
Kevin Gladney, WR
Mikee Hayes, CB
Jovann Letuli, OL
Manny Morgan, RB
Austin Wolf, WR
Anthony Young, WR

Despite the lack of talent in Cleveland right now, I can only see Ericksen and Letuli having a shot, maybe Coney, but mainly as a practice squad member....thoughts?

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Despite the lack of talent in Cleveland right now, I can only see Ericksen and Letuli having a shot, maybe Coney, but mainly as a practice squad member....thoughts?

The Browns acquired a fair number of players this off season and still have 9 picks in the upcoming draft. I'd be shocked if any of these guys made their opening day roster.

11 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Coney is listed on the Winnipeg roster (as is Jerome Lane).  If any of the other listed Zips make rosters, it will probably be north of the border. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/players/a-j-coney/163897/

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Austin isn't even the best athlete in his family. His younger brother is quite the specimen. Pretty sure he will be a Zip too.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/default.aspx?careerid=30d8a19d-4a48-e611-bef0-a0369f3c1b4c

Judging from that video, Easton Wolf can hit! Hope he decides on the Zips.

10501612.jpg

50 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I wonder if anyone thinks this would've been reality two years ago.

Lane had the skill-set to be an NFL wide receiver. But he really needed to work harder at the craft.

He thought he knew what it took to be an NFL WR, but he was wrong. I still feel in some NFL team would have put him on the 53-man roster last year and worked with him, they'd have had something in 2018 or 19. But who wants to invest that time when there are 100 "Jerome Lane's" out there fighting an NFL roster spot. He didn't separate himself.

Even staying in Akron for his senior season...he'd have put up some serious numbers in 2017 and maybe done enough to convince an NFL team to invest in him.

Unfortunately it looks like the end of the road for his playing career. Unless he wants to hook up with one of these fly-by-night pro leagues that seem to pop up, and then disappear on a monthly basis.

38 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Lane had the skill-set to be an NFL wide receiver. But he really needed to work harder at the craft.

He thought he knew what it took to be an NFL WR, but he was wrong. I still feel in some NFL team would have put him on the 53-man roster last year and worked with him, they'd have had something in 2018 or 19. But who wants to invest that time when there are 100 "Jerome Lane's" out there fighting an NFL roster spot. He didn't separate himself.

Even staying in Akron for his senior season...he'd have put up some serious numbers in 2017 and maybe done enough to convince an NFL team to invest in him.

Unfortunately it looks like the end of the road for his playing career. Unless he wants to hook up with one of these fly-by-night pro leagues that seem to pop up, and then disappear on a monthly basis.

I wonder if he thinks it has less to do with his skills...

I h

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

That was the worst decision of his career. Apparently it is about who you know, because who he knows gave him some atrocious advice. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That was the worst decision of his career. Apparently it is about who you know, because who he knows gave him some atrocious advice. 

Even every blue-and-gold-colored-glasses wearing poster on ZN.o knew Jerome needed another year of seasoning.  And it wasn't because we were being selfish just wanting to see him in a Zips uniform for another year.  During his junior year I was having fun on twitter tweeting & re-tweeting Jerome Lane highlights.  But I really regret tweeting tagging him in tweets & tweeting @ him things like "next-level athlete" and what not.  He obviously needed older men being real with him, giving him good advice & telling him, "Son, you're not ready.  Now go to class, hit the weights & work on your craft."

Idk.  I don't follow the NFL or the draft, but someone said this year's WR class was better than last year's, so that may have been why Jerome left a year early?  Idk.